Automatic - celica 2003 model. thoughts

redvvtli

Hi folks,

I currently own a manual corolla sportivo, but really want an automatic. As the Sportivo does not come with an auto box, I am contemplating trading to the most recent gerenartion celica - but an one with an automatic box.

Has anyone had any good/bad experiences with the celica. Is quality up to scratch. Are servicing requirements and costs expensive?

Any feedback on your experience with these cars is greatly appreciated.

Eck

Please bear in mind that the Corolla Sportivo is a bit of a headache and I do not want to repeat that experience.

hey how u doing?

personally i hate autos especially with a small engine. celicas are great and sure they have a few probs here n there but noway as much as corollas which really suprised me.

if u wanna auto car, go with something like a euro or some lux car.

the auto 7th gen celica sux, its extreamly slow, lift takes forever to kick in.

a corolla ascent can beat a celica auto lol.

but thats just my 2 cents

and what do u mean by its abit of a headach what happened?

GO THA AUTO'S!

Not sure about the Celica auto but I own an 06 Auto Corolla and its absolutly awsome.

True its more slower off the mark compared to its manual counterpart but when you put your foot down to overtake she's got heaps of pull.

Is there a reason why your going to Auto's? Traffic?

Actually, the only reason I am going for an auto is that I am tired of the clucth operation of the Sportivo - but I like lift - and I do like the Celica's shape so the logical conclusion was a Celica Auto. The quality issues and niggly problems that I have with the South African Corolla are extreme. The number of point imperfections, issues with rattling, whistling, clutch operation, gear selector rattle, the list goes on and on.....

But I have heard that the Celica's can be expensive in service and insurance costs, so that has always steered me away from them in the past.

But will see.

I actually would prefer driving a manual in traffic than an auto. I hate leaving my foot on the brake, i'd rather put it on neutral or use the gears to slow down. Also hate seeing brake lights pop up everytime wen its not even necessary... lol anyways

Its true the auto celica is way slower than manual... However to answer some of ur questions.

I have a 2005 and i do get afew small rattles here and there. This is mainly from my sunroof so if u go for an sx (no sunroof option) it wouldnt be a problem. No clutch or gear problems.

I cant compare servicing costs to a sportivo, but to give u and idea my 10k and 20k services cost about $200 each. 5k intervals were about $100.

Insurance i believe would be similar to a sportivo, ofcourse would depend on ur driving history though. I dont think insurance is that expensive.. to give u and idea Im 21, insurance full comp under my name, full list of mods to my car... Under $1400 B)

Have a test drive of the celica, see what u think.

If ur really interested and want to learn more... www.newcelica.org <--- its like the bible for a 7th gen celica, if u want to find out anything it'd be in here

Edited by BlkZR

Actually, the only reason I am going for an auto is that I am tired of the clucth operation of the Sportivo - but I like lift - and I do like the Celica's shape so the logical conclusion was a Celica Auto. The quality issues and niggly problems that I have with the South African Corolla are extreme. The number of point imperfections, issues with rattling, whistling, clutch operation, gear selector rattle, the list goes on and on.....

But I have heard that the Celica's can be expensive in service and insurance costs, so that has always steered me away from them in the past.

But will see.

Go drive an auto celica first, you bearly feel lift and it kicks the gear up really quick, the auto tranny is really really flawed :(

Hi folks,

I currently own a manual corolla sportivo, but really want an automatic. As the Sportivo does not come with an auto box, I am contemplating trading to the most recent gerenartion celica - but an one with an automatic box.

Has anyone had any good/bad experiences with the celica. Is quality up to scratch. Are servicing requirements and costs expensive?

Any feedback on your experience with these cars is greatly appreciated.

Eck

Please bear in mind that the Corolla Sportivo is a bit of a headache and I do not want to repeat that experience.

I have driven one, and the interior is a bit small, don't expect to sit anyone at the back, it's a 2+2....and the headroom is pretty low too....it's a sport look car.

I am not sure about the automatic, but if u're sick with the manaul box because of teh clutch, why not get a MRS with the cluthless manual box? that should be fun. :)

if you are female auto is fine ....

If you dont mind changing gears every few secconds in traffic then manual is fine :P :P :P

Auto: Put in D, relax and drive. :D :D :D :D

if you are female auto is fine ....

If you dont mind changing gears every few secconds in traffic then manual is fine :P :P :P

Auto: Put in D, relax and drive. :D :D :D :D

... and go to sleep and swerve off the road ...

Don't get me wrong we have an auto camry and its cool ... but auto "sports" cars .. not in my world .. and its not like its an SMG

to give u and idea Im 21, insurance full comp under my name, full list of mods to my car... Under $1400

what insurance company u with?

im payin 1500 and thats with 65% NCB, under my dads name! i aint listed cause its too expensive!!

Currently I am with AAMI and paid a bit less franction over $1000 for the Corrola Sportivo. I am losing to much on the Corrola, so think I may end up keeping it. But gees, I wish It were a celica.

I'm not sure how the import scene is in Aussie, but both the RunX and the Allex here in NZ are essencially the same(no leather option) as the Sportivo, and come in Auto(flappy paddle as option). If you are after a wagon with the same running gear as them, there is the Fielder.

From memory the imports are faily limited in Aussie, but maybe if you are that keen you could get one.

Prices for the 2001-2003 models seems to be at about the $15999-18999 NZD mark here(Dunedin), but they appear to be about $2k cheaper elsewhere around the country.

btw, my insurance for an 01 RunX ~ $17000 with $250 excess, is $372 a year... 25 years old, 60% NCB.

wot the? i just turned 19 had the celica for a year, insurance 1.5k full comp under my name lol

only reason i bought celica was the insurance was sooo daym cheap, they wanted 5.1k from me for an s15 daym physcos

wot the? i just turned 19 had the celica for a year, insurance 1.5k full comp under my name lol

only reason i bought celica was the insurance was sooo daym cheap, they wanted 5.1k from me for an s15 daym physcos

who u with??