Sudden Dead Battery!!!!

Azza

Whilst driving down the highway this afternoon, coasting along at 100 - 105km/h in 6th gear, I noticed my battery light flash on. Unsure as to what this may be, I kept my eye on it and it didn't turn off.

I had the a/c on low at 24 degrees and the stereo was off. The headlights were on with the fog lamps.

The green illumination around the head unit kept dimming then I lost headlights, although the performance of the car never changed. (At this point I was thinking alternator)...

I pulled over, turned off the A/C but the battery light stayed on.

Then on came the ABS lights.

I turned the head light switch off (as the head lights were not working) and the battery light went off. I also noticed that when I hit the 'down' on the front driver window, it took an unusually long time.

I left the A/C, Stereo and Foggies off and drove home (and by now the head lights were working)...

When I got the car home, I parked it and switched off the ignition then try to restart it and nothing.

Has anybody else had this issue???

I am getting my auto-electrician mate up to look at it first thing in the morning, then I imagine a tow to Toyota, but I thought i'd put the feelers out there to see if anyone else had had this issue WHILE THEY WERE DRIVING....

Cheers

Aaron

had this exact problem with my sportivo (2years ago), except i was far from home at the time and thought I better change the battery, so i changed it at a servo $90 later. A day later my battery went dead again. Took it to toyota and they replaced the alternator. The car was only 8 months old, so i kinda ruled out the alternator being at fault..

Just got home from a very rough morning...

Battery is not dead. A hydrometer test indicates it is perfect. As well as all electricals work fine.

Car is giving me a 'machine gun' when trying to start it, so yeah, I am certain it is battery.

Anyhow, the car is on the back of a tow truck and on it's way to Toyota as we speak, so I will keep everyone updated...

Cheers

Aaron

I'd say alternator, however I've seen similar simptoms on a VT Commodore and $695 later one of the on board computers was replaced.

All indications from my own POV, the over the phone POV of my mauto electrician friend, the 'not seeing it' POV of the dealer and the 'seen it/heard it' POV of the towie indicate possible alternator.

Just glad there is a little thing called warranty. Not glad though that this has happened just 6 days before the wocket's first birthday :(

I'd say alternator, however I've seen similar simptoms on a VT Commodore and $695 later one of the on board computers was replaced.

All indications from my own POV, the over the phone POV of my mauto electrician friend, the 'not seeing it' POV of the dealer and the 'seen it/heard it' POV of the towie indicate possible alternator.

Just glad there is a little thing called warranty. Not glad though that this has happened just 6 days before the wocket's first birthday :(

Its OK Azza, I broke my arm 6 days before my 8th birthday, and I'm 33 now ... the Wed Wocket will be around for a while yet, I'm sure ... :P

Had this problem with my old SX... Driving down George Street in the city, batt light came on and car turned off... Tried to start but nothing... Had to get jumped and drove home with hazards on (was at night time)...

Battery was dead... Got a new one and that was all good and done...

I had the same problem with mine i thought it was a ecu problem turns out the stock panasonic batteries arnt too good and toyota only give a 3month warranty on the batteries :angry: ....got a mate to test the battery it had a damaged cell???!!!dun know how it happened but got a new one all is good!!!!! :lol:

Alright boys, heres the result...

It was the alternator that was dead and Shane & the boys from Sci-Fleet Kedron have ordered a new one, which should arrive either tomorrow or Wednesday.

Cheers

Aaron

Alright boys, heres the result...

It was the alternator that was dead and Shane & the boys from Sci-Fleet Kedron have ordered a new one, which should arrive either tomorrow or Wednesday.

Cheers

Aaron

sounds like this was a direct result of the inferior earthed duck taped sub box burning out the alternator and the unusually bright console lights... :blink: :P

this is my POV :P

sounds like this was a direct result of the inferior earthed duck taped sub box burning out the alternator and the unusually bright console lights... :blink:  :P

this is my POV  :P

Yeah, well your POV stinks cause the sub box was not in the car and you stink......like poo.....

Sorry Azza didn't mean to upset your POV on poopose.... :(

Thats OK,

I'm just glad that there is finally a thread thats talks about POV and not BOV :P

FINAL RESULT

One new alternator later, and the car is back on the road. :D :D :D

BTW - I am also not getting slight power loss on the headlights like I use to...

PART 2

After picking the car up, everything was fine.

DRIVE: Kedron -> Murrumba Downs = Everything OK

DRIVE: Murrumba Downs -> Redcliffe = Everything OK

DRIVE: Redcliffe -> Murrumba Downs = Everything OK

DRIVE: Murrumba Downs -> Herston = Everything OK

DRIVE: Herston -> Murrumba Downs = AARRGGHH!!!!!

Car wouldn't start. Turns out that as a result of the crappy alternator, the battery had intern pooped itself (just took a few k's to do it)

Anyway, the kind folk at Sci-Fleet loaned me a Buddha-Mobile for the night while they ordered me a new battery and I have to pick her up at 7:15 this morning. (Gotta love a Service Department that not only is open until midnight, but also can get parts late at night)

Lucky the car is still less than 12 months old or otherwise the battery wouldn't have been covered, or so the reckon....

Cheers

Aaron

Lucky the car is still less than 12 months old or otherwise the battery wouldn't have been covered, or so the reckon....

That's pretty standard Toyota policy, I think ... I did a battery on my Starlet just past 1 year old. I was told that had it been <12 months, it would be replaced under warranty, but as it was >1 year and <2 years, I had to pay half the cost.

That's pretty standard Toyota policy, I think ... I did a battery on my Starlet just past 1 year old. I was told that had it been <12 months, it would be replaced under warranty, but as it was >1 year and <2 years, I had to pay half the cost.

Yeah but because the battery was murdered as a result of the alternator going kaput, if the battery hadn't have let go until next week, I would have kicked up a stinka...

BTW, did you notice I said they lent me a BUDDHA-MOBILE :P