Tyre Shops - The good and the bad

I've been through a few tyre places here in Brisbane, and have to say there is not one shop that I'm completely happy with.

Just want to share some the dodgy things I've seen and also the good things (to be fair).

Hopefully others will make some posts on their experiences and warnings, so the members can be better advised next time out.

Brisbane ones:

Bob Jane on Kessels Rd Macgregor

Cons: Rip off, if the monkeys in the workshop can't fit the blocks under your lowered car they will lift your car up by the fenders and therefore bend it, and sales staff are arrogant.

Pros: none

Bottom line: Stay the hell away

Bob Jane Underwood

Cons: bought 4 brand new tyres from them with 4 different tyre pressures (ranging from 28-36) :blink: , very slow to get the job done on 4 occasions but they are usually pretty busy.

Pro: Friendly service, gave good advice on quality tyres and a good deal

Bottom line: Would go back, but check everything afterwards

Ozzytyres Coopers Plains

Cons: Most arrogant and hustling staff I've ever seen (they seriously think they are too cool for someone that works in a tyre store), promise a load of extras to make it seem like a good deal but won't deliver (like good tyres we orginally agreed on but decided to change in the last minute) and will drag things out. Gave us back our car with new chrome wheels without center hub rings!!! The workshop staff look like they will take turns on taking your car out back for burn outs, and make a copy of your key if you blink.

Pros: They do stock some unique wheels

Bottom line: go if you have to, otherwise stay the hell away, worse place I've been

Jax Slacks creek

Cons: Tried to rip me off for wheel alignment. Asked them not to use airguns due to the design of my lock lug-nuts, but of course they still used it anyway. Have no idea how to adjust the camber on coilovers, only one dude did, and it still took him ages.

Pros: can't think of any

Bottom line: there are better places

Jax Macgregor

Cons: They've gone bankrupt :(

Pros: Cheap and quality alignment, workshop personnel knows what they're doing, even used a torque bar to tighten the lug-nuts without request (seems those days are over). Great waiting room.

If anyone in Brisbane know of a good tyre place please post, as all the ones around my place are dodgy as :angry:

Edited by DHC09

Can vouch for Bob Jane at Springwood/ Underwood. They can be a bit slow and are always friggen busy but they are loyal to return customers with good deals. Cameron the owner(the BIG guy) is the man to speak to or Jason as he has been there since I started to deal with them over 10 years ago. Both have good knowledge and offer both the pro's and con's of individual brands and don't try and push you towards the brand they want to sell. Tell them what you want as far as performance/cost etc goes and they'll offer you the choices to suit you and your car. The correct choices as far as load ratings etc etc.

Bob Jane at Chermside. Service is good but prices maybe a bit expensive. Haven't heard one bad story about them at all. Dad's gone to them quite a bit and hasn't complained. my mate 94Camry on here goes there and gets good deals and hasn't complained about them either. I've been twice to them now and I'd certainly recommend them for sure.

Jax Quickfit at Aspley... not to sure about them. Giving them a try for prices and service at the moment as I need new mags and tyres... but yeah not many staff or customers there... so that might say something...

Can vouch for Bob Jane at Springwood/ Underwood. They can be a bit slow and are always friggen busy but they are loyal to return customers with good deals. Cameron the owner(the BIG guy) is the man to speak to or Jason as he has been there since I started to deal with them over 10 years ago. Both have good knowledge and offer both the pro's and con's of individual brands and don't try and push you towards the brand they want to sell. Tell them what you want as far as performance/cost etc goes and they'll offer you the choices to suit you and your car. The correct choices as far as load ratings etc etc.

Yeah I have no problem with their service and prices, in fact they're the best compared to most places. And Cameron was the one that recommended me to the RE001 :D

Just wish they could hire people in the workshop that is smart enough to do something as basic as filling 4 tyres with the same pressure.

Another vote for the above. Agreed they were busy and it took a while, but normal people (ie: not me) dont usually want to watch to make sure they dont scratch my new rims. :rolleyes:

Yeah I have no problem with their service and prices, in fact they're the best compared to most places. And Cameron was the one that recommended me to the RE001 :D

Just wish they could hire people in the workshop that is smart enough to do something as basic as filling 4 tyres with the same pressure.

maybe u dunno how to use a tyre pressure gauge Dave :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Not specifically a Tyre Shop, but Speedy Wheels along Moss St in Slacks Creek are great. Almost everybody at my old work (Autobarn just up the road) who has gotten rims or tyres recently has gone to him. Prices are good and haven't heard one bad thing about service or problems with the products.

BOB JANE SPRINGWOOD

I have gone to these guys the last couple times I have needed new tyres. They gave me a great price and really good service. Only negative was I had my last car lowered there when I had new wheels put on and they tried to charge me $600 for springs when I know they only cost $400.

But I would still go back.

agree that JAX at Macgregor is pretty cheap and is the only place that I know of that can get Japanese branded rims, now they are gone so don't know where to get them anymore in Brisbane.

Tyre power at Capalaba, quick and friendly but a bit far, tell them you work for Paul at dominos and you can get cheaper price, thats what I did anyway ;) the only thing is they will tell you how good the Toyo's are and how crap the Bridgestones are........its like a long lecture the other day when i was there

• 2 weeks later...

I realise the OP is about tyre shops in Brisbane and I'm about to talk about one in Melbourne, but what goes around comes around...

Tyrepower, Blackburn rd (VIC)

Pros:

- Friendly staff, happy to explain things.

- Do not use impact hammers on wheel lugs.

- Cheap 4-wheel alignment.

- Free 10,000km rotate + balance.

- Asked me if I needed a lift anywhere after dropping my car off.

Cons:

- Gave me the wrong tyres even after calling them twice to confirm. Did not write desired brand in their 'book'.

- Did not write down the fact that I wanted them to look at my front end until the third time I told them to.

- Did not check the torque on the wheel nuts with a torque wrench, just torqued them however much they felt like at the time.

- Did not clean rims. I didn't really care about this, but not only did they not clean them, but they were dirtier when I got them back because they sprayed the tyre paint over them AND some of my bodywork.

- Did not road test vehicle after fitting new tyres, evidenced by the fact that one of my rear wheels was emitting a clicking / knocking sound the moment I took off down the road. Somehow they managed to stuff my rear wheel handbrake assembly? I just got a brake overhaul about 6 months ago. No offer of compensation or acknowledgment of responsibility. See below...

Waverly Exhaust & Brake Centre (next to Tyrepower)

So Tyrepower don't do brakes. I took it to these guys to look at my clicking noise (which, despite Tyrepower telling me it's perfectly safe, make the car shake badly at speed and got progressively worse). I also asked them to look at an exhaust rattle I had.

Pros:

- None, though I didn't get much work done. Well, they 'mostly' fixed the issue with the handbrake, I guess that's one. Fortunately they did it cheaply, because I was ready to bite some heads off.

Cons:

- All they did after their diagnosis time was adjust the handbrake, which apparently takes from 8 in the morning until sometime around closing time.

- Apparently I was called 'a few times' to be told that my car was ready, yet I received only one missed call and that was from a private number (which called back later in the night, just a survey). It seems to me that I was lied to.

- Flattened my battery by leaving the ignition in the 'on' position.

- Left their plastic seat cover on the seat for me to dispose of.

- Apparently could not hear / find a cause for the exhaust rattle. I wouldn't have minded, but the very next day I did an oil change and discovered a large crack and hole in the piping just after the cat. You're telling me that an 'exhaust shop' couldn't pick this up???

Bogans and wrenches. I thought that putting 4 tyres on some rims would be simple enough on a 17 year old car not to warrant a trip to a dealership. This was the first time I ever bought tyres, and there will not be a 'next time' - I am buying an air compressor and will, in future, buy my own friggin' tyres.

The Tyre Factory Bulleen (VIC)

Great place to go to get nearly anything done to your car. Got a set of wheels and tyres there, reasonable price and the job was done amazingly fast. Daniel, the guy behind the reception desk is very friendly. I asked them if they would help me drop a turbo into my car and they said they "[we] should be able to do it and if not, we know someone who can." Also when I asked to get my brakes painted red they gave me two options: that I could get it done the cheap and fast way or the slow and expensive way (powdercoated). They didn't try to rip me off by charging the powdercoat method and doing the simple spray method.

Pros: friendly, fast service, huge range of service.

Cons: The boss, Steve tried to rip me off. He wanted to buy my stock wheels and tyres for $100.

I'll be going back to them to drop in a T3. :)

• 3 weeks later...

i work for bob jane ipswich have done for 5 years and i can say we are bloody good at what we do.. even if you dont buy the tyres from us we still will fix other stores stuff ups and offer great service.. as for lowered cars not a drama we never lift cars we drive them up onto blocks and jack them up takes a little longer but its worth it

• 2 months later...

Tyre Plus Glen Waverley, Vic

Cons: Greg (Boss) there looks at u like u owe him money since kinder. Lousy customer service. Doesn't know how to fit or balance tyres properly. New tyre prices ain't that cheap. Charged me $25 bucks to fit, balance and scrap 2 tyres but trust me, pay more to do it else where. I would now as they can't even fit 2 tyres properly.

Pros: Can't think of any.

Tyre Factory Dandenong, Vic

Pros: Friendly service and nice staff. Quite obliging most of the time depending who u dealing with. Price is cheap enough and more often they are more than willing to match or re-negotiate. Would go back there for tyres and wheels but not sussy work or anything else other than tyres.

Cons: I think they gave me reset(ed) rear springs but when I went back, they assure me that they only fit what was supplied to them. Furthermore, its warranted for a year or so. Happy to bring it back if it stuffs up. So I'm OK with that.

Top side is that at least they can fit & balance tyres properly for $5 each. Dispose is an additional $2.50!

:D

This topic is really good because I'm in the midst of getting quotes for a new set of tyres, as well as repairing some of the scratches on my rims.

Any good shops in Brisbane that do both? I'm looking to put Bridgestone RE001s.

Edited by TRD Aurion Owner

K-Mart Tyre and Auto Capalaba, QLD

Pros: Very happy with their service and prices on tyres. Been going for years and they have never done anything wrong.

Cons: None.

I wish there was someone here that is totally happy with their tyre service but located in Victoria!

<_<

Pros: Very happy with their service and prices on tyres. Been going for years and they have never done anything wrong.

I wish there was someone here that is totally happy with their tyre service but located in Victoria!

<_<

Guni... how many times to do i have to say South Melbourne Tyres within ear shot of you! LOL

Great Service always! ask for Greg, and tell him Andy from Globe Sent you.

<_<

Guni... how many times to do i have to say South Melbourne Tyres within ear shot of you! LOL

Great Service always! ask for Greg, and tell him Andy from Globe Sent you.

They sell camber bolts and do camber adjustments?

:rolleyes: