Carbon engine cover

i have found a place that can turn my engine cover into a type of carbon pattern on top for $130. this is not real carbon but the process is wrapping the original abs plastic with carbon pattern film. anything can be wrapped and made to look like carbon from b-pillars to center console. would you get your engine cover done for $130? i am thinking it is a bit much for something that is not seen and has no function. but then every modification is fun to do. is $130 too much?

Edited by kcorro

how does carbon fibre go with heat?

Ferraris have carbon fibre brake rotors so there's no issue with heat...

But in this case with it being carbon fibre coating I guess it's a valid question, depending on whether or not it's a film or real carbon fibre

I have got a price from a company here in Brisbane called Modicoat. They do all the dash dress up kits with the woodgrain and carbon fibre look inserts etc etc. This stuff looks the real deal and will handle the heat without an issue. Only problem is the price. Engine cover costs about $440 and I got prices on various other bits and pieces but it all ended up being over $1000 so I gave it a miss.

But $130 sounds cheap as but the quality would be my concern. :D

Anyone who may be interested in Modicaot PM me and I will give you all the relevant details. :D

Can someone tell me how to remove the 1zz engine cover without breaking the two plastic clips at the back (There's the two nuts at the front and two push-in plastic clips at the back).

They only cost like $1.50 but all the same would be nice not to have to buy new ones every time I take the cover off.

Can someone tell me how to remove the 1zz engine cover without breaking the two plastic clips at the back (There's the two nuts at the front and two push-in plastic clips at the back).

They only cost like $1.50 but all the same would be nice not to have to buy new ones every time I take the cover off.

They should be able to be levered UP (from memory )

yes they break not sure why but everytime the head of the clip breaks off. i do not think you really need them anyway since the 2 bolts at the front secure the engine cover.

just paint the cam cover, then run no engine cover...

As a bonus your coilpacks will run cooler and last longer.

i am running no engine cover and like it. i would keep no engine cover but i have already sent my engine cover away and it would seem a waste to get it back with nothing done to it.

is there one for the 1zz motor?

made by c-one only 2zz 1800cc and 1zz 1500cc

why not just get the c-one one

it looks way hotter.

at $300+ i think is a lot of money to dress up the engine. i can imagine most of the people here would save that for an intake system. i already got a few c-one parts in the engine bay so i did think about the c-one engine cover but it is only for 1500cc.

yes they break not sure why but everytime the head of the clip breaks off. i do not think you really need them anyway since the 2 bolts at the front secure the engine cover.

It's secure but tends to Vibrate Audibly without them.

I would paint it rather than get the Faux Carbon Finish on it.

real carbon is fine but over the weekend someone said to me that the carbon printing process is fine for interior but for exterior after a year or so it may change.

i have now found another process and will go with it since it will not change over time. they call it spraying sand and the engine cover will come back with a texture like medium grit sand paper.

the spraying sand is cheaper than $130 which is good afterall it is just an engine cover. it turns out though other places i checked on the weekend wanted $200 to carbon print the engine cover.

real carbon is fine but over the weekend someone said to me that the carbon printing process is fine for interior but for exterior after a year or so it may change.

i have now found another process and will go with it since it will not change over time. they call it spraying sand and the engine cover will come back with a texture like medium grit sand paper.

the spraying sand is cheaper than $130 which is good afterall it is just an engine cover. it turns out though other places i checked on the weekend wanted $200 to carbon print the engine cover.

Ive seen that spraying sand effect before on a holden it looks pretty good. and if its cheaper tan $130

w :D hy not, keep those mods coming

You might find the glue that they use to bond the stuff bubbles in the heat.

or worst, the "CF" layer curls in the heat and your engine bay looks like a cheap autobarn special...

don't forget the oil/grease that accumalates on certain spots of the panels which will contribute to extra heat retention