DIY debadging

just go buy some fishing line and some uclyptus oil. just run the fishin line under the badge and they come off with ease then get some uclyptus oil on a cloth and rub away the excess sticky stuff...wullah

Edited by eSEXSIX

Pretty much what eSEXSIX said. It helps if the badge and car surface is warm (either gently with a hair dryer or left in the summer sun for a moment) then you start sliding the fishing wire underneath the badges. Once the badges are off, you will have patches of this 'foam' left over. I'd highly recommend trying to remove as much of this as possible firstly; a thumbnail does the trick most of the time.

Once you have taken off the bulk of it, then you can use eucalyptus oil as suggested, or a citrus oil (commonly available as a general purpose goo remover such as 'oomph'). The reason why I suggested to remove as much foam adhesive as possible before using the goo removal oil is because when the oil touches it, it tends to soften up to a tar-like substance. Sure it no longer adheres to the surface, but lifting it off the surface of the paint ain't too fun; it just slides around.

Once all that's done, depending on how the surface looks, a quick application of swirl remover (or if it's that bad; cut and polish) will do the trick to blend things in.

P.S. Doing a search under 'debadge' returned this thread: 'debadging my car??' which then led to this thread: 'Badging my Car..', both containing the answers you seek.

mmmmm i like!!! our cars are pretty much identical hey both 07's both Sx6's both got the same grill, both meshed lower grill, both debadged and both got an exhaust growl!!! :spiteful: and the 2 hooligans that hit the centenary highway lol

Edited by eSEXSIX

After I did mine where the badge was still visible, and the terry towel from the eucalyptus oil left swirls, meguiars scratch X fixed tho, maybe you wont need it tho cause your car isnt a dark colour.

After I did mine where the badge was still visible, and the terry towel from the eucalyptus oil left swirls, meguiars scratch X fixed tho, maybe you wont need it tho cause your car isnt a dark colour.

i thought that eucy oil would leave oxidation on car paint?

BKS Badge removal 101.

Aparatus: Boiling water from kettle, fishing line or string, blockbusters card, rags, citrus oil (goo remover)

Method:

1. Boil Kettle

2. Slowly pour (trickle) boiling water all over the badge... slowly to ensure the badge, and the car panel warm up sufficiently.... use the whole kettle

3. Slide the Fishingline under the badge as close to the panel as you can get, and seperate the badge from the panel.

4. using the corner of the blockbusters card (any video store card, or old credit card will suffice) remove any large peices of excess glue/foam material.

5. Dab/wipe the goo remover onto the residue, and let it soak in.

6. scrape the next layer off with the plastic card.

7. Repeat Steps 4 - 6 untill you have removed all the glue.

8. Get out your polish and give the are a good going over.

Results:

Observe and Admire your scratch free and residue free clean car.