unichip

I hate to be a prude and a stick in the mud but shouldnt we be placing these kinds of posts in the buy/sell section of the forums .....if at all???

I know people tend to head straight to the corolla section and tend not to look in other areas.

yesterday i met a friend of a friend who does unichip and hid kits.

for unichip he said he can do $950 fitted and tuned but must be a group buy. $650 delivered australia wide with no tune. cars must have at least 10,000 km.

he invites us to visit him at his dyno in melbourne. he told me he had a customer in a stock sportivo and they tuned it to 138 kw. it started pinging so they dropped it to 135 kw.

hid kits $700-$800 and these use hella from usa.

if members are interested lets go to the dyno to see the graphs.

135kw at wheel or flywheel? Also what power was it pre-chip?

I am not really after a huge kw boost with the Unichip, rather craving more torque between 4-6000rpm but would still like the peak power at 7600-7800rpm, no lower. Plus close to standard or better fuel economy and obviously reliability is paramount. $650 is a great price delivered to my home but will have to find a tuner in Sydney.

However E-gene is right though, i think we should wait for the recall before any further mods.

Zee

danthuyer i see your point but this is not a firm sale and i was looking for some discussion.

zeerolla he did not say where the power was but 135 kw i would say at the wheels and this was on a stock sportivo.

I hate to be a prude and a stick in the mud but shouldnt we be placing these kinds of posts in the buy/sell section of the forums .....if at all???

I know people tend to head straight to the corolla section and tend not to look in other areas.

That's true Danthuyer, but I do realise that people tend to look only in the Corolla section so I felt that it is ok to post it here and we'll move it to the buy/sell section when it gone back a few pages.

That way, the section is still kept clean whilst everyone still had a good read of the post.

Any objections? :D

Hi Guys,

I would HIGHLY recommend you all wait till this power issue is sorted with toyota before you go chipping the car as its gonna cost you to pull the chip off get the mod done then get it re-tuned.

Cheers

Bill

can i ask a newbie question about the need for a tune? If this chip is to be added to a stock example of of a partciular car, lets say a corolla then if a chip with programing had already been developed, wouldnt this chip work the same way for ALL other corolla's? I mean cars of the same model and make arent so different as to require a dyno tune individually are they? Or am i missing something big here...?

Hi Calvin,

No drama's mate we will more than b happy to answer a newbie question as we were all their once.

Every engine requires optimum ignition timing and air fuel ratio at all RPM and load conditions. UniChip provides access and ability to adjust and optimize both the ignition and fuel system. UniChip has seventeen RPM sites between 500 RPM and 8000 RPM and twelve load sites between zero throttle position and wide-open throttle position. This equates to 204 possible adjustments for fuel and a further 204 adjustments for ignition timing

I pulled this off a site explaining how the unichip works. Now the way i see it. If you have dyno'ed your car or have seen a dyno sheet you will notice something which applies to all cars even ones of the same make, model & year. Each dyno sheet is different.

They will all probably show different fuel 2 air ratio's, petrol consumption, power, torque etc etc.

When i got my car chipped it was surprising running very rich i.e using way more petrol than what it needs to. This was causing for my engine to have more petrol than it needed which in turn was slightly flooding it and was hindering performance. Now each and every car has different needs i.e. a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder or a trubo'ed 1 or a 6 or 8 if its supercharged etc etc etc basically for all mods available under the sun. e.g a turbo needs to be running richer than a NA car.

By modifying the igintion timing and air fuel 2 air ratio at such small intervals 500rpm's that the unichip does it enable you to know that you are getting maximum performance from the car the whole way along the rev range rather than a generic mapping which the manufactorers gives the car when its being mass produced.

Now you asked if its on 1 corolla why cant it be the same on all corolla's. The answer to that is simple. The mappings given out of the factory are band mappings. i.e. as long as the mapping falls between a max and a minimum value then it is acceptable. So this is your first variation. Secondly a unichip should pretty much be your last mod as adding all the other mods can cause for you to alter your fuel 2 air ratio, petrol consumption etc so if u tune it 1st then do these other mods well ur gona have 2 probably tune it again as u've just changed the conditions the chip thought it was working under.

I hope this answers your question dude. If not you can always google it ;) ;)

Cheers

Bill

Hey thanks for the very informative answer xoom!!

You have cleared up my questions and i now understand the purpose of the whole procedure. 

sounds like a doctor telling a patient the details of an operation :P hehe

Hey thanks for the very informative answer xoom!!

You have cleared up my questions and i now understand the purpose of the whole procedure. 

sounds like a doctor telling a patient the details of an operation :P hehe

Next patient please :P :P :P :P :P

Cheers

DR XOOM

Ffdrdoom.jpg

Xoom is Dr. Doom?

Abilities: Although Doom has some native sorcerous ability, his real power lies in his genius level I.Q. and his brilliant mechanical designs.

*chuckles* couldnt help myself, does anyone see any similiarities? :P

Regarding the HID (High Intensidy Discharge) issue. As an engineer involved in the automotive lighting area I thought I should let you guys (and girls B) ) know that the HID kits being discussed in this topic are not ADR (Australian Design Rule) approved, as a result it is most likely that by fitting such a kit to your car you would make the vehicle un-roadworthy. This may or may not be a concern to you but it's always best to be fully informed.

ok lets make a list and a serious one.. Everyone for a unichip.. who really wants it and can afford it for $950 and plus u have to check insurance, fitted and tuned by marcus friend or somewhere else, if we can get it cheaper.. say 'Yes please' and will should set a date like nov or ealry dec so everyone can get there money all together.

NOTE that I am UNICHIP BIAS

powerchip = $2200 fitted an tuned (around 7kW gains@ flywheel)

Unichip = $1200 fitted and tuned (can be as much at 18kW gains @ flywheel)

Well u prob seen it trd, and we have to go on that.. which is there r power gains... and only $950 is alot cheaper... and maybe we can get it even more cheaper :rolleyes:

Xoom , Peekay34 (edit for PAULS benefit) both have unichips installed with great results.

From memory the unichip has 200+ tununing points for ignition timing and fuel. The powerchip doesnt have close to this.

There are a few places in brissy that do the unichip (look at my sticky note at top of corolla and go to CNJ motorsport)

UniChip dealers AUS wide

Also Apex Motor Sport down the gold coast offers the Powerchip but they are reluctant to bring the down price. (although they are working on a new chip for our car)

peekay results of install for Unichip

This post has been edited by Danthuyer on Jun 22 2004, 12:23 AM