OMG... Can the rolla be made RWD?!?!

Third post... And I've got theories already :D

I was thinking... The WRC Rolla is 4WD right??? I reckon... That they use the same chassy as the normal road-going rolla, and just change the drivetrain... I had a look... And there is PLENTY of space at the firewall for a RWD gearbox to get into... As the exhaust (on the stivo anyways...) goes straight down what appears to be a transmission tunnel under the car... Only thing that gets in the way is the fueltank at the rear of the car...

Obviously in the WRC car, the tank would be different and probably in a different position... So, if you could move the tank, and get the drivetrain off a RWD toyota or something... Would it be possible to get it going... OBVIOUSLY it would involve a LOT of custom work and would need an engineer to be there basically 24-7 whilst the work is being done... And it probably wouldn't be road legal once it's done... But it'd be awesome :D

Got pics...

Strange looking 'exhaust mounts':

dsc02814uc9.jpg

Massive gap here just for the exhaust???

dsc02815gt5.jpg

dsc02817ym2.jpg

Strange 'unused' mount inline with where a rear axel WOULD be:

dsc02818ia3.jpg

In this pic, you can see the exhaust follows the exact path a tailshaft would until it gets to the fueltank where it changes direction:

dsc02819gc5.jpg

Ok then... Please tell me your thoughts... I reckon... I'm just crazy ;)

Cheers :D

for starters... no

2ndly... no

3rdly... no

ok seriously... forget the dreams you are having, the Rally corolla that Neil Bates drives (no corollas in the WRC) runs on a Celica ST205 chassis (that last celica GT4), not a corolla one, it just happens that the dimensions are similar enough that is works.

as for the pics I'll run through them in order...

#1 what's so strange about the exhaust mounts?

#2 & 3 exhausts get hot, hence the gap, or else it would be your ***** in the seat getting hot and a possible fire hazzard

#4 that the rearward jack point - read your manual ;)

#5 yes, funny had the engineers designed it so well in order for you to have a huge amount on leg room in the rear isn't it ;)

Please go back to reading Hot 4s or Autosalon Magazine and stop dreaming...

for starters... no

2ndly... no

3rdly... no

ok seriously... forget the dreams you are having, the Rally corolla that Neil Bates drives (no corollas in the WRC) runs on a Celica ST205 chassis (that last celica GT4), not a corolla one, it just happens that the dimensions are similar enough that is works.

as for the pics I'll run through them in order...

#1 what's so strange about the exhaust mounts?

#2 & 3 exhausts get hot, hence the gap, or else it would be your ***** in the seat getting hot and a possible fire hazzard

#4 that the rearward jack point - read your manual ;)

#5 yes, funny had the engineers designed it so well in order for you to have a huge amount on leg room in the rear isn't it ;)

Please go back to reading Hot 4s or Autosalon Magazine and stop dreaming...

Rofl... Ouch... Sorry if I annoyed you... Just a (obviously sh!t) theory... It's too late for me to be thinking straight :P

Oh well... I'll stick to knowing stuff about Subarus and just driving the Stivo... Haha :D

Don't be so quick to dismiss the poor guy ;)

It can be done, only you're gonna need a 4WD Corolla chassis and a spare 30,000 pounds (which works out to around $75,000AUD) or probably more if you can't do the work yourself.

IMO it's probably easier to save up for a better car :lol:

http://www.fensport.co.uk/fensportcarsfile...tCorolla4wd.htm

Edited by Conquest

In the Corolla AWD the engine is mounted "east to west" not "north to south" like what RWD cars (and other AWD systems such as Subaru's AWD cars) have so unless u have A SH!T-LOAD of money to replace the chasis n do some mods to the firewall and play around with everything like that you can't really make a RWD out of the rolla (but nothing is impossible). O btw that corolla with the 3S-GTE still has an "east to west" engine mount. This may sound very confusing but with AWD's that have a "east west" engine mounting the front diff separates the drive between the front n rear wheels due to the lack of a centre diff so it is still pretty much a front wheel controlled car albiet with limited drive to the rear wheels. Whereas AWD's with a "north south" engine mounting have a centre diff which can accordingly split drive between the front n rear diff accordingly and are more of a true AWD (or 4WD). Sorry if this is not all 100% correct as I am no expert (so correct me if any part of this was wrong). And sorry if I have confused ppl im not the best at explaining this.

east west engined AWD's like the GT4 celica, AE95 corolla's and the AWD ZZE corolla's in japan have a transfer case on the gearbox which transfers drive to the rear wheels.

If you've got the money, import an AWD ZZE rolla from japan, and perform the necessary cutting and shutting to get the correct floorpan with the rear suspension pickup points, AWD fuel tank, etc etc.

I don't think the Neil Bates Corolla Rally car runs on ST205 Celica GT-4 chassis. Its Corolla chassis fabricated to fit the ST205 drivetrain, suspension and engine. On one of the Speed magazine issues, they have pictures of how about they do the conversion. It even said that Neil Bate bought the Corolla from one of the Canberra dealership.

I remember what he said - anyone with fabrication skills can do it. Waw, thats encouraging.

Now, that issue is long time ago, so if they are using ST205 chassis for its current form, then I guess turning the Corolla to RWD is still possible since Neil Bates did convert std corolla to run all-paw.

If you've got the money, import an AWD ZZE rolla from japan, and perform the necessary cutting and shutting to get the correct floorpan with the rear suspension pickup points, AWD fuel tank, etc etc.

that's what Fensport did for their 3SGTE corolla.

I never said it couldn't be done, but the price wouldn't justify the result when there are perfectly reasonable STis and Evos out there.

Yeah... It would be an awesome project for someone with the time, money and/or DIY skills... Welding, bending etc...

I know it would be easier to just buy an STi or EVO... But there are heaps of them on the roads... Not too many 4WD/RWD late model Rollas...

If you want RWD performance go buy an XR6 Turbo. People are getting around 500rwkw out of these cars now.

You can get secondhand XR6 Turbos in the low 20's now factor in about $15k for mods, for this money you have a 400-500kw rice burner killer.

If you want a RWD corolla then spend the money on an AE86 project.

why? when there are perfectly good and REASONABLY PRICED ke series rollas kicking around ;)

I want the oversteer Dyl lol

Pfft, you can get oversteer easy in a KE......it just usually means getting rid of the K-series. Leaf springs at the rear mean sideways action is always looming on the horizon (hit a pothole going around a corner and the whole rear end will skip sidways, thats stock as well)

why? when there are perfectly good and REASONABLY PRICED ke series rollas kicking around ;)

Pfft, you can get oversteer easy in a KE......it just usually means getting rid of the K-series. Leaf springs at the rear mean sideways action is always looming on the horizon (hit a pothole going around a corner and the whole rear end will skip sidways, thats stock as well)

Having owned a KE I agree.

Looking at what I would do to an AE86 in terms of chassic strengthening etc I would disagree and say that the AE would be vastly superior to what you could ever get out of a KE. Probably the reason they professionally race AE's as opposed to KE's? Oversteer is one thing. Having 'controllable' oversteer is another.

Yes we know that the XR6 is probably the better RWD to go for, but we were talking about Corolla's though. Otherwise I would have said 'F6' immediately lol

If you want a quick 4WD hatch look into the Mazda 323 Familias... They are of about 1992 vintage, 1.8T, 4WD and respond really well to milk upgrades, eg. exhaust, intercooler. If you can get a proper Familia GT-R you will be absolutely laughing (they didn't make many), but the gearboxes are pretty p!ss-weak.

But if you want a fresh car with leather, climate control and safety features, with a little bit of fun at the front wheels, just keep your S'tivo, add coilovers and a CAI, and giggitty giggitty.

Looking at what I would do to an AE86 in terms of chassic strengthening etc I would disagree and say that the AE would be vastly superior to what you could ever get out of a KE. Probably the reason they professionally race AE's as opposed to KE's? Oversteer is one thing. Having 'controllable' oversteer is another.

Yes we know that the XR6 is probably the better RWD to go for, but we were talking about Corolla's though. Otherwise I would have said 'F6' immediately lol

I would disagree here... when was the last time you went out to a state level improved production race? count the # of KEs out there vs AE86s ;)

I'd personally get a KE70 or an AE71 anyway... it's virtually the same thing as an AE86 anyway :P

I would disagree here... when was the last time you went out to a state level improved production race? count the # of KEs out there vs AE86s ;)

I'd personally get a KE70 or an AE71 anyway... it's virtually the same thing as an AE86 anyway :P

Oh I was thinking internationally.

I actually just want an AE86 so I can paint it black and white, deliver tofu, date a chick who drives a blue Sileighty* and drift everywhere Dylan. There I said it.

Note* obviously a joke as I'm practically married now lol.