Any GSV40R experts still around? I need help with my car from hell!

BenDavis

Hey guys,

Just wanted to post a quick update for any of you following along at home.

Took my car to my local Toyota dealership to have it diagnosed. Funnily enough, just from listening to the engine the guy from the service dept recommended that I save my money and not even get it diagnosed.
I went ahead and they came back saying I would need to have the 2 VVTi controllers replaced, 2 camshaft gear assemblies and the water pump assembly.
All together parts came to $2,085 and with about 15 hours of labour grand total is $4150.

Also managed to have my dash replaced for free thanks to @mg85 for the advice on that one.

I took the car into a couple of used car dealerships on the rare days that the car was behaving itself and running silently and they both offered $6000, taking into consideration there's a few scratches on the rear bumper and dings around it as well as no service history.

So yeah, not sure what I'm going to do next as I'm planning on studying overseas in a year which would mean any car I had at the time would go unused for a year while I was out of Australia.

Regardless, thanks for all the help from you guys

Edited by BenDavis

Hi Ben. As you will know I am sure you will never recover the cost's you have just paid on your Aurion..You didn't mention if what they did fixed it..?

As you will be oversea's why not have someone you TRUST start and give your car a small run around the block every now and then to keep it active..at least then when home you will have wheels.

Keep Well and safe while away from OZ

KAA

Ben, I am assuming that you have not yet had the latest repairs quoted at $4150 done and the water pump is not leaking.

My advice would be to get rid of this moneypit ASAP.

Downgrade to something cheap and reliable for the next 12 months so you will have more funds available for your overseas studies.

• 6 years later...

I'm new.
Reading through this post, I didn't see anyone recommend ALWAYS using premium oil filters, I do and have never had an issue.

2 days ago I punctured my sump (bottomed out on a country dirt road) and I am here seeking any tips on removing the oil pan. Switched off before oil light came on so I am confident of no damage. 
There seems to be at least 1 nut that is blocked by the chassis rail, and the exhaust needs to come out to access a couple of others

image.thumb.jpeg.d9e970af5ac3e1886e6da98a2f4550e7.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Henstepper said:

Yeah ive had nothing but endless issues with my aurion. Its been a bad experience. Never getting another toyota

Refresh my memory. What are the issues you've had ? Not sure if having issues would prevent me from buying another Toyota. Sometimes issues can exist as a result of someone's misuse, neglect or in rare cases factory defects. I'm not saying you've neglected or abused yours, just generally speaking.

Sometimes there can exist lemon cars and these can be found across the range of makes. Toyota just happens to be in the least percentage.
You should sell that one you have and get yourself a 50 series. You will not regret it my friend.
Toyota did a massive upgrade in the 50 series over and above what the 40 was. No disrespect to those who own a 40 series either. They were a fantastic vehicle when they came out and we just weren't to know of the issues until the service bulletins came out.
Understandably, in any debut model, there will be teething issues that are usually corrected and improved upon in the subsequent generation of cars. Some cars just seem to slip through the cracks unfortunately. However, none that cannot be corrected. You can have a reliable 40 series too.

It's such a damn shame they stopped making the Aurion. I would've loved to have seen a 70 series Aurion (Not Camry). 

I bought my 2009 aurion 2nd hand at 140k from toyota. Had a full log book history. Ive had it for 2 years and so far this is what has been done....

Replaced spark plugs + oil change $700

New battery 

Leaking cv boot $150

Alternator stopped dead was charged $900 for the alternator new belt and labor

Window washer pump went $140

The door open sensor is playing up getting that fixed tomorrow

The transmission is slipping now

There is a misfire throwing no codes so im guessing either coils or injectors

There is also a squeel noise coming from the engine bay no doubt a pulley ot water pump on the way out 

New struts

And not to mention its an absolute gas guzzler

The list goes on

Edited by Henstepper

^ some of that is just plain day to day wear & tear/serviceable items, others like tranny pre neglect.

My car is currently in the panel shop for a slight cosmetic mishap & they're taking their bloody time to fix it too. They've given me a new CX-3 to drive & as much as I like parts of it, there's so much more that I don't. The CX-3 is a harsh noisy little shiit - somewhere between a lawn mower & a cement mixer, efficient but lacking in so many departments. My Aurion is like a limo in comparison & I can't wait to get my car back 😐

Oh & no constant direct injection servicing to worry about 😉

ps: I'll be doing my spark plugs soon as per AMD's method, ie: cowl out & new plenum & intake gaskets using factory Iridium Denso plugs for a grand total under $115 !

Edited by ZZT86
plugs
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Henstepper said:

I bought my 2009 aurion 2nd hand at 140k from toyota. Had a full log book history. Ive had it for 2 years and so far this is what has been done....

Replaced spark plugs + oil change $700

New battery 

Leaking cv boot $150

Alternator stopped dead was charged $900 for the alternator new belt and labor

Window washer pump went $140

The door open sensor is playing up getting that fixed tomorrow

The transmission is slipping now

There is a misfire throwing no codes so im guessing either coils or injectors

There is also a squeel noise coming from the engine bay no doubt a pulley ot water pump on the way out 

New struts

And not to mention its an absolute gas guzzler

The list goes on

I think you're being a bit pedantic my friend. At some point, parts will require replacement. Sometimes sooner than later. it's just luck of the draw.

All those bits you mentioned are pretty much service items anyway and you don't have to have it done at Toyota and pay extortionate prices either. If you are handy and have some tools, a DIY approach can save you plenty $$$. 
Youtube is your best friend too. I always watch a few videos before carrying out work on my own vehicles. I won't pay for it when I can do it myself.

The transmission could be due for a service if it's slipping. Have you checked underneath to see if it's leaking ? It's probably low on fluid or it's probably been abused prior to your tenure. The fluid could be burnt. This can explain your poor mileage. Expect around 10-12 lt per 100 kays around town anyway. That's still ok in my book. If your doing 15 per 100, then that's not right.

The Misfire could be a dodgy coil. Have them inspect each one for cracks. It's possible one or more could be cheap Chinese crap. If it has a small crack in the side, it will ground to the engine causing the misfire. I also like to smear a little dielectric grease on all electrical components for better conductivity and prevention of corrosion. That's just me... I'm fussy.
If you can't afford the new Genuine parts, you can always source good second hand parts from a wrecker. Get parts from a low mileage vehicle. This is an option if money is tight. 

If you can't DIY, then try find yourself a competent mechanic and try and source Genuine parts online. I always scour the internet sites and purchase Genuine Original Toyota parts way cheaper than the Stealership.
I'm sure you'll get it sorted soon. Believe me, our Aurions are way better cars than the junk they're churning out now. I plan to keep mine forever.

All the best and take it easy :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

My car is currently in the panel shop for a slight cosmetic mishap & they're taking their bloody time to fix it too. They've given me a new CX-3 to drive & as much as I like parts of it, there's so much more that I don't. The CX-3 is a harsh noisy little shiit - somewhere between a lawn mower & a cement mixer, efficient but lacking in so many departments. My Aurion is like a limo in comparison & I can't wait to get my car back 😐

Sorry to hear about the mishap. Hope they do a good job for you mate.
Not having the Aurion and having to drive a sub standard car in the interim makes us appreciate what we have. I believe you when you say the CX-3 is shiit. There are many like it too.
I'll stick to my Aurion thank you very much.

8 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

ps: I'll be doing my spark plugs soon as per AMD's method, ie: cowl out & new plenum & intake gaskets using factory Iridium Denso plugs for a grand total under $115 !

Where are you getting all this for under $115 ?? Can you link us ?

• Like 2

^^ Yep I will when I get home tonight, Denso plugs from Amazon $76.26 for 6 & genuine gaskets from Amayama for just under $37.

ps: car's fine & panel shop already knows how fussy I am 😉

Edited by ZZT86
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, ZZT86 said:

Denso plugs from Amazon $76.26

Be careful on Amazon because there are plenty of counterfeit so called "Genuine" parts.

I'll wait for your link anyway and take a look.

Cheers mate :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Plugs appear genuine to me, shipped direct to me from Denso in Croydon, have the laser delivery dockets to prove. I ended getting 2 packs of 4 as pictured which I purchased as 2 separate transactions as qty restrictions in place. Prices fluctuate slightly as was on special recently. All parts made in Japan, gaskets shipped direct from Japan.

Denso plugs - https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B002FOF1QW?ref_=pe_19115062_429603572_302_E_DDE_dt_1

Throttle Body gasket - https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/2227131040

Plenum to Intake gaskets - https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/1717631090

IMG_20230815_191645_MR.jpg

IMG_20230815_191715_MR.jpg

Edited by ZZT86
qty detail
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

I ended getting 2 packs of 4 as pictured which I purchased as 2 separate transactions as qty restrictions in place.

Thanks for that but it appears that the listing is for a singular plug ??  How did you get a 4 pack ??

The quantity to add to cart only allows a max of 5 pieces. Huh ??

Exactly what I thought initially. I'm new to Amazon & when I spoke to them about it they said they had to instill quantity purchase restrictions because of popularity. These come individually or in packs of 4 so what I did was placed 2 orders 1 week apart for 4 & that's what I got.

The restrictions are fine if you have a 4 or 5 cylinder car but not for 6 & beyond. Still I'm grateful with the outcome as it wasn't as pricey as it could have been.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ZZT86 said:

Exactly what I thought initially. I'm new to Amazon & when I spoke to them about it they said they had to instill quantity purchase restrictions because of popularity. These come individually or in packs of 4 so what I did was placed 2 orders 1 week apart for 4 & that's what I got.

The restrictions are fine if you have a 4 or 5 cylinder car but not for 6 & beyond. Still I'm grateful with the outcome as it wasn't as pricey as it could have been.

Ah ok. So order 4 "individual plugs and they come as a 4 pack. Roger that.

The idiots should know that the plug in question suits a V6 engine so it would be a no brainer to put the  purchase limit to 6, not 5.  Let us just buy one pack of 6 for the V6.

Amazon can be a fickle platform. I've been navigating it for a few years now. It used to be much cheaper than before when I cast my eyes back on past orders, some items are double or even triple in price now. Another thing you need to be aware of is that Amazon tinkers with the price fluctuations, not the seller. So when you see an item that has increased by 20, 30 %, that's Bezos helping himself to your wallet, not the seller. He treats it like the stock exchange. So greedy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@DuncDad Had a quick look, appears exhaust needs to be loosened right off as well as a splash shield to allow the sump to come out. I don't envy you though if you have to use sealer 😐

Highly recommend changing the oil filter before filling her up. Nasty damage that. Careful with the sealer, you don't want any excess breaking off clogging up the 2GR arteries.

Edited by ZZT86

9 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

Yeah, after all Bezos needs the moula to fly to the moon & back whilst destroying our atmosphere . . . . 🙄

Haha yeah, and recoup the 500, 000,000 he had to give his ex wife. A certain part of the female anatomy is quite the liability it seems :ohmy:

7 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

Had a quick look, appears exhaust needs to be loosened right off as well as a splash shield to allow the sump to come out. I don't envy you though if you have to use sealer 😐

I suspected as much. If I recall, the frontal exhaust pipe runs across the pan. You can always loosens the engine mounts/dampers and jack lift the engine for more clearance.

Whilst your in there, you could also take the opportunity to inspect the oil pick up screen and clean it if necessary..

I'm planning to replace my sump eventually as it has been whacked slightly by the previous owner and it's always bugged me when I do oil changes.

I have an order ready to go with Amayama (better value than Partsouq), including those bits you mentioned to for the spark plug job.

I'll share my bounty when it's all safe in my hands. Not going to be cheap, but I will explain everything when possible. In a nut shell, wifey has damaged a few bits and pieces, and it doesn't sit well with me to leave those parts as they are, so out they and in with new Genuine parts.