Whine in Transfer Case - 2011 Kluger

glenshkolar

Hi everyone,

I noticed a whine in the transfer case which started just before 20,000kms...going at speads above 60kms per hour (under power). Some speeds its more noticeable than other times, and the noise has been identified by Toyota as a whine in the Transfer Case, potentially requiringa re-build. Although Toyota are reluctant to actually get on with the work, stalling for months. They are not 100% it will fix the problem so I guess reluctant to spend the money on it.

Is anyone experiencing similar, if not watch out for it and report it immediately to be covered?

• 2 weeks later...
They are not 100% it will fix the problem so I guess reluctant to spend the money on it.

So are they going to wait for a complete breakdown before doing something? The problem can't be left unattended?

You spent > 50k on a grande!

hi guys,

The whine got more and more noticeable after time, and you shouldn't have a noise at 40,000km's...its not a cheap car...you need to report it...get it fixed...the more who report it the more they will take action...apparently some noise dampening technology in the transfer case doesn't always work...whilst there should be normal engine and road noises, anything which becomes noticable and distracting should be taken care of...mine is very loud now.

I would urge anyone who is experiencing even a slight noise to report it immediately to ensure they are covered later in case it gets worse...I replace my vehcile every 3 years and do on average around 100,000kms+ and never had this experience...but this is my first Toyota so maybe it's a Toyota things?!

I have even noticed the noise in one of our fleet fo Klugers in the Dept...and its being monitored.

A Toyota tech is coming tomorrow to test drive it, so I will let you know how Toyota respond to this issue...depending on the outcome it could be my last first and last Toyota...

• 3 weeks later...

Latest update...

Canberra Toyota Fyshwick wiped their hands of the problem, and only after contacting TA was a guy finally organised to come from Terry Sheilds Toyota to review the problem...apparently they are the technical experts in that area and have one of the only facilities around to carry out repairs in that area.

The guy came down (Peter) and came for a drive and said he could hear the noise and said it was relatively normal and that some noise should be expected. He agreed to have the car looked at up in Sydney though because I explained to him the nopise was louder at other times, particularly after driving it for a while. Finally the car was dropped off to Fyshwick last Tuesday and sent to Sydney. Friday I was told they identified the noise was coming from the Diff and have ordered parts (from overseas) fix the issue.

One thing I have to note...TA say you can take you car to any dealership in Australia for servicing or warranty repairs, but Fyshwick (Jo - Manager) wiped his hands of the problem and said it was nothing to do with his dealership. Even when it was finally organised through TA and Fyshwick to send the car to Sydney for repairs, Fyshwick stated the wouldn't provide a loan car as "it's got nothing to do with us". Very poor attitude from this particular dealer...I don;t understand why they think anyone would buy another Toyota when they have to service/repair their car with this experience?! Finally TA orgainsed a car through Fyshwick on my behalf, agreeing to pay for it themselves, and thank go...as I have beenw ithout my car for 1 week and could be for at least another or more...why should I pay for a hire car when a new car is faulty!

I suggest if you suspect an unusual noise to report it early, to ensure it's on record and don't accept 'it's normal'...otherwise you won't get action and it will affect your re-sale value down the track (if not your enjoyment of the vehcile).

Good luck guys!

• 1 month later...

Just saw this topic and had to comment. I have a 2007 KX-R AWD that has just hit 30,000km. Earlier in the year I too noticed a noise coming from the rear diff which seemed to be worse at 60 and 80 km/h. I also thought that maybe it was just a normal sound but it seemed to get worse. DH and I decided to get it looked at so took the car to our dealer. By this stage the car was out of Toyota warranty but still covered by our bonus 1 year dealer warranty.

The dealer also noticed the sound, contacted Toyota and ordered the part which needed to be replaced. This took 2 days but unfortunately did not fix the problem. More parts were ordered from O/S and again my car was in for another 2 days. The second repairs fixed the problem. I didn't encounter any resistance from the dealer and he actually mentioned that this was the 2nd Kluger they had in with this issue but the previous one was fixed with the first repair and did not require the additional part. I unfortnately have no idea what "parts" they replaced but got the impression that Toyota knew exaclty what the issue was and it wasn't a one off. I was also given a loan car free of charge for the duration of the repairs and was told that was standard with all warranty repairs (not sure if that is because I was under the dealer warranty not the Toyota warranty?)

On the downside I did notice extra noise whilst driving today but that is after 2 weeks in a hire car (Commodore) which was much quieter that the Kluger on the road so maybe I just need to get use to driving an AWD again.

Hope all your problems are now sorted. I can't believe Toyota treated you they way they did re loan/hire car. My car now has a "clunk" at times when accelerating, especially if I am slowing down but accelerate again before coming to a complete stop. My car is nearly 4.5 years old but having only done 33,000km I don't expect clunks! No warranty to save me now so not looking forward to this repair.

Hi everyone,

I noticed a whine in the transfer case which started just before 20,000kms...going at speads above 60kms per hour (under power). Some speeds its more noticeable than other times, and the noise has been identified by Toyota as a whine in the Transfer Case, potentially requiringa re-build. Although Toyota are reluctant to actually get on with the work, stalling for months. They are not 100% it will fix the problem so I guess reluctant to spend the money on it.

Is anyone experiencing similar, if not watch out for it and report it immediately to be covered?

I towed once with mine and it did the same thing, they are a rubbish car honestly. I sold it so someone else could have the problems.

• 4 weeks later...

I just recently encountered this problem.

I had been hearing the whining noise for a couple of weeks leading upto my 90k service so I told the dealer that it was happening when you get up over about 70 km/h - I went back that afternoon and typically enough, they said that they "we're not able to replicate it".

They said that if it keeps happening to let them know and I can bring it back and take one of their guys out for a drive to try and hear it. So I took it back about a week or 2 after and turns out that he could hear a noise but he couldn't pin point what it might be and said that he would need to have a look during the day and to come and pick up the car in the afternoon. I had asked him as to whether it could have been the transfer casing after reading about the issues above to which he said that he hadn't heard of any Klugers with this issue, a few RAV4's but not Klugers.

I got a call back in the afternoon and it turns out that there is metal shavings in the oil of the transfer casing and I shouldn't drive it because it will make it worse/break other things. They told me that they would need to order a new transfer casing from Japan which would take anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks to come in! I asked the dealer if they have any loan cars they could loan me - considering how long they will be holding onto my car i figured it would make sense - they said that they don't have loan cars.

In the meantime they have said that they are going to lodge an "out of warranty" claim with Toyota Australia to see if they will give some assistance given that I have serviced the car every 10k, like clockwork, with the same dealer. If not then I will be up for ~$4K for it to be fixed, not to mention monthly payments on a car that I won't have for potentially 6-8weeks.

The dealer that I have taken it to has been really good at keeping me informed over the last couple of days, but the loan car item is really annoying as we had to call around asking family if they had a spare car they could lend us for potentially 2 months. I also tried called Toyota Australia to let them know that they would be a claim being put in, but apparently the warranty department doesn't accept "outside calls" and I would have to leave it to the dealer to work out.

Anyone know of a way to get them to give me a loan car while they have my car?

• 1 month later...

An update...

Toyota Canbverra honestly wiped their hands of the car, saying it's got nothing to do with them...even though Toyota Australia says you can take you car into any dealership for service/repairs etc.

The car was kept for more than 4 weeks and repaired (not told exactly how). The noise was much better for a few weeks but gradually become more noticeable again...given the siugnificant push back from Toyota last time, I'm thinking about getting a solictor and taking this further.

I honestly can't be bothered dealing with this and paying a lease for another 2 years...listeining to this noise and the loss of re-sale value...not good.

I don't think I will even buy a Totoya again, not because the car had an issue...all cars do at some stage...it will be because of the lack of assistance and resolution from Toyota. I seriously don't understand why they spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on advertising, when word of mouth does just as much...and it was proven in am experiement late last year that a family had influenced the thoughts of around 12,000 people when it came to the purchase of goods and services.

It really doesn't take much to address an issue, and iot seems there are some good delaerships out there, Canberra is not one. But Toyota Australia themselves are slow to respond and show a lack of empathy...when it's their product and serviec on display.

All I can say from this experience, unless they tunr around 180 degrees, I will never buy a Toyota again.

Ohh - if you need a loan car and the delarehsip is reluctant to give you one, then you can ask Toyota Australia Customer Care...they can authorise payment for loan cars so the dealership is not out of pocket...other than that you can seek finalical losses form your local Court...if you are out of pocket for 6 weeks then it's worth it.

Best of luck everyone...

All I can say is tell your family, your friends, co-workers and other of your experience...we all have choices for our next new car...will it be Toyota?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Hi everyone,

Got mine checked by toyota and will be scheduled for the fix/repair under warranty. They said it is something related to final drive gear.

Interesting read...

On all working days, I deal with the parts department of Terry Shields and I have got to say, they have the most efficient parts interpreters.

Anyways, wish you guys luck!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

My Kluger went in for the 50K service and check for the whine noise at 60 kph and above. The service manager identified the noise & said he had another 2 klugers like it. Mildura is managed by S.A. ( CMI) are doing nothing about it. Very poor warranty back up by Toyota. The noise only started at 40k, Toyota SA are saying it's just some harmonics in the front differential, nothing to worry about. It looks like I've bought my last Toyota if nothing is done. $56000.00 kluger that has a differential whine and nothing is done.................we'll see.

Hi everyone,

I towed once with mine and it did the same thing, they are a rubbish car honestly. I sold it so someone else could have the problems.

hi everyone

i ve had my kluger a couple of months now and now after reading everybodys posts my stomach sunk.

are klugers a bad car. mine has the clunk in steering and the dash rattle .

is the whine only on the awd models or is it on both models.

my previous car was a prado which didnt have any problems not a rattle or a squeak and not a clunk in the steering and had 200000kms on it and she never let me down once .best car i ever owned wish i still had her.

now im thinking whether buying a kluger was the right thing.

dont get me wrong its great car to drive its comfortable,goes like the clappers and good to drive.

but i dont thinks its as good a car as the prado.

GEEZ I MISS MY PRADO.

THANKS MATE.

mine so far is good no whine . the transmission seems to be running well to.

Mine has just reached 83000kms. I must be luckie i must of got a good one.

apart the clunk in the steeing which is im happy to say is getting fixed under warranty.

Apart from that she running as sweet as a nut.

Hi everyone,

Got mine checked by toyota and will be scheduled for the fix/repair under warranty. They said it is something related to final drive gear.

After the repair under warranty. They replace the final drive gear. As what I understand, it is the last gear that delivers power to the wheels. Whine no more and even made the shifting 1st to 2nd smoother.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all Kluger owners, I had the same problem.I purchased my 2008 KX-S kluger last october and had done 13000kms only.Last week i noticed the noise and noble toyota referred me to Terry Shield Parramatta. They tested the car and found that it was the Pinion ( and what ever relates to it) my car is a front wheel drive. The warranty had expired in January and It done 16000kms now.

I called to find out if toyota will wear the cost as it has not done that many kms and the warranty expired only few weeks ago, until today no response if they will wear the cost.

If I was to pay its gonna cost me around $3500. But the guy from Terry Shields told me that this is a common problem with Toyota Klugers and he's got already 3 of them lined up with the same problem.

So waiting for a response. I will put an update once i get a response.

thats excellent news mick,

Thats good to see toyota came to the party. Hopefully everything goes well for you.

• 5 months later...

Very Very concerning.

I have just posted a similar topic under the topic "Kluger front differential problems" (until David kindly told me about this one),

I have a 2010 KXS AWD Kluger (bought new) that had a whine in the diff (after only 20,000km) when cruising in the range 60km/h-70km/h (no other speeds) and has just been repaired (Got it back 2 days ago) by Toyota under warranty. After questioning they told me they had basically rebuilt the front diff (new pinion, etc).

The service dept refused to give me a loan car, only giving me the option of hiring one (wish I had of read this topic earlier!). It took just under 2 weeks to get repaired at Terry Shields and whilst the problem appears to have been fixed I have only driven it about 20km since I got it back.

I read with dread that the whine problem had returned in some instances. This is also my first Toyota (and first brand new car) so I will seriously consider selling it if ther are many more problems (such as clunky steering, power/acceleration problems, etc that are topics in other threads). Otherwise very happy with the Kluger - just P*^%ed off about the inherent problems and quality of customer service from the service department (all smoke and mirrors).

To date my 2010FWD has not develop this whining issues (knock on wood!) and has done 65,000kms. Hopefully it will not come about otherwise I would not hesistate disposing it! Always a Toyota buyer because of known reliability and quality....