riding low

i am pleased to announce that my ascent is the proud bearer of new springs. actually they aren't new, they are wei wei's old ones... but the kings are on, and it looks so much better than before.

i did the install myself, with alot of sweat and time, but it was fun and worth it. she drives like a dream too, so much less body roll in corners.

if anyone else is considering doing their own install, go to the following link, its a great step-by-step to installing springs (for an american corolla, but they are pretty much the same car)

HOW TO INSTALL SPRINGS

ill put some pics up tomorrow...

you're a champ...

looking at the link its saying:

"Time required: 4-5 Hrs, depending on your tools and if you don't run into problems"

so how long did it take you ?

was this the first time you lowered a car by yourself?

hmm got a day off on friday might get myself some eibach springs and try this.. knowing me i might not , looks a little too technical for me.

cheers for the link anyway, i'll keep it for future reference.

i worked solidly from about 1.30 to 6.00 pm...

it was my first time installing springs.. actually the first time doing anything major to a car. i dont have any special tools, just a set of multigrips, a socket set and a couple of alan keys and it was enough. the only thing i would have preferred is something to get some of those ridiculously tight nuts off. with enough balls and straining they all came off though.

the hatch is slightly different to their description, and you basically have to remove all the carpet and plastic panels from your boot so its just bare chassis and undo the nuts holding the shocks in place.

i drove up the street without replacing the nut that connects the rear shock to the wheel. i got back and saw it on the bench and was like 'oh crap that was lucky'

anyway i would say if i can do this modification, most people can. ive never worked on a car before like that. only ever done stereo installs, and popped my sports grille on.

brave ! .. even with a manual .. i dunno if Id be game enough to start .. coz half way through i'll need to go out and buy some thing .... and that will screw me up ! ...

Hahaha. that happened to me when i had my old ST162 celica. i changed the suspension bushings to whiteline polyurethanes. i had the control arms off before i realised i need either a hydraulic press or a vice to get them out. screwed me up. had to walk up the road to the nearest mehanic to get him to press it out for me.

at least the swaybar bushes went in with a hitch :lol:

• 2 years later...

my rollas sitting same as yours (also on kings, 2'/50mm drop). and ur right, awesome addition, alot more feedback and still relatively comfortable.

u might wanna get ur alignment/balance/rotation checked tho :) it was included as part of the install of my rims so you get a good run from the start. and apparently if you get the car lowered u should get the wheels done (again!) <_< .. [to save hassle i got them both done at the same time] ;)

Edited by Jack_RollaWgn

well, pics as promised. the ride is a little bumpier, but so much tighter in corners. i love walking outside and seeing her sitting so low.

i need wheels next..

KingSprings002.jpg

KingSprings001.jpg

just a suggestion, since your after some wheels in the future, and already have the sport grills ,would you consider painting your steelies with gloss black or gun metal to add to that sleeper feel......it would look more racey....... ;)

jermaine ;)

well, pics as promised. the ride is a little bumpier, but so much tighter in corners. i love walking outside and seeing her sitting so low.

i need wheels next..

just a suggestion, since your after some wheels in the future, and already have the sport grills ,would you consider painting your steelies with gloss black or gun metal to add to that sleeper feel......it would look more racey....... ;)

jermaine ;)

hey jermaine .... that post from tom was over 2.5 yrs ago .... he has since sold the corolla and got a supra which i believe might also now be sold and a jeep is in the driveway i think

cheers

Bill

• 5 years later...

Gday. I know this is a 7 yrs old thread but I'm going to ask any ways. :) I did mine to. Super Low King springs (55m drop). The problem is the rear looks lower than the front. Tyres on the rear is 2 fingers height from the arch, while the front one is about 3 fingers. Any of you had problems with them? Thanks