Sportivo handling gremlins

If Xoom is right, then the natural solution is to learn from your mistakes and tailor your driving style to your car. Learn it's handling tendancies and make a mental note that you're better off keeping the boot in rather than brushing the brakes when you're half way through a corner (this applies to any car though right?). If that thought scares you then don't enter the corner so hot in the first place I guess.

Good topic though, apart from the unpleasantness before

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Xoom is right, then the natural solution is to learn from your mistakes and tailor your driving style to your car. Learn it's handling tendancies and make a mental note that you're better off keeping the boot in rather than brushing the brakes when you're half way through a corner (this applies to any car though right?). If that thought scares you then don't enter the corner so hot in the first place I guess.

Good topic though, apart from the unpleasantness before

Totally agree!

i cant say that i have really had any issues with my rolla pitching through corners in regard to weight transfer.. mabey you need to look into some harder springs to better cope with your adventures behind the wheel :P

The Corolla due to its rear suspension design has the tendancy to pitch the rear out when cornering hard and hitting a bump/dip in the road mid corner. I have improved my car out of sight by doing the following simple mods.

Front strut brace,rear sway bar,koni's and king springs. If you want to induce some very ordinary understeer then put on a heavier front sway. the thing with a front wheel drive car is to keep the front wheels on the ground at all times by really tieing the rear down somewhat and not making the front too stiff. I run my rear koni's on about 3/4 maximum stiffness and combined with rear sway to try and keep the rear tight but also set the front koni's to about 2/3 max stiffness to keep the front of the car from getting a little floaty on uneven surfaces. This set up enables me to corner hard enough to get it to hang the tail if I push it hard enough without the front breaking into masses of understeer. If I do happen to lift off mid corner through brain fade(we all do it at some time LOL) the rear will behave as Chris has mentioned but mine is very easily controlled with applying a certain amount of throttle and steering lock and letting the front pull out of the corner and pulling the rear around straight. This can be done without the aid of a LSD!(for those of you who have one..... you suck LOL!!!!)

Guys running coilovers will notice that by adjusting the dampener settings to allow a firm not teeth shattering ride will absorb bumps in the road/track surface that the car will handle better as it keeps the wheels in contact with the road. I noticed this with Northy's car when he first put the coilovers in. they were set real hard and on a smooth surface it handled like a go kart but through a few bump's/dips in corners and on exits and it would just start to run wider and wider pushing understeer and the back was simply bouncing around behind the front.

We adjusted the dampeners down a bit in the rear and then went for a run and it improved it a lot but the front still needed a bit less. After adjusting the front down more the car now handles really well with a stock rear sway and front strut brace. It absorbs bumps in the road/track surface beautifully without upsetting the balance of the car and is also requires a lot less effort to drive fast as it just feels more stable. Also things like how your alignment is set up and camber on the front will also play a crucial part in how your car handles at speed too.

Cheers SB :D

hey man i saw the video, i was driving today and the same thing happened to me i was going around the corner in lift but it turn as much as yours.. very scary only the try+rim was gone

Edited by Rolla_Boy