What Country is the Corolla Made?

Saiya

Hi all,

Im just wondering where abouts the Corolla are made?

I heard somwhere that they are made in South Africa and other places I heard it was Japan.

Does anyone know which one it it?

I always thought it was made in Japan thats why I purchased one because of the Japanese quality.

My Conquest will be coming in at the end of this month but I didnt ask the dealer what country it will be coming from as I assumed it was from Japan. :unsure:

Any help to shed some light into the issue will be greatly appeciated :)

Edited by Saiya

AFAIK the Corolla Sportivo is the only SA built car, the normal levin's I've seen state they're built in Japan on the VIN tag.

All AusDM stivos are SA

for the 1ZZ there is a mix of japan and SA builds. You need to check the VIN for where urs is built

which plant is on the build tag?

I havent got the car yet, expecting it at the end of next month. Fingers crossed that it is a Japan build.

With the normal Corolla models excluding the Sportivo is it a 50/50 Japanese/South Africa build? Or is it a random thing?

which plant is on the build tag?

I havent got the car yet, expecting it at the end of next month. Fingers crossed that it is a Japan build.

With the normal Corolla models excluding the Sportivo is it a 50/50 Japanese/South Africa build? Or is it a random thing?

While most of the parts are made in Japan, Toyota is assembled in scores of coutries.

The origin could be worked out by the first letters of the VIN number:

Africa A - H

AA-AHSouth Africa

AJ-ANIvory Coast

AP-A0not assigned

BA-BEAngola

BF-BKKenya

BL-BRTanzania

BS-B0not assigned

CA-CEBenin

CF-CKMalagasy

CL-CRTunisia

CS-C0not assigned

DA-DEEgypt

DF-DKMorocco

DL-DRZambia

DS-D0not assigned

EA-EEEthiopia

EF-EKMozambique

EL-E0not assigned

FA-FEGhana

FF-FKNigeria

FF-FKMadagascar

FL-F0not assigned

GA-G0not assigned

HA-H0not assigned

Asia J - R

JA-J0Japan

KA-KESri Lanka

KF-KKIsrael

KL-KRKorea (South)

KS-K0not assigned

LA-L0China

MA-MEIndia

MF-MKIndonesia

ML-MRThailand

MS-M0not assigned

NF-NKPakistan

NL-NRTurkey

NS-N0not assigned

PA-PEPhilipines

PF-PKSingapore

PL-PRMalaysia

PS-P0not assigned

RA-REUnited Arab Emirates

RF-RKTaiwan RL-RRVietnam

RS-R0not assigned

Europe S - Z

SA-SMGreat Britain

SN-STGermany

SU-SZPoland

S1-S0not assigned

TA-THSwitzerland

TJ-TPCzechoslovakia

TR-TVHungary

TW-T1Portugal

T2-T0not assigned

UA-UGnot assigned

UH-UMDenmark

UN-UTIreland

UU-UZRomania

U1-U4not assigned

U5-U7Slovakia

U8-U0not assigned

VA-VEAustria

VF-VRFrance

VS-VWSpain

VX-V2Yugoslavia

V3-V5Croatia

V6-V0Estonia

WA-W0Germany

XA-XEBulgaria

XF-XKGreece

XL-XRNetherlands

XS-XWU.S.S.R.

XX-X2Luxembourg

X3-X0Russia

YA-YEBelgium

YF-YKFinland

YL-YRMalta

YS-YWSweden

YX-Y2Norway

Y3-Y5Belarus

Y6-Y0Ukraine

ZA-ZRItaly

ZS-ZWnot assigned

ZX-Z2Slovenia

Z3-Z5Lithuania

Z6-Z0not assigned

North America 1 - 5

1A-10United States

2A-20Canada

3A-3WMexico

3X-37Costa Rica

38-30not assigned

4A-40United States

5A-50United States

Oceania 6 - 7

6A-6WAustralia

6X-60not assigned

7A-7ENew Zealand

7F-70not assigned

South America 8 - 9

8A-8EArgentina

8F-8KChile

8L-8REcuador

8S-8WPeru

8X-82Venezuela

83-80not assigned

9A-9EBrazil

9F-9KColombia

9L-9RParaguay

9S-9WUruguay

9X-92Trinidad & Tobago

93-99Brazil

90not assigned

While most of the parts are made in Japan, Toyota is assembled in scores of coutries.

The origin could be worked out by the first letters of the VIN number:

WOW! Excellent list thanks for that corolla999, really apreciate it :D

Hi all,

I heard somwhere that they are made in South Africa and other places I heard it was Japan.

I always thought it was made in Japan thats why I purchased one because of the Japanese quality.

My Conquest will be coming in at the end of this month but I didnt ask the dealer what country it will be coming from as I assumed it was from Japan. :unsure:

hi most are made in south africa now i have a 2005 mod sth african it will tell you on compliance plate, some say they arnt as good as jap mod i think thats bull !!!!!!

hi most are made in south africa now i have a 2005 mod sth african it will tell you on compliance plate, some say they arnt as good as jap mod i think thats bull !!!!!!

Gday mate.

Yeah hopfully no matter what country it was built in they should still have the Toyota quality. Hopfully :)

Edit: But knowing that it was mode in Japan makes you all warm and fuzzy inside. :D

Edited by Saiya

Hi all,

some say they arnt as good as jap mod i think thats bull !!!!!!

y is that so?

Toyota apply the same manufacturing principles around the world no matter what plant. An example of this a NUMMI in North America where Toyota implemented their work principles into a GM manufacturing plant and the results where enormous. Higher worker morale, more efficient workers and most of all BETTER quality products.

Hey guys just got an email from Toyota.

Dear Mr XXX

Thank you for your email. In reference to your enquiry the Corolla is manufactured in both Japan and South Africa however as of June 2005 all Corolla's for the Australian Market are produced in Japan.

Thank you for contacting the Customer Relations Department

Kind regards

XXX

Sweeeeeet! Looks like Japan it is :D

Toyota apply the same manufacturing principles around the world no matter what plant. An example of this a NUMMI in North America where Toyota implemented their work principles into a GM manufacturing plant and the results where enormous. Higher worker morale, more efficient workers and most of all BETTER quality products.

Alot of members on the forum still maintain the build from SA are rubbish!

Dear Mr XXX

Thank you for your email. In reference to your enquiry the Corolla is manufactured in both Japan and South Africa however as of June 2005 all Corolla's for the Australian Market are produced in Japan.

Kind regards

XXX

Why don'y you reply to custmer relations and advise them to get there act together. I have an August built Sportivo - its is SA - but maybe the Sportivo is not classed as a Corolla!

Toyota Australia get your act together!

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Mr XXX

Kind regards

XXX

Why don'y you reply to custmer relations and advise them to get there act together. I have an August built Sportivo - its is SA - but maybe the Sportivo is not classed as a Corolla!

Toyota Australia get your act together!

All australian delivered corolla sportivo's were built in South Africa.

South African build quality is only bad when comparing to Japanese build quality.

No one can build anything as good as the Japanese, even EURO manufactures. Lexus build quality S&%T's all over Mercedes & BMW which are supposed to be generally the best cars in the world according to Motoring Journo's.

According to JD Power which is massive surveying house in USA Lexus has less warranty claims per owner than any other manufacturer. Some interesting things to note is that Porsche comes in last & Hyundai come in around 5th.

One thing to note is that all Sportivo's came from South Africa right up to & including the very last shipment that arrived in this country on December 2005. There are no Japanese built Sportivo's in this country even one's manufactured after June 2005. This only applies to Sportivo's.

I have owned my Sportivo now for almost 2 years & have had no problem's except for the seat rail coming a little loose, my wife has also owned a Sportivo for 3 years, no problems at all. Before this she had a Japanese Levin, The Sportivo fit & finish is not quite as goods as the Levin but only marginally & this relates to what I said before - NO ONE BUILD GOODS LIKE THE JAPANESE.

I assure you if they were built in Australia they would be worse again, just look at Commodore & Falcon. These car have always been & will always be cars that just fall apart if you look at them to long.