Mazda 3 MPS

There is a problem with the SP23's but I thought it would be different with the 3MPS.

The problem is to do with the gearbox casing being too weak. So when there's alot of strain put on the mounts such as when taking off hard on the drag strip, the mount pulls out from the gearbox casing itself, leaving a hole in the gearbox case.

This looks like the mount itself has snapped off though rather than pulling out of the gearbox case

i gave one a little "poke" near my place a while back and i kept up with him easily, i proved my point and just stayed back of him cruising, then noticed smoke coming out of his exaust through gear changes im like wtf? its a brand new car isnt it? you could see he was punishing the gear box but its a brand new car its should be smoking like a blue/black smoke like that

turbo cars that run rich usually have a puff of fuel smoke during the changes.

our sportivo too, whenever we hit lift, there would be some black smoke come out of the exhaust :clap:

i think what he meant was the smoke is coming out constantly?

and dam that is some nasty stuff, good thing he was ok, imagine the whole engine fall onto the road

Edited by sportiyo

would be funny of there was a mass recall :lol: but yeah i got a really good 1-2 lift launch perfect text book then i slowed right down the mazda on the other sped past me then overtook me, i didnt care after that already bitchhed slapped him already :lol: but yeah smokin is the word for this thing like it was a worn turbo or something ah well his piece of junk not mine, sorry if i offended mps drivers but im not a fan and not afraid to say it so :P

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys haven't logged in for ages, and first thing i noticed was this thread! hehe.. well i have done 22,000kms on mine and not one single issue.. best thing about it is there are no rattles! :P :P Guys that drag their cars don't seem to have problems with their mounts and none of the other daily drivers on Ozmazda forum do either, so i can bet with you the dudes that broke theirs would have to had been abusing their cars or be running very low tyre pressure and lauching the car hard. Mind you a lot of MPS3s have been sold worldwide and these are the only few incidents i have heard of. ;) If you thrash it you will break it.

Edited by ZEEROLLA

And have you had any troubles with smoke coming out the exhaust??

Like the others said, hi-performance cars esp. turbos are tuned pig rich from factory so it can be normal to see them pump a bit of black smoke out the back end when flooring it, but in mine it doesn't happen much at all. Even in my ex Sportivo it had a bit but only very rarely. With my MPS the exhaust tip turns black almost immediately after i clean it lol

Also people that mod their cars, certain mods can make the car run richer/leaner like vent to atmosphere BOV/intake/exhaust mods.. so that MPS blowing smike could either have installed a fullysik vta BOV causing the ECU to dump more fuel and hence all those smoke (unburnt fuel). I highly doubt that guy blew his turbo, especially being such a new car but you never know.

Edited by ZEEROLLA

• 3 months later...

Hello people, i got my "Safety Recall" done last week and just like the Sportivo's we get a sticker on the door jam. It was a 2hr jobby and i applaud Mazda for jumping on this quick smart. Apparrently they replaced the no. 4 transmission bolt to a stronger material, its 1cm longer and tightened to a higher torque specification. It has been 30,000kms and car drives great! :) I recently added Mazdaspeed Coilovers which lowered it slightly (25mm) and Azenis RT615 tyres and it now handles much better (but very stiff on Sydney roads) with less of that "floaty" feeling.

p.s. was gonna add pics but they are too low quality and mine looks virtually stock anyway :P

Edited by ZEEROLLA

• 1 month later...

I feel sorry for the guy. luckily what broke didn't cause any internal damage to the engine. It's pretty good that Mazda did a recall without a customers stink-fest (think toyota). Kudo's to them.

P.S I like the look of the MPS but I seriously hate top-mount intercooler. it looks like a gauze-pack with some black plastic around it.