Squeeky/Creeky dash

Hi There,

Had my ZR6 for just over a month now and I'm loving it, however the dash makes a squeak or creek now and then when going over small bumps. I can replicate the squeak by pushing the dash behind the steering wheel. Sounds like the dash is in too tight and rubbing up again the window or something.

I'm wondering if it is caused by a detailing product that may have been used by the dealer to clean the windows or wipe the dash. Anyone else have this problem? I thought of using some sort of lube, but I don't want to make it worse or introduce any new problems. Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

B)

Hi There,

Had my ZR6 for just over a month now and I'm loving it, however the dash makes a squeak or creek now and then when going over small bumps. I can replicate the squeak by pushing the dash behind the steering wheel. Sounds like the dash is in too tight and rubbing up again the window or something.

I'm wondering if it is caused by a detailing product that may have been used by the dealer to clean the windows or wipe the dash. Anyone else have this problem? I thought of using some sort of lube, but I don't want to make it worse or introduce any new problems. Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

B)

i get a squeecky creeky dash noise sometimes in the mornings when the engine is running a bit cold apart from that, i never get it. if it does happen when going over bumps or when the engine is totally warmed up, then get it checked out because i normally dont get it. happens like once or twice per month. and plus you start hearing noises when you get the know the car really well so its just you maybe :P

We pulled out an Aurion Dash yesterday as the Dash was rubbing against the windscreen causing a vibration noise...

So many creaks and rattles now with plastic dash parts...

Should go back to the days of soft vinyl dash tops with plastic facia pieces only...

Hi There,

Cheers

B)

My Presara has same noise but very hard to find where - Definitely something is tapping the windscreen, not very often but annoying - I took my son to go for around 100k but he could not hear anything on freeway.

BH

Hi There,

Cheers

B)

i get a squeecky creeky dash noise sometimes in the mornings when the engine is running a bit cold apart from that, i never get it. if it does happen when going over bumps or when the engine is totally warmed up, then get it checked out because i normally dont get it. happens like once or twice per month. and plus you start hearing noises when you get the know the car really well so its just you maybe :P

The noise occurs at any stage hot or cold. Sounds to me like the dash rubbing against the window.

It's not only me who noticed it, my mate who is a real car buff noticed it too. Might have to give the Toyota service department a call and see if they have any ideas. I reakon a spray lube would do the job, but not sure what to try. I mentioned WD-40 to may mate and he said when it heats up it will emmit a residue and it will form on the windscreen. :unsure:

Wow,

I just read the topic and went 'yep same problem here'.. I found my squeek is reduced when i turn the heater on full and have the air directed up to the windscreen and versa if i have the air con on full at the windscreen it gets worse... I thought that it may just be my car, seeing i bought it in Jan 2007 in WA, and then drove it across the Nullaboar in 46 degrees.

But is sounds like a universal issuue.

Im going to ask the service guys to take a look. My Aurion is going in for its 22500 service althought its already pushing 25000km.

Ill post and let you know the feedback / result

We pulled out an Aurion Dash yesterday as the Dash was rubbing against the windscreen causing a vibration noise...

Should go back to the days of soft vinyl dash tops with plastic facia pieces only...

Roller Boy,

So was it fixed after it was refitted? If so what was done to fix it?

My dash was squeaking and it was the Dash Display window, once removed and replaced it has cease, now I have a new sound from the body is creaking or twisting over uneven surface while driving, sound like the sun roof rubbers moving against the metal surrounding roof.

Edited by Aurion ZR6

My dash was squeaking and it was the Dash Display window, once removed and replaced it has cease, now I have a new sound from the body is creaking or twisting over uneven surface while driving, sound like the sun roof rubbers moving against the metal surrounding roof.

I thought i had some noise but that was from my car charger vibrating from the bass. nothing from mine :) thank *** ! :P

I can't stand rattling interiors! That's why I got rid of my last car! There's a rather loud rattle that comes from my glove box. However when the compartment is open, there's no sound.

Edited by Zeus

• 2 weeks later...
My Presara has same noise but very hard to find where - Definitely something is tapping the windscreen, not very often but annoying - I took my son to go for around 100k but he could not hear anything on freeway.

BH

I brought my car to the dealer for "the first checkup" today - they could not find it. By they way, I asked them to disconnect the centre stop light but the light is still there (I did not check when picking up the car until get home) and in the invoice they put this "centre stop light has been disconnected". This makes me wandering how good the service was .

BH

Edited by BanHien

Yep me too...the ZR6 has about 4k on the clock now and occasionally I hear a squeak from the dash.

FWIW, the centre armrest used to squeak unbelievably when I rested my elbow on it - on the road the small differences in pressure from road undulations would make it constantly squeak - extremely annoying. But guess what, its stopped completely in the last few weeks, so I put it down to a minor manufacturing issue which has settled down itself.

Back to dash noises, when I have the aircon on (blowing cold not hot, so it must be from the cold side) there is a very obvious rattle from inside the duct. It worstens when cornering in one direction (cant remember which now), which seems to indicate something loose in there somewhere.

My most concerning problem is an issue with the transmission - see my thread.

Cheers all,

The Pig

It's not a major problem, but it's worrying. Toyota's halo has been slipping in surveys in recent years, and I hope their rapid expansion and global dominance don't cut into their reputation for quality.

That said, at least the Aurion doesn't have 3 recalls in one year, high incidence of misaligned trim, electrical problems, paint fade problems on certain models, high quality variability, rattles, squeaks etc. like an *ahem* certain competitor launched in the same year.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to know if anyone has had thier dash fixed/stopped rattling...???

Im just over 35000km now approaching the 37'500 service so im going to be asking about it then.

Because it seems to be progressivly getting worse, especially with the A/C on cold, and coming onto summer... its going to be getting cranked up to the max.

EVERY car (and I mean every) will develop it's own little quirks over it's operating life. Most will get some kind of rattle or squeak somewhere. Just accept it, it's part of the game. Ever since the Koreans introduced the $13,990 drive away no more to pay deal, build quality in cars (bar the odd Lexus and BMW) has gone down the toilet. If you want to live with it, call it character. My 26 year old KE55 has a whole heap of creaks and squeaks coming from the dash, but thats part of what makes it so fun to drive. The AE102 has fortunately escaped the squeak demon, but I have no reservations as to whether one will develop in the near future.

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

Me again, I started this post in the first place. I had this squeak ratttle checked just recently on my 15,000 Km service. They confirmed the rattle/squeak and said they need to take the dash out. Before this they told me there is a know issue with the vents making a squeak/rattle but confirmed that mine wasn't that type. Toyota came out with a new type of vent or mod to fix that so it looks mine mine was OK in that department.

Anyway I'm having the dash removed next week and hopefully the squeak will be rectified. I've kind of got used to it, but every now and then when I have the radio right down, I hear it a few times when going over a small bump and think, 'I need to get this looked at'.

I'll will post the outcome neek week.

Cheers

My dash is doing it too, the dealership say they have a fix for it with one being done already with an excellent result, no more creaks etc. I was concerned as to which mechanic could do this well enough and my service manager assured me he would only put the most experienced guy they had on to fix it. Will let you know also how I go.

See also my post under "what problems have you had"

Keep up the feedback everyone, it's a great car to drive but there have been some issues!

Hi All,

Me again, I started this post in the first place. I had this squeak ratttle checked just recently on my 15,000 Km service. They confirmed the rattle/squeak and said they need to take the dash out. Before this they told me there is a know issue with the vents making a squeak/rattle but confirmed that mine wasn't that type. Toyota came out with a new type of vent or mod to fix that so it looks mine mine was OK in that department.

Cheers

I've already had this same done with mine. It was a VERY annoying rattle in the aircon ducts although it appeared to be coming from the right hand dash speaker area.

The dealer completely removed the dash and modified something in the the aircon duct and it's fixed the problem. This kind of rattle should not happen with Toyotas! If I'd wanted problems of this nature, I would have bought another Ford (PS that will never happen ).

Edited by JRC

Hi All,

Cheers

I've already had this same done with mine. It was a VERY annoying rattle in the aircon ducts although it appeared to be coming from the right hand dash speaker area.

The dealer completely removed the dash and modified something in the the aircon duct and it's fixed the problem. This kind of rattle should not happen with Toyotas! If I'd wanted problems of this nature, I would have bought another Ford (PS that will never happen ).

Two months old and mine is quiet but my company had 4 lexus IS250 3 of them had the dash removed for rattles They put new clips on the bulkhead and they were more or less OK seems a toyota groupd common problem! Also had teh vetns re packed to stop middle vent rattle Overall the Aurion so far seems BETTER built than the Lexi!!!

alan