Why a force fed 2zz withstands more than a force fed 1zz

Stock 2zz rod & piston on the left

Crower 2zz rod & wiseco piston in the middle

Stock 1zz rod & piston on the right

I'll let the pictures do the talking (curtosey of a friend in the US)

rods_compared1.jpg

rods_compared2.jpg

rods_compared3.jpg

Stock rods are quite beefy items.........

BTW would a boosted 2zzge on approx 6psi worth of boost be ok without reinforcing the bottom end??

it all depends on how aggressive the tuner works on the tune .... not really how much boost ur running (well eventually it does get about this but not @ such low boost) ..... MWR is running 16psi through their stock 2zz but bear in mind they are a shop and they have changed that engine a few times ...... now all the "stage 1" kits seem to run the setup @ 8psi so i cant see it being a bad thing ...... again its all about the tune ...... and getting the necessary petrol into it ..... from what im seeing over in the US the way 2 go is starting to be leave the rods and everything else alone but get the mahle pistons as they are coated so they work perfectly on the MMC block which the 2zz has .... otherwise if ur gonna run wiseco's ull need 2 get it sleeved also

Is MWR a workshop in australia or over in the states?. Sorry excuse my lack of knowledge for Toyota aftermarket performance workshops. Is it still possible to buy the TRD supercharger kit new or did they stop production ?

I was thinking about bolting a turbo on, my friend is in the process of bolting one on to his mr2 (4agze).........and after looking around my engine bay he said it can be done.......but might run into a few unknown things.

I would be happy if I could get 150kw at the wheels..............but man.......slapping a turbo onto a car is not as easy as it would seem........Still don't know whether I should be chasing power down the N/A route or go FI.......

If the guys over 9th gen can get turbo's running on their rollas why can't we do it as well??? Lack of inspiration???????

I was thinking about bolting a turbo on, my friend is in the process of bolting one on to his mr2 (4agze).........and after looking around my engine bay he said it can be done.......but might run into a few unknown things.

I would be happy if I could get 150kw at the wheels..............but man.......slapping a turbo onto a car is not as easy as it would seem........Still don't know whether I should be chasing power down the N/A route or go FI.......

If the guys over 9th gen can get turbo's running on their rollas why can't we do it as well??? Lack of inspiration???????

Hey we got 1 :P :P :P :P and i know of a few in the process ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

The major reason simply comes down to RHD vs LHD ...... it makes things such a pain in the A.5.5 that u simply cant "bolt" everything on without major custom work ...... DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT BUYING ANY PARTS FROM THE KITS SOLD OVERSEAS ...... from memory on about 7psi u should see that sort of power ......

you can get 150kW at the wheel without going turbo as well...

true ..... stroker + cams + ecu ..... however i imagine the turbo would have more torque.

150kw atw without going n/a would work too.........only downside is daily commuting..........which is why i'm after torque.......

Sportivo is fine by yourself......but once you add a few passengers it feels slower then the 1zzfe :(

I'm looking at the greddy s/c system for the celica........looks like less mucking around....screw you turbo people :lol:

Gotta start saving up :whistling:

Ive already seen 2 1zz's turbo'd one in the city had a blow off the size of france and nearly blew my ear off when he shifted next to me at 6500rpmz and then flew off in the distance i was in a van so i didnt bother following lol

Another one was yesterday on the way to the day cruise in penrith when i come next to a fricking sleeper and a half makes xoom's car look like a race car compared to this sleeper completely stock except for a tin can cannon ohh and after he blew past me in about 4 seconds i assumed hmm that has something in it and then when he blew his blow off next to me then when i bowed my head in shame past him and looked behind and saw a massive front mount hidden behind the stock front bumper

:) i dont mind he would hammer me on the straights thats for sure but round twisties :spiteful: cusco FTW

Ive already seen 2 1zz's turbo'd one in the city had a blow off the size of france and nearly blew my ear off when he shifted next to me at 6500rpmz and then flew off in the distance i was in a van so i didnt bother following lol

Another one was yesterday on the way to the day cruise in penrith when i come next to a fricking sleeper and a half makes xoom's car look like a race car compared to this sleeper completely stock except for a tin can cannon ohh and after he blew past me in about 4 seconds i assumed hmm that has something in it and then when he blew his blow off next to me then when i bowed my head in shame past him and looked behind and saw a massive front mount hidden behind the stock front bumper

:) i dont mind he would hammer me on the straights thats for sure but round twisties :spiteful: cusco FTW

For the expense, the hassle and mostly for the relaibility issues, I would be selling the Corolla and getting a Rex or a MPS. The Corolla sportivo is deisgned for 143kw. That means that the engine internals, gearbox internals, driveshaft, Fuel system, engine mounts, engine internals, cooling system, etc is all deisgned around an engine that makes 143kw at the flywheel. 150kw atw means about 200kw at the flywheel.

My problem would be reliability. Once you start getting these numbers, then you will start seeing the life of other components that you haven't stregnthened, seriously deteriorate. Eventually it becomes an unrelaible money pit. If you want a car that has 200kw then let the manufacturer spend millions in development work to make sure everything is strengthened.

I have been down this path before and invested tens of thousands. It went faster than a turbo porsche, but there is a reason those things cost 300k. Anyhting more than intake, exhaust and chip, and you had better have a good mechanic and lots of spare cash in the account. It might take a while to start to see the effects, but once you strengthen one thing, then somehting else becomes the weakest link. You will also never be able to sell it.

Just my humble opinion.

For the expense, the hassle and mostly for the relaibility issues, I would be selling the Corolla and getting a Rex or a MPS. The Corolla sportivo is deisgned for 143kw. That means that the engine internals, gearbox internals, driveshaft, Fuel system, engine mounts, engine internals, cooling system, etc is all deisgned around an engine that makes 143kw at the flywheel. 150kw atw means about 200kw at the flywheel.

My problem would be reliability. Once you start getting these numbers, then you will start seeing the life of other components that you haven't stregnthened, seriously deteriorate. Eventually it becomes an unrelaible money pit. If you want a car that has 200kw then let the manufacturer spend millions in development work to make sure everything is strengthened.

I have been down this path before and invested tens of thousands. It went faster than a turbo porsche, but there is a reason those things cost 300k. Anyhting more than intake, exhaust and chip, and you had better have a good mechanic and lots of spare cash in the account. It might take a while to start to see the effects, but once you strengthen one thing, then somehting else becomes the weakest link. You will also never be able to sell it.

Just my humble opinion.

I agree.

stroker kit would give you more torque then you have now...

All-Motor heaven.

Stock 2zz rod & piston on the left

Crower 2zz rod & wiseco piston in the middle

Stock 1zz rod & piston on the right

I'll let the pictures do the talking (curtosey of a friend in the US)

rods1.JPG

rods2.JPG

rods3.JPG

And the 2zz rods are still half the size of the big daddy's I"ve got in my 2lt kombi motor. In fact the Type 4 VW motor has rods bigger than 350 Chev. Chevvy boys don't like it when I tell them that....

Just my humble opinion.

:clap::yahoo::toast:

I share the same view.

Just my humble opinion.

:clap::yahoo::toast:

I share the same view.

pikers :P

Thats the whole point of modifying...........finding a valid excuse to change to better aftermarket parts :lol:

To be honest if we all really thought like that then there is no car modification scene, I understand and respect your opinion though.....Hell if I really wanted to I would of bought a Ra-65 Celica and dumped a 1g-gte into it or worse still and try to (*** forbid) get a 3s running in it.

But cheers to xoom for taking the initiative and getting a turbo sportivo up and running!!

Thats the whole point of modifying...........finding a valid excuse to change to better aftermarket parts :lol:

To be honest if we all really thought like that then there is no car modification scene, I understand and respect your opinion though.....Hell if I really wanted to I would of bought a Ra-65 Celica and dumped a 1g-gte into it or worse still and try to (*** forbid) get a 3s running in it.

But cheers to xoom for taking the initiative and getting a turbo sportivo up and running!!

why not a 1JZ in the RA-65?

the 2zz rods look tough as!!!

Right here comes the Forced induction!

*sits back and waits for Pete to put his money where his mouth is* :P

LOL! U know the easy part is planning but without $$$ well,yes,no, fine.....