Aurion Interior

Toddy_1

Hi All,

I have an Aurion AT-X 07, purchased recently ex-Toyota "pool" car, only done 13,200klms, warranty runs out 06/11. It's the family sedan at present (until I take it over next year when the wife gets new a car !), so my question is, has anyone or do you recommend Scotch Guarding the interior ? Say the door trim only ?

Appreciate your feed back

Regards, Toddy

For cleaning up your interior, 3M Scotchguard is not a bad cleaner. I don't clean my upholstery much but when I do, I just use Kitten Upholstery cleaner. May not be the best out there, but it does the trick. So that said, it's personal preference really. If you trust the 3M product more, then go for it. Just make sure to do a spot test first to make sure it is completely safe for the material.

For my interior plastics, I use Meguiars Gold Class Dash & Trim Foam Protectant. This stuff is applied as a foam in which you then spread over the dash and ;eave it or lightly buff it depending on how much shine you want. It doesn't have that overly greasy feeling that Armor All has, and even when you get it on your hands, it breaks up a little easier than Armor All.

Newcastle: It's all personal preference really. Go to any automotive store and you will find a range of different brands. Personally, I would recommend a Meguiars product (such as Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner and Conditioner), or an Autoglym product.

For cleaning up your interior, 3M Scotchguard is not a bad cleaner. I don't clean my upholstery much but when I do, I just use Kitten Upholstery cleaner. May not be the best out there, but it does the trick. So that said, it's personal preference really. If you trust the 3M product more, then go for it. Just make sure to do a spot test first to make sure it is completely safe for the material.

For my interior plastics, I use Meguiars Gold Class Dash & Trim Foam Protectant. This stuff is applied as a foam in which you then spread over the dash and ;eave it or lightly buff it depending on how much shine you want. It doesn't have that overly greasy feeling that Armor All has, and even when you get it on your hands, it breaks up a little easier than Armor All.

Newcastle: It's all personal preference really. Go to any automotive store and you will find a range of different brands. Personally, I would recommend a Meguiars product (such as Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner and Conditioner), or an Autoglym product.

daryl, just on the gold class dash and trim foam, do you find it gives a high shine? or can it be applied to give a matt appearance? im using meguiars ultimate quick interior detailer but being summer time, want something with uv protection but without a high shine... being a meguiars brand whore i was wanting to try the gold class foam...

Edited by -DAvo

Scotch Guard is used as a protector, rather like the vinyl / plastic treatments you might use. It should really be used once you have cleaned the fabrics really well. The can states you should apply it every time to clean the fabric, but that is overkill IMO. I would do it every 3-6 months depending how much you drive.

FYI, i'll be doing mine this weekend, i'll let ya know how it goes :)

I had my SX6 upholstery Scotch Guarded as an optional extra at time of purchase.

I live in my car, eat in it, Drink Coffee in it and am on the road a lot for business with all the accidents that inevitably happen

while trying to multi task with a phone, burger, drink, stereo, GPS and driving!

So far the upholstery looks, as new. Any mishaps have all vacuumed out and a light wipe with a damp cloth has left it all looking pristine

so I would recommend Scotch Guard as a very worthwhile proactive protection.

I had my SX6 upholstery Scotch Guarded as an optional extra at time of purchase.

I live in my car, eat in it, Drink Coffee in it and am on the road a lot for business with all the accidents that inevitably happen

while trying to multi task with a phone, burger, drink, stereo, GPS and driving!

So far the upholstery looks, as new. Any mishaps have all vacuumed out and a light wipe with a damp cloth has left it all looking pristine

so I would recommend Scotch Guard as a very worthwhile proactive protection.

For the price the dealer offered it to me for (500$ extra for Scotch guarding) I think id rather go home and do it myself. I don't see how their product could be that much better than something you buy off the shelves. In any case, I've also been trying to find some UV protection for the dash, was looking at those Meguiars wipes, but I might just get the gold class foam. Does it apply on the door trims too because the door grips feel a bit like plastic and don't feel like the dash material at all.

For the price the dealer offered it to me for (500$ extra for Scotch guarding) I think id rather go home and do it myself. I don't see how their product could be that much better than something you buy off the shelves. In any case, I've also been trying to find some UV protection for the dash, was looking at those Meguiars wipes, but I might just get the gold class foam. Does it apply on the door trims too because the door grips feel a bit like plastic and don't feel like the dash material at all.

It never cost me anywhere near the price you stated but in any case when it's done professionally if something goes wrong you have some come back, when you do it yourself you don't! and, I think they generally do a better, more thorough job than you can do at home.

It was applied to seats, headrests, carpets, mats and fabric inserts on the doors.

with regards to leather, autoglym has the leather care cream and the leather upholstery cleaner, both of can which be used on dashboards as well (which i do). they leave a nice and rich, yet matte finish to the dash which is especially good in summer, as glossy finishes reflect off the windscreen and impact vision.

personally, fabric cleaners are essentially all the same if you pay a decent price for it. however, leather care products are different ball game. i'd personally go with autoglym over meguires, but its up to you

Hi All,

Thanks for the feed back. As the car is "practically" new (only had it 3 weeks) the interior is in great condition. I'll give it a through vacuum and then followup with the Scotch Guard.

I'll first test an area as you suggest Daryl.

Cheers to all

Toddy

if i have my way i would use a steam cleaner as i want to avoid the chemicals based cleaners ones as much as i can... :P

Steam is good... but the chemicals smell better :lol:

if i have my way i would use a steam cleaner as i want to avoid the chemicals based cleaners ones as much as i can... :P

Steam is good... but the chemicals smell better :lol:

When I bought my car there was a stain on the driver's seat (spilt coffee, meatpie...who knows?) The salesman, honest and trustworthy soul, like all car/realestate salespeople, told me that the detailers at the yard tried everything to remove it with no luck. I got it home and tried some 5 Star interior cleaner from Crazy Clarks, The Warehouse or wherever, and to my utter lack of amazement, it came right out with a little spray and some rubbing with a microfibre towel!!!

I bought this amazing product called seatcovers that will prevent me from a repeat of the stain (it is my constitutional right to drink coffee and eat pies in my car while I am driving!) The covers are great as they have the same mesh appearance as the original seats as well as being side airbag compliant.

The covers I had in my Camry kept the seat in original condition that I was amazed when I took them off to sell the car.

Scotchguard would probably be good if you have any of those small dirt and stain creating creatures that people often have in the back of their cars :P

I have an Aurion AT-X 07, purchased recently ex-Toyota "pool" car, only done 13,200klms, warranty runs out 06/11. It's the family sedan at present (until I take it over next year when the wife gets new a car !), so my question is, has anyone or do you recommend Scotch Guarding the interior ? Say the door trim only ?

Appreciate your feedback

Hi I have used Scotch Guard since 1974 and still use it, its great. Don't skimp, give it a good coat. If you spill something on the seat it just wipes off. Or at least it has for me. It forms a waterproof coating. I've also used Armourall For years and have no complaints. Current car is a Vienta Grande with leather seats etc and so far have used Meguiars Gold Class and Autoglym but have not had time to make an assessment.