Eyelid Installation

selyaT

Sup homies.

Those of you who have eyelids: how have you attached them?

Those who do not have eyelids but have suggestions: share!

I understand most people use double sided mounting tape. MB487 told me he taped his first set on and some W@NG stole them! So he used Araldite for his second set... this seems a bit extreme to me... needless to say, they were never stolen ;)

So list your adhesive opinions guys :) Cheers

Double sided tape. It's better to get stolen than someone try to pull it off and break the headlight lense because it's glued to it.

Carlo's installation tip (Thanks to kcorro)...

-Before you stick them on, do a trial install with masking tap.

-Line them up with your bonnet lines exactly where you want it.

-Then when it's positioned where you want it, make an outline of the eyelid on the light with some masking tape.

-Then remove the eyelids and you have an exact outline of where they should go.

-Prepare the double sided tape and drop the eyelids into place within the outlines you created earlier.

-Remove the tape and you have perfectly lined up eyelids.

-Finally as an extra touch, place some matching coloured electrical tape on the top edge of the headlight to conceal the clear plastic of the headlight in the shut line/gap between the eyelid and bonnet.

Edited by IZZ-FE

Most of the guys use double sided tape - the 3M stuff is pretty strong

<_< that sucks taht some dude taxed ur mate's eyelids - totally wrong man.

U can always contact bond ur eyelids if you super secure? - but then it would wreck ur headlight assemble when u want to take them off? ?

:rolleyes: buy head lighta covers and paint eyelids on - SB did it :lol:

The 3M Exterior Mounting Tape is the best.

Its the same stuff they use for the weather shields and skirt seals. This stuff holds on super strong and its resistant to the weather.

HAHAHA cheers fellas... kcorros guide is good, thanks 1ZZ :)

Yeah I considered Silva's headlight protector idea, also considered making several custom designs out of colour-coded industrial contact... like an eyelid sticker... any shape/colour you want...

But I've got proper eyelids painted and ready to go :)

If someone wants your eyelids then they'll get em no matter what. If they want mine then its 4 screws and their gone.

I went the painting the eyelids on headlight protectors cause my car was only 3 weeks old and I picked up a rock that absolutely shattered the headlight protector(this was in the middle of surburbia :blink: ). It was then that i wanted eyelids but wanted headlight protectors. So the idea was born and thats why mine look like different to all others. Custom all the way baby!! :P

Off topic but, i have mine coming in postage but on my gti i got defect for having eye lids cause they said it obstructed the head lights and that was a safety issue. Have any of you guys had an issue with cops and eyelids in the sportivos/corollas...

<_< Hmm no police officer here to verify this but I guess that as long as your eyelids don't actually get in the pathway of the light beam (ie blocking the concave around the bulb itself) you can argue that there is no obstruction. But if it does actually block part of the circular concave thingy where the bulb is (like many eyelids do) they probably can and will defect you (soz I hope that made sense I tried my best to explain it).

But geez I wish the coppas would stop picking on the little fish like us n use there time more wisely like dealing with REAL criminals... lol :lol:

ive used double sided tape.

the 3M stuff, the stuff just sticks, doesnt come off thru normal day to day use.

However if someone did try to pry it open they would be able to do so (hey if someone wants to steal something there aint no way to stop em).

To me araldite seems a bit extreme, i mean if someone does try and you've glued the damn thing on, chances are they will either damage your headlight or damage the eyelid.

If they damage the eyelid trying to get it off, chances you wont have much success in getting it off either, hence you're stuck with a damaged eyelids glued on.

Now if they damage your headlights, then thats gonna cost you more than getting new eyelids and repainting them.

Edited by neK

Thanks everyone for your responses and opinions :)

Micky and I went to Bunnings this arvo and got some 3M exterior mounting tape, then used kcorro's idea with the masking tape as a template (Thanks 1ZZ-FE).

I don't need to go anywhere tomorrow until later in the day (Holidays, woo!) so it will be sitting in the sun for a while as Azza suggested (I think) before I drive it.

I guess we'll judge how effective the job is by whether or not I have a winking 'Rolla when I pull up after going for a spin! :P

But hey, I'm an economics student, not engineering! :lol: