removing sticker and badges??

daREV

Hi Guys,

Well i have just joined up and am looking forward to being a part of this forum. I previously owned an is200 but i guess i will go into that in the new members section.

Anyway just wondering how i can go about taking off the VVTI sticker inside the glass on the back window, tried peeling it off but seems very hard to get off. Also wanting to debadge what and how can i go about getting these off. TA

Grant

Hey Darev,

Welcome to TOCAU.

Im not sure about the vvti sticker on the window, but your best bet for the outer badges is a hair dryer/heat gun, and some fishing line. Heat the thing ever so slightly and then slide the fishy type line under it, clean the remaining crap away with a decent polish.

Hope this helps

JC

I have always used a long stanly knife blade. Pick the corner of the badge off slightly until your fingernail hurts, then gently slide the blade behind the badge and start cutting the sticky stuff.......

Then like JC said, polish away the residue.....

oh geez.. i wouldnt use a knife, if u slip u may end up with a nasty mark- but personal choice i guess

dental floss and if necessary a hair dryer

thats what i used to debadge my rear.. with stickers jst peel away with ur nails and clean and polish after

• 1 month later...

the wife and i kinda went overboard with the debadging... took longer than expected

took bout 2 hours due to the fact its only bout 13degreez outside, started running the fishingline behind the sticker round 9.45pm, then started removing the remaining goo around 10.10pm.. 10.30 my wife joined in...

oh btw we only did the passenger side... gonna do the other side tomorrow coz as i said.. took much longer than expected hahaha

Is that metho I see?

:blink:

dude that takes your clear coat off...take it from me, I know. I was lucky though because it was only my sideskirts that I resorted using metho on because they were an a55 to get off. Then I noticed my cloth was turning red...and I didn't cut myself on anything haha.

Having said that, make sure you give it a good wax afterwards.

Is that metho I see?

dude that takes your clear coat off...take it from me, I know. I was lucky though because it was only my sideskirts that I resorted using metho on because they were an a55 to get off. Then I noticed my cloth was turning red...and I didn't cut myself on anything haha.

na its not metho... its turps.. low odour turpendine.

i havent done the other side yet... going 2 buy goo remover to get it off.

i read in a thread (i thought it was this thread) that turps was safe to dissolve the double sided tape.

they also said goo remover but didnt have time to get 2 wooliez to buy some.

hmm.. since it wasnt this thread i read it in, which one was it????

btw my cloth didnt go red... my hands got heaps dry though :/

this morning i took a good look at it and no sign of clear coat loss or peeling?

i used cut n polish to finish the job.

Edited by JJCRU23R

Is that metho I see?

na its not metho... turps.

i havent done the other side yet... going 2 buy goo remover to get it off.

i read in a thread (i thought it was this thread) that turps was safe to dissolve the double sided tape.

they also said goo remover but didnt have time to get 2 wooliez to buy some.

hmm.. since it wasnt this thread i read it in, which one was it????

btw my cloth didnt go read... my hands got heaps dry though :/

You wouldn't have noticed because you have a silver car. I have a red car, I was taking paint off it and that's why my hands turned red lol.

Turps is actually worse than metholated spirits to my knowledge. My mate is a painter by trade and he dissolves his brushes in turps. Just be careful...I don't wanna see your finish go yucky :(

hehehe yea im well aware of that!

im actually training to become a highschool art teacher so yea... thats kinda why i had turps lying round the house...i know turps is good 2 dissolve oil paint off paintbrushes.. but the brushes are usually still wet when you clean with turps!? think there is a difference between dissolving and thinning.. cos i wouldnt use turps to thin oil paint... dont think it would have any effect if the paint was long dried out like the surface of my car but dont quote me on that... hehehe ugh..

that point did strike me when i read it here on the posts, but since i read that someone else did it to remove the badging i thought it was a safe way to go....

you getting me worried now! bugger!

*running out 2 check my car now*

Well it shouldn't be too bad then if it wasn't used really liberally.

Run your hand over the finish, and if it feels different to the rest of the car the clear coat may have come off a bit. Waxing regularly should protect it though.

Hey, it still looks ok. It's not like you used brake fluid (yes I have seen that done...omg what idiots haha).

Well it shouldn't be too bad then if it wasn't used really liberally.

Run your hand over the finish, and if it feels different to the rest of the car the clear coat may have come off a bit. Waxing regularly should protect it though.

Hey, it still looks ok. It's not like you used brake fluid (yes I have seen that done...omg what idiots haha).

WOAH... break fluid???? hahaha even i know thats a good paint stripper!!! especially if you are trying to strip paint from plastics like bumpers or the spoiler... coz regular paint stripper is designed for metal and will ruin the plastic bumpers etc.. im currently in the process of repainting my spoiler + fabricating fibreglass wingtipz too hehehe..

i was considering the break fluid option but chose the electric sander instead, since i already bought one and hadnt used it yet.

na the paint on my doors is 100% good good!

after feeling it and comparing it to the other side (which i havent touched yet), you cant tell that turps was put onto it. the reflection coming off the paint is pretty much exactly the same on both sides, no dfifference in shine etc.

there are only a few 2-3mm bits of goo from the stickers still remaining on the doors but thats an easy fix. couldnt see them when i was working on it last night but yea.. sunlight made it clear to see the bits i missed, so thatll b fixed tonight.

Edited by JJCRU23R

Hehe that is a sexy finish! lolz i mean sweet :P

May consider strippin mine too lolz but too paranoid on makin it easier to get scratched >_<...

Maybe if i did it in as a group workshop thing...lolz maybe i'd have more confidence lolz :D

THE JOBS FINISHED! *clap*clap*clap*

first i used fishing line just like those other ppl described in the other posts... ( use a good fishingline... something better than 9lb... use something much stronger if you dont want the string to break). otherwise, if the string keeps breaking, pull it in a sawing motion just a bit at a time. dont force it through the gunk.

once the plastic sticker thing came off, my wife worked on one door, i worked on the other.

to remove the gunk we just soaked a clean cloth with low odour turps and used the edge of an old credit card to scrape the gunk off.

you dont need 2 do it in a group! hehehe just get a mate with ya and itll be ok.

May consider strippin mine too lolz but too paranoid on makin it easier to get scratched >_<...

Maybe if i did it in as a group workshop thing...lolz maybe i'd have more confidence lolz :D

they way i looked at it - considering where i normally park my car... the height of the stickers would NOT be the first thing to get bumped into.

actually i do have a few scars on my front passenger door. (all of them not my fault) and it seems the scratches occur most up around the level of the door handle.

of course... can you imagine after all the work we did on the doors, if the doors got scratched????? ***** me off severe...

dont be scared of taking these off... it takes a lot of effort but for bout $3.50 for a bottle of turpentine, fishing line and some rags... you can make your corolla looking different without buying a bodykit :P

btw i havent debadged the CONQUEST or the SECA stickers on the back... im considering removing the 1.8 stickers on the sides.

but yea im pretty happy with the results :P

just ask your wife first b4 you go and do it... hehehhe im just lucky mine wanted 2 join in muahahaha!

they way i looked at it - considering where i normally park my car... the height of the stickers would NOT be the first thing to get bumped into.

actually i do have a few scars on my front passenger door. (all of them not my fault) and it seems the scratches occur most up around the level of the door handle.

of course... can you imagine after all the work we did on the doors, if the doors got scratched????? ***** me off severe...

dont be scared of taking these off... it takes a lot of effort but for bout $3.50 for a bottle of turpentine, fishing line and some rags... you can make your corolla looking different without buying a bodykit :P

btw i havent debadged the CONQUEST or the SECA stickers on the back... im considering removing the 1.8 stickers on the sides.

just ask your wife first b4 you go and do it... hehehhe im just lucky mine wanted 2 join in muahahaha!

Lolz coolz coolz....u've given me confidence!! i shall attempt!! :D B)

Lolz i'm too young to have a woman...lolz n plus i'm not ready yet!! :lol:

Thanks for ur encouragements!! ^_^

N remember to take some nice photos wen its all done....i will too!! ^_^

Lolz coolz coolz....u've given me confidence!! i shall attempt!! :D B)

Lolz i'm too young to have a woman...lolz n plus i'm not ready yet!! :lol:

Thanks for ur encouragements!! ^_^

N remember to take some nice photos wen its all done....i will too!! ^_^

ill take pictures tonight with my digital...

camerafone was handy coz it makes small sized jpgz.. .but yea might give my car a quick wash then take the pics.

EDIT =

done with the quick wash, time for the pics.

Edited by JJCRU23R

Thanks for those photos man!! :o

The car looks soooo SWEET!! B)

I'm gonna do mine the moment the weather in Melb fines up for at least a half a day! :lol: <_<

I'll do mine n then post up my pics....i'll prob debadge everything lolz....then rebadge it all wit TRDs... :lol:

n e one for red sportivo badges?!! :lol:

Thanks for those photos man!! :o

The car looks soooo SWEET!! B)

I'm gonna do mine the moment the weather in Melb fines up for at least a half a day! :lol: <_<

I'll do mine n then post up my pics....i'll prob debadge everything lolz....then rebadge it all wit TRDs... :lol:

n e one for red sportivo badges?!! :lol:

yea good luck on your doorz mate...

i woudlnt consider sportivo badgez unless i had the lift 2 go with it hahaha!

im kinda considering vinyl on the doorz once i got money... but thats a long long way away..

after finishing my spoiler is the wingtipz, lower suspension & shocks, amp & kicker subz, carputer, rimz.....etc

• 2 months later...

fish line and hairdryer is always the way to go, isnt it??

lasttime i tried to remove my badge by the hand......it works, but left a scratch mark... <_<

From experience...i believe that its best to do it when its a sub 20 degree day. The Glue or dubble sided tape comes off so much without the need to clean up the markings.

lolz hard to explain but its like chewing-gum...if u can get all the gum off slowly by peeling it off like a string then its soooooooo much better, den if u try to peel it off on a hot day n the glue stuff just breaks den u have to do some hard nail sractching...>_<

See how u go man. I've done it all to me car...lolz and have yet to post pics...but man...it looks so much the sweeter without the badges and door protrusion strips...

word of note: only use fishing line or ur nails...don't use anything else or things could get ugly. ( used a credit...wellz...not good...lolz)

hehe i havent checked this thread in agez...

heat gun does well.. kinda afraid to heat up the paint too long but it does the trick. best way to describe it is it sorta shrinks the double sided tape under the badge? not sure what exactly is going on but it helped take it off.

used it to debadge the COROLLA badge on the as$end of my car. now it bares the RUNX sticker :)

the edge of an old RSL or credit card didnt cause me any problems?? used it to remove only like 1mm at a time... and held it at a low angle so it sorta slides along the door panel, not at a 90 degree angle as if your cutting with fruit with a knife or something. didnt get rough with it or anything was just heaps careful with it.

• 2 months later...