4AGE 20v

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're very rare in Aus atm, as they've just been made available to the public not long ago. Problem is, for almost the same price, everyone buys skylines etc instead. If you're after one, best bet probably would be to import one over. Expect to pay at least $15k imho for a decent ae101.

They're very rare in Aus atm, as they've just been made available to the public not long ago. Problem is, for almost the same price, everyone buys skylines etc instead. If you're after one, best bet probably would be to import one over. Expect to pay at least $15k imho for a decent ae101.

Not cheap and I was lookin at AE111 (after I've worked a couple of yrs n saved up)

Man I'm lovin these Trueno's/Levin's (especially the ones with black headlights and tail lights), are they extremely hard to find in Aus. (it would probably be easier impoirting one from Japan hey)?

In Brisbane AE101 20V levin's go for between $7-9K and GZE's about 10-14K. They only cost around the $500-1K mark in Japan.

My first car choice was actually an ae111 as well lol. In the end i decided against it as body parts would be harder to come by (which is stupid because i still ended up buying an import lol), but also because of the engine. Sure the blacktop 4age makes me feel warm and fuzzy but if i get bored with it later on and want to extract more power...it'd be pretty hard to do as they are pretty well tuned out of the factory. I think they do 0-100 in around 8s as well, which was a bit slow to my liking.

Pros would be that the car would probably work till it literally fell apart :P , fuel economy, uniqueness/styling and a fun engine though! I'm guessing they handle well too, judging by the stance of them in photos etc and suspension setup. Interior looks pretty snazzy too!

My first car choice was actually an ae111 as well lol. In the end i decided against it as body parts would be harder to come by (which is stupid because i still ended up buying an import lol), but also because of the engine. Sure the blacktop 4age makes me feel warm and fuzzy but if i get bored with it later on and want to extract more power...it'd be pretty hard to do as they are pretty well tuned out of the factory. I think they do 0-100 in around 8s as well, which was a bit slow to my liking.

Pros would be that the car would probably work till it literally fell apart :P , fuel economy, uniqueness/styling and a fun engine though! I'm guessing they handle well too, judging by the stance of them in photos etc and suspension setup. Interior looks pretty snazzy too!

Yea I liked the Black-top as I wouldn't want to modify it (only intake and exhaust stuff e.g. CAI, headers, high flow cat, 2.25 exhaust etc.). Whereas the Silver-top has a lil less power out of the factory but lots more modification potential (not really for me)

Found this awesome website where u can compare all the models of Sprinter Trueno's AE91-AE111:

http://english.auto.vl.ru/catalog/toyota/sprinter_trueno/

Apparently there are several more versions of the AE111 than we thought (these are in order from bottom of the line to top):

*FZ (Manual + 4-speed Auto)

*XZ (Manual + ECT-S)

*BZ-G (Manual + ECT-S)

*BZ-V (ECT-S only)

*BZ-R (Manual only)

Note 1:

ECT-S = Electronic control type 4 speed automatic (sport)

Note 2:

Some of the Manual's are 5-speed and some are 6-speed

Note 3:

There are three engine's used: 5A-FE (1.5L), 4A-FE (1.6L) and 4A-GE (1.6L)

Note 4:

If you want a detailed comparison use the website I have provided (as there is a compare function)

Edited by grima88

AE111 can run 0-100km/hr at low 7s and 0-400m at low 15s and round wakefield at 1:18.06 (stock)

as for mod for the blacktop. a tom's ECU will let it rev up to 11000rpm safe. you don't need CAI but individual throttles. full exhaust is always nice

wow... another "change the ECU and it will rev to 11,000rpm" person.

You might get somewhere near those rpm's before the oilpump flies apart or the rod leaves the block. In reality you REALLY dont want to go past 8500-9000rpm regularly without some very serious engine modifications.

You loose all your midrange torque with open throttles and there's not enough room to the firewall to fit tuned length trumpets.

http://www.rollamods.com/videos/civic_levin.avi

Edited by rollamods

the levin and trueno are exactly the same apart from taillights and front lights.

in japan ae86 2door coupes are mostly truenos but there are levin coupes, just not as many.

the 3door hatches (such as mine) are more commonly levins but it is not a large % difference with the hatches. in my oppinon levin hatches look the coolest.

as for the 20v 4age. very sexy intake sounds. buy a silvertop if your going to modify the engine. i think black tops have a lighter flywheel and some better/lighter internals also. 16v 4age is the most supported for sure. and yes 16v engines can be just as power productive.

Formula Atlantic race engines are based on a 16 valve head 4age and despite the rumors they DO rev up to 11,000rpm like on initial d. and they DO produce 240ps. oviously a formula atlantic engine is not good for daily driving and also need constant rebuilds too lol. i reccomend a 20v silvertop if you are using it in a FF car. if you are using the engine in a FR then i suggest a 16valve with twin 40daiameter carbies or quad throttles.

We(as in my racing team) are currently finishing a fully worked 20vBlacktop with quad throttle bodies,weve estimated its making 196ps,its equiped with miata forged flat top pistons & ARP reinforced internals,custom made headers (made by me :yahoo: ) ,This thing sings everything from amazing grace to enter the sandman,agreeing with JDM yo it sounds very sexy,I agree the silver is great but no way close to the modifying potential of the black,BUT thats just my opinion

Its due for a shakedown on Jan,before the next racing season ,I hope to have pics & data to prove my theory,its in a Kit car so i hope it flys

Kecho,

Very amazed by the performance figures you stated for the bz-r. The blacktop gives 165 horses or so and weighs almost 1100kgs. Those figures generally don't equate to a car doing 0-100 in low 7's (unless it has a really short geared box...but having the 6 speed box...you'll probably have to shift twice before hitting 100 clicks). Are those times you stated obtained by being realllyy nasty to the car (flat shifts etc) ? I have several articles on the bz-r and the fastest time i see in them is 8.04s 0-100.

Revving to 11,000rpm in the blacktop stock ? Assuming it can, wouldn't there be almost no power then anyways ? The torque curve would've dropped off years ago and even the power band would've dropped off. I really doubt the factory cam profile allows power to be made around 11,000rpm...that would just totally rob the car of any low end performance and make it useless on the street ?

Don't need cai but individual throttles ? The silver and blacktop already comes with quad throttle bodies i thought ? Do you mean tuned length individual throttles with foam filter at the end of it ?

If someone's really serious about tuning a Toyota 1600 engine and keeping it na...i would head straight for the 100kw 4a-ge...done properly, they can give over 200hp easily but it will cost =/

this sounds really offensive

please read my previous post. i said i would rather go for handling mods over engine mods. i suggested tom's ECU and the rev to 11000rpm thingy because grima88 mainly concerned about power at the moment. i know it sounds very extreme but isn't that you guys after?

not sure if you guys like this one

das.jpg

this is even better than normal CAI

i'm just suggesting possibilities. are we not discussing about potential and stuffs?

now grima88, i would really suggest an AE111 firstly because i'm biased. and secondly they look heaps better :)

Look heaps better as long as it's the facelifted 111...the old 111's rear is ugly imho <_<

I guess the photo you posted answers my question on throttle bodies. Nice setup, wouldn't go nice on the street though (drivability wise).

T145 is an AE111

drag_result.jpg

let's say it hits 100km/hr in 8s from standing still. but it did a remarkable 0-400m time IMHO. note that the left most T72 result belong to a stivo owner on this site

by the way, who has really driven an AE111 here??

Great 1/4 mile time. 8's 0-100 but a lowish quarter mile time makes sense considering the engine's power/torque curve. May i ask if your bz-r had any mods when you did that 15.4 run ?

Nope havn't driven, i did really want to buy one though...caused me to start saving up for a car actually :)

please read my previous post. i said i would rather go for handling mods over engine mods. i suggested tom's ECU and the rev to 11000rpm thingy because grima88 mainly concerned about power at the moment. i know it sounds very extreme but isn't that you guys after?

I think the point is, Changing to the TOM's ECU wont allow the engine to rev (Maybe once before it goes bang) to 11,000rpm.

The Atlantic engines do, not only do they no longer resemble what came from the factory, they have to be stripped down frequently.

i was the T72 driver... :(

on the same night i can only manage 15.359, i may be a ***** driver but this is the best time a stock stivo can do on TOC <_<

dont under-estimate the potential of the blacktop, i have driven kecho's car, i can feel that the engine still willing to rev at 8200rpm, only the rev-limiter stopping it to do so

stock as rock when i did the 1/4mile time and i ran RON98 instead of RON100 recommended in the owners manual

Delvance... you will love AE111... trust me :P

Very nice time! 15.4 in a 1600 na car without recommended fuel is quite an achievement (stock too :blink: ).

I'm sure i'd love one if i had one hehe, but alas i'm broke now (when i said i started saving for the 111, that was 3 years ago...finally bought a car lol).

das.jpg

this is even better than normal CAI

i'm just suggesting possibilities. are we not discussing about potential and stuffs?

now grima88, i would really suggest an AE111 firstly because i'm biased. and secondly they look heaps better :)

I'm not buying one anytime soon its more of a longer trm aim to get one n do it up :) :D (finding one in Australia or to import will be the hardest part :lol: )

O btw there are no filters on that setup with the intake is there (great for the track but highly illegal on the street)

Thanks guys for all ur discussion I'm actually learning a fair bit about this car from u guys.

Edited by grima88