F6 Tornado Ute Test Drive

My dads mate (Blair) just bought one of these. After crapping my pants going from 0 - 120 in a matter of mere seconds in the passenger seat he stops and says, 'your turn'.

I get in, the steering wheels is friggin perfect, moulded etc. Seating is perfect for me, the auto box is awesome.

We reach the monaro highway, a long expansive piece of road that heads south towards Tuggeranong here in Canberra. I go through the circle. Blair shifts it over into sports gearing, 'Tromp it...' he says. I hesitate, yet at 3,500rpm in 1st gear I abide. My head immediatley sinks steadily into the back of the seat, time speeds up in front of me...all is quiet inside. I hear the steady rustling of wind as time continually speeds up to the point that I back off...at 160km/h (be careful in these things lol). All this happened in a matter of seconds...mere seconds.

I have never, ever been in a street legal road car as fast as this. The car is stock except for bilstein shocks. 270kw w. 550nm of torque straight out of the box, with 310kw, 600nm of torque about to come with a chip upgrade. New standards are being set. The F6 is definently the unsung hero. Street talk is quiet yet the car is still deadly.

Mark Winterbottom I believe drives an enhanced version of the F6 Typhoon (the sedan version) in the drift competition. 460kw w. 800nm of torque.

An interesting thing to observe is that the s/c sportivo in the thread (as show by brandon and johnny) is still not as quick as the F6...but it gets very close. Very. Food for thought perhaps.

Lucky bugger :clap: so how much is it for one of these to chundie your undies :blink:

Worth the $s you think? wouldnt the sedan be even faster due to less weight?

the tornado only comes in a ute ..... however i do think ute's are usually lighter than sedans arent they ?

the utes also have a 180km/h speed limiter as far as i know due to lack of weight in the rear.

the sedan equivilant in the F6 Typhoon with same power/torque. i'd say the sedan would be faster cos of the strength of the chassis but the ute would def be more fun... very nice work rob

The bilsteins seemed to help the grip situation. We had traction control off and I had my foot to the floor. It just went squat and steamed ahead like a jet taking off lol.

Typhoon = Sedan

Tornado = Ute

:D

Lucky bugger :clap: so how much is it for one of these to chundie your undies :blink:

Worth the $s you think? wouldnt the sedan be even faster due to less weight?

You get 270kw and 550nm of torque straight out of the box lol. No worrying about mods to make it quicker. No 'oh what can I do to get more power' with this thing lol. Just plant your foot and watch the world turn into a freakin' time warp.

The ute IS lighter, and they have no traction issues whatsoever which is what won me over. Ford have created something special. A ute that handles decently, holds traction and is a turbo 6. Kinda like a hi-tech ute.

Goodbye Mr GTS Monaro (the new ones, I love the old ones still), goodbye Mr Clubsport.

Welcome to the 21st century.

The Utes are weigh more than the sedans... Not sure why

The XR6T and the F6 Utes arent speed limited to 180klm. Who would buy a performance car limited to 180...

And an interesting Fact the XR6 Turbo has the same engine and gearbox as the FPV F6 since the BFII upgrade. The F6 has different engine and gearbox calibration and a different intake.

How weird. On paper it said that Blairs was lighter? Similar to the 'paint debacle' with Toyota I guess (super red II...no wait...lucifer...or is it...hang on WTF?) lol.

XR6 Turbo Ute 1785kg

XR6 Turbo Sed 1600kg (This seems very light to me)

FPV F6 Ute 1827kg

FPV F6 Sed 1805kg

I got these from carsales specs but they arent perfect the Ford site I couldn't find the mass figures.

My XR6 Turbo Ute will arrive next month its an 07 Build Auto with a Luxury Pack in a colour called Seduce which is a metalic cherry red. :yahoo:

I looked at the FPV Tornado but I just didnt see the value in an extra $10k...

He basically traded his in. He had an FPV GT ute prior to this and just thought, 'meh, ok i'll get this'.

So the new XR6T's have 270kw also? They were 240kw w. 400nm or something similar before weren't they? (I'm about to go to lunch so i'm too lazy to look it up sorry haha)

Irregarless they're bloody quick. It's about to be 310kw w. 600nm with just a chip upgrade. Cherry metallic sounds very nice. More unique than some of the other colours.

He basically traded his in. He had an FPV GT ute prior to this and just thought, 'meh, ok i'll get this'.

So the new XR6T's have 270kw also? They were 240kw w. 400nm or something similar before weren't they? (I'm about to go to lunch so i'm too lazy to look it up sorry haha)

Irregarless they're bloody quick. It's about to be 310kw w. 600nm with just a chip upgrade. Cherry metallic sounds very nice. More unique than some of the other colours.

The BFII XR6 Turbos have 245kw

Ford is just trying save dollars with this. It makes sense to produce the one engine and apply a different tune via the computer.

The eGas 4.0l Ford engine shares the same bottom end as well.

The BFII XR6 Turbos have 245kw

Ford is just trying save dollars with this. It makes sense to produce the one engine and apply a different tune via the computer.

The eGas 4.0l Ford engine shares the same bottom end as well.

I know the utes still use the leaf springs setup in the back ie: more weight, but thats also why it would get good traction for a ute, that and ford always put expensive rubber on there high end cars.

The thought of '4ltr' turbo hhhhmmmmm its tempting.

I"ll just wait until i can pick one of these up for loose change, what with the magnificant rate of depreciation they have... :P

Depreciation is a Tax deduction...

So I will have a new car that I can depreciate over 4 years of ownership...

So you can wait while I enjoy my new car and collect the Tax benifit over the life of the car.

Then you can buy it second hand while I go and buy another new car and depreciate it over 4 years.

try driving a cl600, 5.5 litre V12 Bi-Turbo - 368 kw 800 nm torque then u can talk about ****ting your pants. I got in - (family friends car) and put foot flat ............... sh*tttttttttttt this thing fliess, like 4.8 secs to 100 in a car that weighs like 2 T, incredible

Soon hopefully ill be privileged to drive his new baby - CL 65 AMG 6litre V12 450kW and 1000 nm torque this will be an experience of a lifetime

Edited by steinny72

So in 4 years time i'll give you a call for that car. I don't earn enough to have that kind of tax write off...

Keep an eye out on Carsales in 4 years for an Unmodified Seduce XR6 Turbo Ute with a Luxury Pack option.

It will have low k's for its age and it will be in fastastic condition...

try driving a cl600, 5.5 litre V12 Bi-Turbo - 368 kw 800 nm torque then u can talk about ****ting your pants. I got in - (family friends car) and put foot flat ............... sh*tttttttttttt this thing fliess, like 4.8 secs to 100 in a car that weighs like 2 T, incredible

Soon hopefully ill be privileged to drive his new baby - CL 65 AMG 6litre V12 450kW and 1000 nm torque this will be an experience of a lifetime

Sounds like a nice car...

But when they come up againts an F6 or an XR6T (or even a Territory Turbo) with few mods they had better be prepared to feel a bit silly as they watch the back of the Ford vanish in the distance... :yahoo:

Ok you give me the money to buy one of those :lol:

I can easily just say:

"Oh pfft CL600? HAH! My dad's F-18 goes faster yeah...does mach 5 HO HO HOOOOO man she flies...I get in the cockpit, whack the afterburners on and WOHA! bloody -1000 seconds over the 1000mile!"

LOL j/k j/k

I guess what I'm trying to say is, the F6 is the quickest car that 'I' have been in, and also percieve it to be a real winner for the 'bang for buck' that you get. Of course there are quicker cars out there, but for what it is, the F6 is insane. That's all...no biggy.

hahahahah u guys kill me ..... lol

ok ....

CL600 = $300K+

Ford + mods = i dunno no more than $90K

My mates rx3 ex-pacman rotor = $70K = 1/4 mile in low 9's = Spinning through first 3 gears and chirp 4th = Ford and Merc driver @ the start line with old school mazda half way down the street ;) ;) ;) :P :P :P