CAI's, do they suck in water?

shmicko

Hi, I installed an AEM CAI in my 1zz-fe. I'm getting worried it might suck in water, what's the chances of water getting trapped in the area where the pod is located? It looks to be safe, but does the mud guard lining stop water from getting in?

How much water can the pod suck in to start causing damage to the engine?

As stated earlier, you only have to be concerned if you're caught in a flash flood. Driving in rain / normal puddles etc wont be a problem.

If you're still not confident, AEM sell a bypass valve for their CAI's which does not allow the engine to hydrolock if the CAI does suck in Water.

We had some freakish storms and giant floods around here on new years and some crazy-@ss storm cell smash through the whole city not long ago, crippling the CBD, main roads, a major mall and my uni for 3 days... CAI is fine B)

as long as you have those plastic covers on the underside of your car, you'll be right as rain (excuse the pun)...

i had a mate with a CAI in his mirage, and he had no covers at the bottom... through a big storm all the water flicking off the road made water go straight up the CAI and boom. engine locked up and he threw a rod...

Dont worry about it!!!!!!!!!!!!! It should be fine, just dont drive into a lake.

And even if you do you still have time to cut the engine off before the water will make its way through the plennum and into you engine... I have already proved this :lol::lol::lol:

Dont worry about it!!!!!!!!!!!!! It should be fine, just dont drive into a lake.

And even if you do you still have time to cut the engine off before the water will make its way through the plennum and into you engine... I have already proved this :lol::lol::lol:

Stupid torque oversteer :angry:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

not so sure on a corolla, but a mate of mine managed to suck enough water up through his CAI to seize his FTO engine and throw a rod...

moral of that story, is to always keep the plastic protector thingos on under the car... and you shouldnt have a problem with water...

• 2 weeks later...
not so sure on a corolla, but a mate of mine managed to suck enough water up through his CAI to seize his FTO engine and throw a rod...

moral of that story, is to always keep the plastic protector thingos on under the car... and you shouldnt have a problem with water...

Don't drive in rivers, dams or other large bodies of water and you'll be right. :P Had a CAI on my car for about 3 years and been in heaps of storms and no troubles.

• 4 weeks later...

Stupid torque oversteer :angry:

what the hell is torque oversteer??? i hope u mean back off oversteer - torque steer is something different

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Anybody ever experienced a frozen pod filter? I was told that it could occur overnight or as a result of wind-chill in the arctic Canberra weather :toast:

Only if you have a TRD optioned water cooled pod. :whistling:

Anybody ever experienced a frozen pod filter? I was told that it could occur overnight or as a result of wind-chill in the arctic Canberra weather :toast:

Only if you have a TRD optioned water cooled pod. :whistling:

haha funny Silva, but actually he is quite serious, it does happen.

I would assume its not good for the car...

• 3 years later...

Ok, so i know this is reviving a VERY old topic,

but last night on the way home from Brisbane, i was hit with a torrential downpour of rain, and had to slow down on the highway since visability was 0 none.

Now as i was driving along, i 'think' (not sure) that i must have hit a massive puddle along the highway, and what happened was everything in the car (engine, headlights dash, stereo, EVERYTHING) switched off for half a second before coming back on, now i was sitting at around 80-90km/hr when this happened, but what i need to know is, was this a brief stint with hydrolock?

Or is this something more serious? car is extremely well looked after (despite being boosted), and it really had me worried.

Evo

Ok, so i know this is reviving a VERY old topic,

but last night on the way home from Brisbane, i was hit with a torrential downpour of rain, and had to slow down on the highway since visability was 0 none.

Now as i was driving along, i 'think' (not sure) that i must have hit a massive puddle along the highway, and what happened was everything in the car (engine, headlights dash, stereo, EVERYTHING) switched off for half a second before coming back on, now i was sitting at around 80-90km/hr when this happened, but what i need to know is, was this a brief stint with hydrolock?

Or is this something more serious? car is extremely well looked after (despite being boosted), and it really had me worried.

Evo

if your car had hydrolocked at that speed, you probably would have had to push it home...

although, take a look at the wiki article on it here ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrolock ) it might pay to check your car out...

Thanks mick,

good info there, but yes, if it 'did' hydrolock (thank goodness it didn't) then i would've needed a tow.

just checked the car out now, and there isn't any unusual noises coming from the combustion chamber, idles without any problems, starts up fine, as if nothing happened.

so what has caused the above? perhaps a short circuit somewhere?

keep in mind that i do have a scoop so this may have caused a malfunction somwhere...

Evo