how did you install your speakers?

JJCRU23R

im just wondering how you ppl have upgraded your speakers on your front doors?

the logic im goin by is that if your upgrading your speakers, it only makes sense that you want to show em off a bit instead of hiding behind the plastic grille of the stock speakers, so what have you guys done to modify your car doors so you can see the upgraded speakers?

if you did it yourself, would be great if you could provide some advice?

i want to keep my doors relatively stock looking except for the new speakers i got, so im guessing that im gonna have to cut off the grille that covers the stock speaker and fabricate a mount thatll point the speaker more towards my head.

anyone done this kinda job or had custom job done by jbhifi or something?

pics would help?!?

im not gonna pay someone else to do it for me so ima need some ideas to guide this project.

thankz in advance

jase

the logic im goin by is that if your upgrading your speakers, it only makes sense that you want to show em off a bit instead of hiding behind the plastic grille of the stock speakers, so what have you guys done to modify your car doors so you can see the upgraded speakers?

to tell u the truth, i went the other way.. for more of the stealth look. None of stock system is in the car but the only thing u'll see is the HU (and obviously the sub if u open the boot)

anyhow.. mayb others can help u.. :unsure:

Check out Car Audio Australia they have tutorials and DIY guides for you to follow. I too wanted to create angled pods to house my speakers in, but got lazy and just plugged them into the stock locations. It would take you about the weekend to do it.

Fibreglassing is your answer at this stage and plenty of creativity!!

Goodluck

yea i been tossing up between keeping it stealth and making/buying the fibreglass pods but im not so sure about how well a pod is going to stick to the rest of the stock door.

im sure theres a proper way to do it but yea, ill research my options b4 i decide to go the easier stealth stock replacement option.

the speakers i got look good! would be a waste of a decent looking grill to be hidden away by the stock stuff.

ive done fibreglassing b4 - made my own sub box for my 8"kicker solobaric :)

to tell u the truth, i went the other way.. for more of the stealth look. None of stock system is in the car but the only thing u'll see is the HU (and obviously the sub if u open the boot)

anyhow.. mayb others can help u.. :unsure:

agreed dazza i wanna keep my expensive speakers in my car not in someone elses!!

but have a look in Tayles garage, he's got some pretty cool build outs that u might like

i went custom on my front doors on my last car, 6 layers of FG over the original door pockets.

fgpod1sd0.jpg

thats as they were getting made, i had $1500 speakers in them.

they helped with imaging and staging, and also so they fitted the doors properly.

they were made by Phatt Audio in melb, cost me around $1200 but still needed to be finnished, never did cause i sold the car.

Yeah I've got some custom work in my car originally done by The Lifestyle Store in Sydney before I bought it, with a slight bit of modification from me. The front pods are pretty unimaginative (they do the job) but the rear door trims are a really nice bit of work, embossed with "RunX". I'll take some proper photos for you ASAP as I reckon you won't have much trouble doing this if you have experience with fibreglass. Have you used vinyl before? Anyways I'll get the proper camera out tomorrow :)

yea ive been thinking bout ppl stealing the speakers etc...

but it would be nice to see how well the speakers would sound when they are directed more towardz me ears u know?

but yea itll be a lot easier if i just kept em stealth, easy DIY job and no damn fibreglass to mix. yea ive fibreglassed before but its one thing to make a fibreglass box that you can take out and remove cleanly, compared to making a pod thats stuck onto the stock door panelz...

DSCF1410.jpg

DSCF1406e.jpgDSCF1405e.jpg

this is where im planning to place the speakers. in this pic i just used blutack to check out how itll look.. havent tested out the speakerz yet!

i found a tutorial online that shows how to modify the tweeter to join that door panel to make them 1 peice.

357004_86_full.jpg

see this tutorial was where they put the tweeter in the pillar...

357004_90_full.jpg

and in this pic you can see theres 1 on that triangular panel as well as the a pillar... not sure what i should do.

is this where you place your tweeters?

Edited by JJCRU23R

Yeah I used the little trainge piece like in your blue-tack photo. Alpine supply 3 mounting options so I used to ones that direct the sound toward the driver/passenger. I messed up a little bit as the angle is pointing slightly down but they sound great. Still need to get pics for you :lol:

Yeah I used the little trainge piece like in your blue-tack photo. Alpine supply 3 mounting options so I used to ones that direct the sound toward the driver/passenger. I messed up a little bit as the angle is pointing slightly down but they sound great. Still need to get pics for you :lol:

If I managed to get my hands on a set of those triangular panels (e.g. from a wreckers) from a corolla that has "a 6 speaker sound system" (in other words just the tweeters included with a mounting point on the triangular panels), would after-market tweeters fit in those factory mounting points???

Edited by grima88

If I managed to get my hands on a set of those triangular panels (e.g. from a wreckers) from a corolla that has "a 6 speaker sound system" (in other words just the tweeters included with a mounting point on the triangular panels), would after-market tweeters fit in those factory mounting points???

id say yes...

since every tweeter that ive seen up close has been more or less the same size.

the tutorial i was reading up on suggested asking places like strathfield if they had any extra mounts lying around if you dont have any..

They'd fit behind that piece but what would you mount them to?

They'd fit behind that piece but what would you mount them to?

I'd replace my triangular panel with the one with the mounts and put the aftermarket tweeters in there.

I'd replace my triangular panel with the one with the mounts and put the aftermarket tweeters in there.

Are there mounts on those ones? I thought they were screwed onto something that's part of the door.

Hey JJ that's exactly what mine look like but they're covered in vinyl that matches the vinyl of the car. Looks pretty good.... still need pics lol

you can screw the tweeters onto the triangular panel without a problem.

a few screws would be cheaper than trying to find those panels with the mounts already in them.

Edited by JJCRU23R

you can screw the tweeters onto the triangular panel without a problem.

a few screws would be cheaper than trying to find those panels with the mounts already in them.

It will look dodgy if u f*k it it up tho :lol: (if u like cut it wrong)

general rule when doing DIY...

measure twice, cut/screw once.

just check and double check that youre doing the right thing, or even better- have someone there with you when you are doing it. 4 eyes are better than 2!

general rule when doing DIY...

measure twice, cut/screw once.

just check and double check that youre doing the right thing, or even better- have someone there with you when you are doing it. 4 eyes are better than 2!

lol sounds like a plan

do like i did with the blutack... just stick the tweeter on there to see what looks good and even hook up the tweeter to position it to where you get the best sound...

once you figured how to wire it and all that, then screw it in place...

nice one taylez!

could you possibly take off the door panel and take a pic of the insides of it for me? hahaha!

it would really help me know what to do instead of just winging it!

nice one taylez!

could you possibly take off the door panel and take a pic of the insides of it for me? hahaha!

it would really help me know what to do instead of just winging it!

If I get a chance to do that I will, but all you need to know is that they've pretty much cut 6" holes into the OEM speaker grilles and then attached these pods... That's about it :lol:

Hey would these alpine speakers (im guessing they're 6.25") fit in the stock corolla speakers mounts??? (obviously without the alpine cover on top like yours have)

I would tend to say yes.

Mick0082 has fit MB-Quart component splits in the front behind the OEM speaker grilles (incl tweeters in the corners), plus Alpine splits in the rear doors. Micky-t has the same front component system and has fit Pioneer splits in the rear all underneath the OEM grilles too.

When you buy Alpine speakers they come with 3 mounting options for the tweets plus 2 sets of mounts for the midrange drivers. These mounts have heaps of holes for screws so you should find a few that match up with the stock holes plus they give you a little extra clearance with the magnet :)

Also if you like the Type R's then just buy the Type S's, they're very similar