Replace air filter

I know this is covered .. but i am looking to change air filter from crappy toyota paper one which i been told is $75 from toyota ... anyone put a standard k&n air filter in ... not POD ??? or just left factory setup

i got k&n panel filter as direct replacement for the stock filter.

i dont have a 2zz and rarely rev upto 5k-6k so i wouldnt notice any difference in performance 1 way or another.

mostly have it coz i can clean it and reuse.

not sure how much you can buy them for because i got mine for FREEEEEEEEE!!!!

but yea get em at supercheap or autobarn...

Edited by JJCRU23R

Believe it or not, most of the restriction in the intake system is the actual design of the intake itself. The filter poses no great restriction whatsoever, but you get a nice induction noise if you do go aftermarket.

yes .. got k&N on my 1995 sss Bluebird .. but someone told me they are no good for zze122 rolla's

that really makes no sense...

y would the same kind of filter be good for a bluebird and bad for a rolla?

i may not see or feel much difference from the stock filter, but as suprathai said... you can really hear the intake sucking.. whereas i never noticed that with the stocky.

If you haven't already, remove the stock intake snorkel.....gives your car a nice induction sound for about 10mins worth of work. But if you would like a CAI with a K&N extreme pod filter sings whereas APEXI power intake sceams at you!!!

If you haven't already, remove the stock intake snorkel.....gives your car a nice induction sound for about 10mins worth of work. But if you would like a CAI with a K&N extreme pod filter sings whereas APEXI power intake sceams at you!!!

Induction noise hey ;) Is that for Pre or Facelifted versions?

To the OP ive had a Knn filter in my Rolla for a while now. I don't notice any performance increase however it does seem to have a little more zip when flooring the accelerator, it goes much more freely to 6K than it did with the stock filter.

With the filter wrecking the sensor, I like to know the explanation from Toyota why they think it would wreck it.

I agree - rip that snorkel off! I found the stock Stivo really difficult to drive smoothly at low RPM's around town - removed the snorkel and heaps better - smooth down low, roars up high. I added a DIY cold air feed up from the foggies (which I cut the plastic away from) and again improvements particularly at highway speeds - added a K&N panel filter and slight improvements in both response and sound across the range.

It depends on if you want to keep it stock and leave the intake plumbing in place. (You can still leave the snorkel in place - just disconnect it from the air box and move it to the side - this way it can be popped back if need be) otherwise you will only get small gains from the K&N filter as it is not the most restrictive part of the system. Remember Toyota used this design to reduce induction noise and keep production cost low, not for all out performance. If I were you I would still go the K&N regardless. As for damaging the sensors through increased air flow - I don't buy that as a) you are not talking forced induction (turbo or s/charger) so increase in flow is not considerable and B) it is assuming that the sensor is operating at the limits of its manufacturing tolerances - which Toyota wouldn't do.

Just remember to reset the ECU afterwards to allow the car to adjust to the new airflow.

With them referring to the fact that it can damage sensors, to a certain degree they are correct.

Because K&N are oiled filters, small particles from the filter can go into the intake path clinging itself to the MAF sensor. That produces inaccurate reading, but its nothing a $10 bottle of electronic cleaning agent can't repair.

how do i remove the snorkel, a member showed me b4, but i forgot how, do i just remove the soft pipe, or remove the soft pipe and also the hard 'box' as well???

sorry to hijack your thread dude

Firstly it is easier if you remove the battery first. the Snorkel is attached in three places where it connects into the airbox itself, and also by two screws/bolts. Start by removing the two screws/bolts that attach it to the chassis. To remove it from the airbox - open up the airbox by releasing the spring clips and remove the air filter. You will now see the snorkel - you should be able to see the plastic lugs that hold it in - squeeze the sides of the snorkel in and push it out - it comes free without too much effort. Then it is a matter of massaging the whole snaking intake runner free - from memory pull it forward towards the front of the car. As I mentioned in the previous tread if you want to leave the snorkel there - just disconnect it from the airbox - make sure you push it clear so as not to obstruct the airbox opening (that way you can just push it back to return it to stock). sorry I don't have pic's but it is really simple when you have the car in front of you and you don't have to be mechanically minded to do it. I have done a few so PM me if you want help

how do i remove the snorkel, a member showed me b4, but i forgot how, do i just remove the soft pipe, or remove the soft pipe and also the hard 'box' as well???

sorry to hijack your thread dude

Firstly it is easier if you remove the battery first. the Snorkel is attached in three places where it connects into the airbox itself, and also by two screws/bolts. Start by removing the two screws/bolts that attach it to the chassis. To remove it from the airbox - open up the airbox by releasing the spring clips and remove the air filter. You will now see the snorkel - you should be able to see the plastic lugs that hold it in - squeeze the sides of the snorkel in and push it out - it comes free without too much effort. Then it is a matter of massaging the whole snaking intake runner free - from memory pull it forward towards the front of the car. As I mentioned in the previous tread if you want to leave the snorkel there - just disconnect it from the airbox - make sure you push it clear so as not to obstruct the airbox opening (that way you can just push it back to return it to stock). sorry I don't have pic's but it is really simple when you have the car in front of you and you don't have to be mechanically minded to do it. I have done a few so PM me if you want help

Or if you have a 1ZZ just remove the intake resonator (the white box), this alone increases power and response slightly as it removes the bottleneck as well as allowing cool air from where the foggies are to enter the intake ;)

Guest JDM y0 !

WHAT IS A FILTER ?? :P lol i got a stocking that stops stuff getting in my engine... thats all :o lol, not good .... but the sound is :o ^_^

hey

i just remove my snorkel off the air box seem to run abit better and i can it it sucking in the air now.

i was also wondering what is that white bottle thing what the snorkel was connected to?

is there anything else i should try and do?

i should get my k&n box filter tomorrow only pay $89 including postage

any idea's how i could get the cold air to run up to the box wityh out having to connect the snorkel up?

thanks

Brendan

Do a search for DIY intake and look for names like Just, IZZ-FE and Rollamods as well as yours truly :)

Of all things i found out by searching USA .. you can get ducting from airconditioner/heater shops in lengths and diameter and brackets to hold it in ...____ Heat proof / Fire proof // desgined to keep air cool

and pretty cheap aswell gunna get a price tomorrow

If you're putting a replacement filter into your stock airbox, there really wont be much difference between all the better brands, just pick the one that you like and suits your budget.

If you're putting a replacement filter into your stock airbox, there really wont be much difference between all the better brands, just pick the one that you like and suits your budget.

Then remove the snorkel, drill some holes down the bottom of your intake box -- purchase that panel filter that is in your budget (K&N, TOMs, etc) then run a DIY pipe down towards the foglight inlet...put ur name on the Purcell Performance Cavity Inlet and feel the POWER!! :clap:

El Cheapo Styles FTW!! :P

Hi all,

Does any1 here know the difference of performance between K&N and TRD air filter? :unsure: Does the TRD one work any better?

Sheldon! Long time no see

Hi buddy! How have you been? I missed the last a few meetings since I was very very busy. But I am still modifying my little beast! :whistling:

Then remove the snorkel, drill some holes down the bottom of your intake box -- purchase that panel filter that is in your budget (K&N, TOMs, etc) then run a DIY pipe down towards the foglight inlet...put ur name on the Purcell Performance Cavity Inlet and feel the POWER!! :clap:

El Cheapo Styles FTW!! :P

Just wonder after remove it, will hot air and water get in to the air box? when heavy rain, around the fuse box is a bit wet...