CES Feedback

I've purchased the CES exhaust from E-gene..

So far i've got a bad vibration from under and another weird sound from the muffler hitting onto something.

Gain in power i havent felt anything different... im gonna try give the ecu a reset tomz.

So how do i go about fixing the vibration CES owners?

thought it was 100% made for corolla!! :(

Edit:

Outcome on page 2.

Edited by gOODbOYz

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it'll be banging against then heat shield, usually at the bend just past the middle resonator.

Choices are:

1. bash the heat shield with a hammer to move it out of the way

2. reset the rubber mounts and secure in place with O-clamps so the exhaust doesn't move around.

ok guys goodboyz is simply after rectification of fixing a few issues ...... if this turns into another CES vs everyone else thread ..... bewarned

Now to the issue @ hand

So far i've got a bad vibration from under

ok do u knw exactly where its hitting ? is it the little metal bracket just after the resonator ? or is it heat shielding ? under wat conditions ? driving around ? etc any more info would be good ..... as i used 2 have mine hitting something if i took sharp right hand corners at speed but other than that it was fine.

and another weird sound from the muffler hitting onto something.

again try and work out where its hitting as u should atleast c marks on the muffler or on the car where its hitting and maybe give us some pics ..... i dont know of anyone else in aus that had any of these issues .....

everyone elses (even those outside of QLD) had theirs fitted and it worked fine.

Gain in power i havent felt anything different... im gonna try give the ecu a reset tomz.

Give that a try and once again everyone thats owned one says there is definietly more grunt ..... funny though lucio said the same thing as well ..... ur exhaust shops doing the fitting down there ur sure they aint doin anything funny ;) ;) ;) .... nah but seriously give the ecu a reset and drive it like u stole it for a while n c how it goes.

Johnny,

I recently too have purchased a CES exhaust.

to be completely honest, i fckin hate the rattle. when u are in lift on a slight bend, or turning hard right at any speed it rubs on something and u can feel it in the cabin. Now while the exhaust is extremely well made, it doesnt fit 100% correctly. most exhausts wont. I havent had a chance to look underneath and find exactly where it is hitting, or try to find a way to solve the problem, so i cant help there just yet. i might try to have a look for tomorrow.

As for the product itself, the exhaust note is gorgeous, but i agree with you on your comment about the power. down low, there is a fair amount of extra power before lift, but up high i would say its negligable. CAI does much more up high in my opinion. but the car is certainly more drivable down low, which is extremely helpful. and the note is perfect, sounds tough on idle but doesnt intrude whilst driving.

Aside from that, i dunno what you paid but i would assume it was similar to what i paid so i reckon you got a good deal ;)

I know Dylan had a somewhat solution to the rattle, maybe you could take some pics Dyl??? i tried the o clamp thing which worked to some extent.

as the stock exhaust mounts are weak you pack them with bit of what ever you like and cable tie them up. One thing that lucio seemed to forget to tell everyone that at the same time when he fitted his exhaust he put on that POS apexi intake and that was what killed his car.....

So far i've got a bad vibration from under and another weird sound from the muffler hitting onto something.

So how do i go about fixing the vibration CES owners?

thought it was 100% made for corolla!! :(

Well I purchased Mario's old catback exhuast, its 2.5 inch madrel bend. Power wise I didnt feel any difference at first, but after driving a week the car does feel alot stronger. Down low 0-3000rpm maybe some power loss not 100% sure, but 3000-6000rpm the car feels alot stronger and keeps pulling where as stock the power delivery in that zone felt linear. 6000rpm onwards the car surges forward and the revs climb alot quicker then before.

Thanx for the feedback guys!!

the rattle is right under my seat .. it taps every 2-5 seconds on idle ... the rear rattle looks like the muffler is wobbling coz of the rubber brackets holding it..

i bought it straight back to the place that installed it after 5 mins of driving.. told one guy.. he said they r closing come bak tomz.. den his mate came out n said thats the way the exhaust is, they didnt do anything.. it was a straight swop over! :angry:

i would take photos .. but the cars too low .. had problems getting up on the hoist.. :(

OK, I will tell you the history with my CES...

After I got mine, progressivley I started getting a really really bad rattle that neither myself, SILVABULLIT, Northy, or JC could find.

Eventually we isolated it to being a problem INSIDE the resonator. Took it back to Trev (CES) as none of us had ever seen a faulty resonator like this, and neither had Trev.

He ordered me a new one, was fitted on Monday (just gone) and when we looked inside, you could see slightly where the perf was busted inside. again, not something that normally happens.

Off I go with my new res, happy as larry, however I was also getting the knocking sound.

HOW TO FIX IT:

SILVABULLIT and I did this last night. Where it was hitting was in 2 places. The bend over the rear axle and the tip on the rear bumper. All we didd was pull the muffler down, put a nut in each of the rubber mounts and ziptied them so they don't contract and the nuts fall out.

Problem solvered....

BIG THUMBS UP TO TREV & THE CES BOYS FOR SLOTTING ME IN TO THEIR BOOKED OUT SCHEDULE....

OK, I will tell you the history with my CES...

After I got mine, progressivley I started getting a really really bad rattle that neither myself, SILVABULLIT, Northy, or JC could find.

Eventually we isolated it to being a problem INSIDE the resonator. Took it back to Trev (CES) as none of us had ever seen a faulty resonator like this, and neither had Trev.

He ordered me a new one, was fitted on Monday (just gone) and when we looked inside, you could see slightly where the perf was busted inside. again, not something that normally happens.

Off I go with my new res, happy as larry, however I was also getting the knocking sound.

HOW TO FIX IT:

SILVABULLIT and I did this last night. Where it was hitting was in 2 places. The bend over the rear axle and the tip on the rear bumper. All we didd was pull the muffler down, put a nut in each of the rubber mounts and ziptied them so they don't contract and the nuts fall out.

Problem solvered....

BIG THUMBS UP TO TREV & THE CES BOYS FOR SLOTTING ME IN TO THEIR BOOKED OUT SCHEDULE....

hey azza!! thanx for the solution ..

any chance u can take pix ???

so its the rubber mount and heat shield i need to fix? i cant get under the car !! :( <_<

Because of the design of the standard system and the mounts it does allow the exhaust to move around a lot. From the spring loaded composite gasket at the base of the headers right through all the rubber mounts to the back they are very soft and designed to absorb all vibration and allow movement. Going to the CES system with the bigger diameter pipe as well as the larger resonator it does cause clearance to be reduced. It takes a little bit of adjustment to get the system to sit right but once that's done it's all good. Before you start get the system centralised on all mounts

Firstly the figure 8 style rubber mounts need something packed into the 2 holes between the mount and the system. I have cut pieces of conveyor belt to fit into mine to stop movement in the mount itself. You could use whatever you want so long as it's not affected by heat. After you have done that get some large zip ties that are wide and place them around the rubber mount. If you are looking at the mount place the zip tie around the mount from the mount on the body to the system. Pull the zip tie up tightly to reduce the movement in the rubber and it also locks the spacers you place in the mounts up tight as well. This will reduce the movement in the system a lot.

The hitting of the heat shield you will need to clearance the heat shield from the system using a flat punch and hammer(one of Northy's favourite weapons of choice!!) Once you have done that you then need to ensure that the system cannot move or slide on the rear mounts(front and back of the rear muffler) this is done by placing a zip tie on the mount itslef to stop the rubber from sliding on the mount. Once you have done all this all your problems should be solved unless whoever fitted your system hasn't welded the system on straight. (that could cause you another headache!!)

Hope this helps!! If not PM me or Northy and we'll see what we can do:)

Cheers silver..!!

i think i might bring it back to the shop .. but that wont be till tuesday as us melbourners have the easter long weekend :( ...

so heat shield has to be bashed and the rubber mounts have to be tightened from movement.. got cha!

as the stock exhaust mounts are weak you pack them with bit of what ever you like and cable tie them up. One thing that lucio seemed to forget to tell everyone that at the same time when he fitted his exhaust he put on that POS apexi intake and that was what killed his car.....

It wasn't Apexi. The Apexi SRI is a great product.

I think once you secure the rubber mounts as above it should stop any banging and knocking around.

Good work everyone coming up with a solution :clap:

Luckily, where the zip ties are, they aren't affected by the heat at all. Should they be affected later down the track, then a few minutes and a couple of dollars to replace them shouldn't be an issue....

It would seem that except for Azza the systems weren't fitted by CES...

I had a CES on my Sportivo and it was great the mid range improvement was the best part of the system. I am 100% sure of the improvement because Azza got my CES system and I got his factory system and the mid range power was down as soon as the factory system went on.

You cant blame a product for problems if it is badly fitted.

I had a CES on my Sportivo and it was great the mid range improvement was the best part of the system. I am 100% sure of the improvement because Azza got my CES system and I got his factory system and the mid range power was down as soon as the factory system went on.

thats a massive generalisation.

Fitting an exhaust is not a hard thing to do. thats not the problem. the problem is that the exhaust is too big for the space that toyota made for the exhaust. it was designed for the standard exhaust, not a CES exhaust.

I can honestly say that i think the exhaust is awesome, but i cant say its perfect. everything has its faults.

thats a massive generalisation.

Fitting an exhaust is not a hard thing to do. thats not the problem. the problem is that the exhaust is too big for the space that toyota made for the exhaust. it was designed for the standard exhaust, not a CES exhaust.

I can honestly say that i think the exhaust is awesome, but i cant say its perfect. everything has its faults.

Its not a generalisation its based on the evidence in the thread. The guys having problems are not in Queensland. I will stand corrected if they drove up here and had it fitted. But it looks to be mainly fitting issues these guys have had. Azza had an internal failure which seems to be different to the other problems.

When the system was on my car I didnt see any space issues.

The only issue I had with my CES system was the family didnt like the noise level. I loved it around town but on a highway trip it was a bit noisy for extended traveling.

My XR6 Turbo wont be getting a CES system not because I dont like the quality but because the thing is fast enough as it is.

Back to the issue at hand, take away the internal issue I had, my banging that what'shisname had, can be fixed by the photo I uploaded earlier....

Cheers

Aaron

why not just get some heavy duty hangers? They look a lot better than a ziptied rubber mount. Kartboy sell them.

Got a link or a phone number.... We have been looking for a mopre heavier duty hanger...