Corolla Lost it Power

From October 2005 production, all Corolla variants (Hatch, wagon and sedan) will be receiving a minor technical change.

Technical Specifications

Manual Automatic

Max. output kW/rpm 93/6000 93/6000

Max. torque Nm/rpm 161/4200 161/4200

Corolla will upgrade from Euro II emissions compliance to Euro IV compliance.

To meet Euro IV compliance an electronically controlled throttle body and exhaust

manifold has been adopted. The main benefit of the electronically controlled throttle body is the ability to provide optimal control of the throttle valve under all operating conditions.

In addition, the catalyst has been connected directly to the exhaust manifold, resulting in faster heating, thus making the system compliant with Euro IV emissions regulations.

All non-ABS vehicles will also adopt new 15-inch front disc brakes.

how are the cars going to run 15" disc's when they come with 15" rims?  i dont think this will be a big issue, change the exhuast and bob's your uncle

Yeh man, the Stivo's front brakes are 11-12inches in diameter only, what are they on!? :blink: 15inches = 325mm!

Edited by ZEEROLLA

i think 15" brakes to fit 15" rims...

corollas used to have 14" steel rims rite?

There is no way a 15 inch disc will fit a 15 inch wheel.

Prob need at least an 18 inch wheel to fit a 15 inch disk plus calipers, n Rollas arnt gonna get em.

I can't see TMC-A reducing the power of the release vehicle being that all competitors are increasing theirs, unless they reduce the price of the car to compete with the Hyundai Getz...

Bearing in mind too, that this appears to be referring to Hatch/Sedan/Wagon - obviously 1ZZ cars and not 2ZZ models...

It's just like when the holden 202 went from red to blue fitted with emissions and the output went down.

This is only an immediate measure to quickly/easily/cheaply get the motor through Euro IV.

The motor will most likely go through future evolutions resulting in increased power as is always the case.

But isn't the existing cat already connected directly to the manifold/headers ?

Edited by IZZ-FE

From October 2005 production, all Corolla variants (Hatch, wagon and sedan) will be receiving a minor technical change.

Technical Specifications

Manual              Automatic

Max. output kW/rpm  93/6000              93/6000

Max. torque Nm/rpm 161/4200          161/4200

To meet Euro IV compliance an electronically controlled throttle body and exhaust

manifold has been adopted. The main benefit of the electronically controlled throttle body is the ability to provide optimal control of the throttle valve under all operating conditions.

In addition, the catalyst has been connected directly to the exhaust manifold, resulting in faster heating, thus making the system compliant with Euro IV emissions regulations.

Can I ask where this info came from?

It seems strange that Toyota are carrying over the Echo's engines to the Yaris with no power loss, yet the 1ZZ is copping a power drop, even though its a newer design. Surely if the Yaris meets requirements, then the Rolla should too? :huh:

on the subject of the yaris, i noticed that its not on toyotas site yet?

What a difference 12 hours make ... Yaris is on the site now.

It did have its own site, www.yaris.com.au for the pre-release.

It seems strange that Toyota are carrying over the Echo's engines to the Yaris with no power loss, yet the 1ZZ is copping a power drop, even though its a newer design.  Surely if the Yaris meets requirements, then the Rolla should too?  :huh:

I am working for Toyota.. those info are for internal use only. The electronically controlled throttle body are easier for ECU to control the maximum power output and reduce the emissions.

About the 15" disk brake, Yes, Ascent used to be 14" steel while they upgrade to 15" steel but they did no upgrade the brake to fit 15".

It seems strange that Toyota are carrying over the Echo's engines to the Yaris with no power loss, yet the 1ZZ is copping a power drop, even though its a newer design.  Surely if the Yaris meets requirements, then the Rolla should too?  :huh:

I am working for Toyota.. those info are for internal use only. The electronically controlled throttle body are easier for ECU to control the maximum power output and reduce the emissions.

About the 15" disk brake, Yes, Ascent used to be 14" steel while they upgrade to 15" steel but they did no upgrade the brake to fit 15".

thats what im saying :)

so they should have adequate space from the 14" to 15" to upgrade the size of the disc/calipers!

Technical Specifications

Manual              Automatic

Max. output kW/rpm  93/6000              93/6000

Max. torque Nm/rpm 161/4200          161/4200

This is bad.. If I get a new corolla this month.. Do you think I will get the 100kw version or the 93kw?

This is bad.. If I get a new corolla this month.. Do you think I will get the 100kw version or the 93kw?

It is depend which month of production... if the built date is september it is 100kw of power.. if the built date is oct it will be 93kw... it is hard to tell..

The Pressroom on the Toyota website has been updated today with news of Corolla's October sales, but there's no mention about any changes to the Corolla. The rest of the website shows it as still putting out 100kW.

One might suggest that they won't advertise a power loss, but I think that they would prefer to promote the Corolla as being more environmentally friendly, if that is the case, and I don't think they'd take the risk (again) of advertising an incorrect power rating.

While it didn't have a massive effect, Toyota certainly did feel the impact when Sportivo owners complained they were a few kW shy of 141!

The only other thing I can think of is that Toyota are so sure of the Rolla that they're prepared to give the Viva a leg-up! :P

• 4 weeks later...

Well, folks, it looks like the Sportivo is a victim of the emissions laws ... I read in the Drive lift-out (Sydney Morning Herald) this morning that the Stivo doesn't meet the new regs coming in January, so they're being discontinued.

Unfortunately, I left my Drive at work, so I don't have it with me now, but one of the Sydney members will probably have it with the full text.

Perhaps a minute's silence is due for a fallen hero ...

Edited by Buddha

does that mean the sillycar gets chopped too?

The Celica is due to die off soon, anyway, along with the MR2.

As seen in this post:

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...opic=3335&st=50

the demise of the Stivo was actually mentioned some time ago.

Search, damn you, Buddha, SEARCH!!! :angry:

Edited by Buddha

Well, folks, it looks like the Sportivo is a victim of the emissions laws ... I read in the Drive lift-out (Sydney Morning Herald) this morning that the Stivo doesn't meet the new regs coming in January, so they're being discontinued.

Funny that the Compressor DOES meet the new regs.

Here's an interesting article I just Googled:

WebWombat

An excerpt:

"Tougher emissions regulations (Euro IV) that arrive on January 1st 2006 signal the end of the road for production of Toyota's rapid Corolla T Sport model (similar to the 1.8-litre Corolla Sportivo in Australia), but its hot hatch reputation is being kept alight with the introduction of a Corolla that's faster, more powerful and has better handling and more street presence than ever before.

Available only in strictly limited numbers, the Corolla Compressor uses the same 1794cc VVTL-i 4-cylinder engine as the T Sport and the Celica, but with a supercharger added to boost output from 140 to 160kW (189 to 217hp) and technical adjustments to meet Euro IV emissions standards."

Edited by Buddha

So this wont apply to cars built in July 2005?

There's no compliance problems with current Stivo's, its just that the rules are getting stricter in January, and apparently, as the Stivo stands, it doesn't meet those rules, so any Sportivo built after Dec 31 can't be sold in Australia, unless it is modified to suit.

I blame the Govt as much as Toyota ... its stupid to think that a car built on 31 Dec is perfectly fine, but an identical car built on 1 Jan is illegal. They should allow cars currently on the market to remain available as is until they are either updated or run their natural course.