2GR-FE HEAD GASKET

Another brilliant video from The Car Guru, in this one he is discussing an issue that can occur with a coolant leak at the head gasket, this is on a 2007 Camry almost 200,000 miles and basically it is immaculate, as always his insight is fantastic and his love of this engine is genuine.

Enjoy All

KAA

Another worthwhile video by The Car Nut. Perhaps no surprise that again he is emphasising regular maintenance. Key message of this video is to change the coolant every 80,000 kms / 5 years.

Preventative maintenance is so much cheaper than an engine repair. Certainly important to know the service history of your vehicle particularly if buying a used one.

On a previous road trip a few years ago, I had this issue of a minor coolant leak. i ended up using K-Seal Coolant Leak Repair during the trip home then later removed it from the coolant reservoir. Since then i have been monitoring the coolant level and occassionally topping up.

I very recently used this product on another vehicle https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/k-seal-k-seal-coolant-leak-repair---236ml/357729.html with ecellent results.

Consequently as a preventative measure, i put K-Seal back nto the coolant reservoir for this road trip. No coolant leak issue, as expected.

13 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

This reminds me to get off my butt and do the coolant flush. I'll start prepping now before I forget..

Excellent. I am anticipating your future post complete with photos.

Highly appreciate your OCD approach which contrasts greatly with a minimalist approach. I have not yet done a thorough coolant flush; just a change of coolant in the radiator and overflow reservoir. Follow up has been an annual clean and removal of any sediment in the reservoir. As for the coolant flush, I have been considering doing a radiator drain and refill with distilled water a few times as a possible alternative to undoing any coolant drain plugs on the engine block.

2 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Excellent. I am anticipating your future post complete with photos.

You can bet on it 😉

2 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Highly appreciate your OCD approach which contrasts greatly with a minimalist approach.

I won't be able to sleep at night otherwise.. 😜

3 minutes ago, campbeam said:

I have not yet done a thorough coolant flush; just a change of coolant in the radiator and overflow reservoir. Follow up has been an annual clean and removal of any sediment in the reservoir.

I have to admit, it is a bit fiddly which is why I don't blame you or anyone not flushing.

4 minutes ago, campbeam said:

As for the coolant flush, I have been considering doing a radiator drain and refill with distilled water a few times as a possible alternative to undoing any coolant drain plugs on the engine block.

I'm going to try and drain the block for best results. This way I don't waste too much distilled water.

I have a small stash of D.W. at the moment, which should be enough to do the job.

I had to re purchase Toyota coolant as the previously purchased bottles have disappeared into the 9th dimension. They are here somewhere but haven't the time to dig for them. 

I also have to re watch a few videos to get my head around the process and plan my attack.
I'll post back for sure.

• Thanks 1