Surge in park

SCOOTA44

I haven't had the scenario you speak of but a very similar one. Just once only though... out of the many thousands of k's the car had travelled.

When I was in Sydney earlier in the year for one of their Villawood meets, we headed over to Olympic Park. On the drive out, we got stuck at a set of lights. Everyone was revving their engine for fun, so I put mine into neutral and hit the accelerator a couple of times. First time was fine, but the second time I hit it, the car actually jumped forward a little as the revs got close to the peak of the "blip" that I did.

I was like WTF!!! I only had my brakes applied just enough to hold the car there (to have less heat transfer) and when the car jumped, it sure gave me a bit of a fright.

I've had exactly the same issues both in neutral and in park. Does anyone know if this is normal or a problem or even what would cause this issue because it gave me a bit of a fright when it happened in park to me too.

I've had exactly the same issues both in neutral and in park. Does anyone know if this is normal or a problem or even what would cause this issue because it gave me a bit of a fright when it happened in park to me too.

What you will find is that this is common to all vehicles,due to the EAST/WEST layout of the engine in relatiom to the body

in other words FWD, it is the engine producing its share of power but more importantly TORQUE and it in turn is pulling the engine forward on its mounts (rotational twist ).

Cars with Rear Wheel Drive when they are given a bit of a rev when stationary their engines will pull to the side rather than rock forward or backward due to their drive line being in a longitude configuration. Cars at the drags just watch the blower hanging out of the bonnet that will show just how much they are pulling on the mounts.

I just need to ask with the Aurion so quiet and all,what are you gainig by revving the crap out of it at traffic lights whilst it is stationary ?

What you will find is that this is common to all vehicles,due to the EAST/WEST layout of the engine in relatiom to the body

in other words FWD, it is the engine producing its share of power but more importantly TORQUE and it in turn is pulling the engine forward on its mounts (rotational twist ).

Cars with Rear Wheel Drive when they are given a bit of a rev when stationary their engines will pull to the side rather than rock forward or backward due to their drive line being in a longitude configuration. Cars at the drags just watch the blower hanging out of the bonnet that will show just how much they are pulling on the mounts.

I just need to ask with the Aurion so quiet and all,what are you gainig by revving the crap out of it at traffic lights whilst it is stationary ?

I'm not talking about engine movement here mate. I'm more than competent enough to tell the difference between normal engine movement within the engine bay compared to the transmission engaging and actually moving the car... especially when it is a one off occurrence.

I actually mean the car physically rolled forward under power of the engine. As in enough force to push it over one of those metal speed bump things if I was right behind one without my foot on the brake.

And if you read, we were mucking around and if you're not aware, I had an intake and exhaust on my last Aurion so it wasn't exactly quiet.

Anyways, this was a one off occasion and never happened again. The car was driven pretty hard prior to that occurring, so it could have just been an issue with the transmission not disengaging correctly. It certainly wasn't safe for it to engage when in neutral, but it's not something that anyone should come across in the first place.

haven't tried it in neutral, but I only notice it parked on level ground, maybe the locking pin for park is not fully engaging and when you give it a squirt it locks in ??????

haven't tried it in neutral, but I only notice it parked on level ground, maybe the locking pin for park is not fully engaging and when you give it a squirt it locks in ??????

If the locking pin does not engage when shifted into park, the car has to roll either forwards or backwards to enable it to lock in.

The issue I was referring to above may be different to what you were experiencing. All I can say is that no transmission should engage when in neutral.

If the locking pin does not engage when shifted into park, the car has to roll either forwards or backwards to enable it to lock in.

The issue I was referring to above may be different to what you were experiencing. All I can say is that no transmission should engage when in neutral.

yes Daryl your experience sounds a lot more scary than mine, i spose the computer might get confused now and again. none the less not good.

... i spose the computer might get confused now and again. none the less not good.

This is the problem... I wouldn't think it is ECU related. The Aurion transmission still uses a mechanical shifter to engage and disengage the transmission. So when you put it into neutral, you are physically disengaging the transmission.

... i spose the computer might get confused now and again. none the less not good.

This is the problem... I wouldn't think it is ECU related. The Aurion transmission still uses a mechanical shifter to engage and disengage the transmission. So when you put it into neutral, you are physically disengaging the transmission.

sorry I assumed it was a "fly by wire" setup. nice if it was we could have paddle control on the steering wheel ;)

• 5 weeks later...

This happened to me and it freaked me out!

I started the car from a cold start today and the car is high in rev's as always since its a cold engine but about 5 seconds in the ENGINE lurched forward and it made the car move. If felt like when you hit the brakes at like 5km/h and the car comes to an abrupt stop and the whole car jumps forward.

A bit of a weird feeling.

I wasn't revving or anything, just letting the engine do its thing and warm up a bit before I drive out of the garage..

This happened to me and it freaked me out!

I started the car from a cold start today and the car is high in rev's as always since its a cold engine but about 5 seconds in the ENGINE lurched forward and it made the car move. If felt like when you hit the brakes at like 5km/h and the car comes to an abrupt stop and the whole car jumps forward.

A bit of a weird feeling.

I wasn't revving or anything, just letting the engine do its thing and warm up a bit before I drive out of the garage..

It just done it again today from a cold start! What the. It sounds like something like thick metal hits the engine and it causes it to surge forward. Its like a split second thing but it's very noticeable. It's weird because it never used to do this but only now its doing it and its the second time :huh:

It just done it again today from a cold start! What the.

Sounds to me like you p!ssed her off when you said that you were considering selling her :lol:.

That's going to be interesting to try and get Toyota to replicate.

It just done it again today from a cold start! What the.

Sounds to me like you p!ssed her off when you said that you were considering selling her :lol:.

That's going to be interesting to try and get Toyota to replicate.

hahaha, I think I did ***** her off :P.

Seriously I doubt I will EVER be able to replicate this. Do you think it has something to do with rev's too high on cold start up? Seriously on a cold engine these Aurions are louudd like a lawn mower. I wonder if it has anything to do with the engine oil.

Do you think it has something to do with rev's too high on cold start up? Seriously on a cold engine these Aurions are louudd like a lawn mower. I wonder if it has anything to do with the engine oil.

Firstly, I wouldn't say the revs are too high. It only start off higher than usual for around 30 seconds on average, and that's on a cold start. I wouldn't be worried about that.

Secondly, I doubt engine oil has any part in this. The issue here appears to be coming from the transmission. Now automatic transmissions aren't my thing, so I really don't know what may or may not be engaging when it should/shouldn't.

Do you think it has something to do with rev's too high on cold start up? Seriously on a cold engine these Aurions are louudd like a lawn mower. I wonder if it has anything to do with the engine oil.

Firstly, I wouldn't say the revs are too high. It only start off higher than usual for around 30 seconds on average, and that's on a cold start. I wouldn't be worried about that.

Secondly, I doubt engine oil has any part in this. The issue here appears to be coming from the transmission. Now automatic transmissions aren't my thing, so I really don't know what may or may not be engaging when it should/shouldn't.

Thats interesting mate. Could it be that our pins are becoming dodgy? Because remember how the park brake is designed in these Aurions? No matter how much force you apply on the park brake the car will always roll back.

I've taken your advice from the other thread and when parked on a incline/decline, put it on neutral, then apply park brake then throw it in park. And this definitely stops the car from rolling back and also changing the gear from park to reverse changes without having to yank it and without a big scary clunk.

Thats interesting mate. Could it be that our pins are becoming dodgy? Because remember how the park brake is designed in these Aurions? No matter how much force you apply on the park brake the car will always roll back.

I've taken your advice from the other thread and when parked on a incline/decline, put it on neutral, then apply park brake then throw it in park. And this definitely stops the car from rolling back and also changing the gear from park to reverse changes without having to yank it and without a big scary clunk.

I highly doubt this has anything to do with the parking lock pawl. It's more to do with the transmission engaging/disengaging which is separate to that. As well, this has occurred in neutral as well where the parking mechanism is completely out of the question.

I highly doubt this has anything to do with the parking lock pawl. It's more to do with the transmission engaging/disengaging which is separate to that. As well, this has occurred in neutral as well where the parking mechanism is completely out of the question.

Oh yeah, thats true. My bad.

You know what, its a weird sound and feeling as it did it again today. I guess this will from now on be a very very annoying occurrence when the engine is cold.

Since it's happening now more often, I've been able to concentrate on the sound when I start the car because I know it will do it always first thing in the morning. And it kind of sounds like the ABS check clunk. I don't really get the clunk any more when driving off, I THINK.

I'm not sure but this is bugging me :(

actually I do wonder if the transmission is still engaged in Neutral then

my driveway is very slightly inclined, higher towards the house

when I get home and wait for the garage door to open I put it into neutral

(car is developing a very soft rattle at idle, coming from a small box on the buttom to the left of the engine...dealer says the noise is the power steering pump working though I didn't confirm we are talking about the same location)

if I then let go of the brakes

the car moves backwards (down the very slight incline) a little and then stops

does it happen for you guys?

if I then let go of the brakes

the car moves backwards (down the very slight incline) a little and then stops

does it happen for you guys?

If you're in neutral, the car should freely move by whatever pushes it or by gravity. So if you were on an incline in neutral, once your car starts rolling, it should keep moving that way. Unless you reach a part where the ground is close to level and it has no momentum to keep it rolling.

That would definitely be classified as a fault.