aaah what to buy

well it all over folks my stivo goes this weekend but i plan to still stay around the forums and go to the occasional cruise but the time has come to move on to greener pastures. Now the question is at hand as to what i want to get next! i have a few months to decide but need suggestions my budget is really no more than 23k so i was looking at:

subaru liberty b4

nissan 200sx (s15 jap spec)

honda teg type r

alfa romeo gtv v6

damn the list goes on any other cars you guys can think of please add your thoughts or hack my choices to pieces lol

cheers

Personally, The S15 - No contest.

-The Liberty B4 seems special on paper, but its twin turbo set up doesn't work as it should, it seems to lag a bit. But chassis set up is nice, it's tuned more as a GT than a Sports Car.

-Type R/S Close 2nd, great on its own, but If given the choice between a good FWD and a good RWD, I choose the RWD. Plus as you know, NA tuning is $$$.

-Alfa GTV V6. One of the sexiest engines on the planet. An alfa v6 at full song is addictive and grin inducing, it's one of those engines. Not as accomplished as the Teg in the twisty bits and little things such as paint finish etc not quite as good as the Japanese cars. But not as problematic as Italian cars of the past.

-S15, great, strong engine, but what I like best is the chassis set up, the way they handle stock, it's just a fantastic drivers car. This is my opinion and I have had the opportunity to sample all of these (But it was an AUDM S15 so less power but same car). On the down side, they do have their share of interior rattles and cruising on the highway in 6th gear gives a funny drone/vibration which is often mistaken to be a fault or something wrong, but it's just how it is.

Happy shopping mate.

My first preference would be the Liberty B4,I own a Liberty wagon I use on quiet country runs & Family outings & driven Bruv's Suby WRX as a Track car,I believe AWD turbod transport is the go,The drive feel is so amazing AWD conversion is absolutely possible (not me but i love my rolla :lol: )

The Teg ive driven & taken to Hell & back BUT doesnt make me wanna come back for more, the feel & sound of Vtec are amazing,only a Honda VTEC can create such beautiful tunes,Power wise in a NA ,I feel this is close as youde get to a S2000 (but in FF :( ) a real power house NA..THis would a very close second

S15's dime a dozen<everywhere just like its cuzzins the 13 & 14,but accessorywise & potential for Modding is limitless & there are some beautiful examples out there & bloody quick too ,But after all the work youde prolly do to it, youde be outdone by another S15 <_< even worse a holden commonwhore

Tha Alpha is prolly the most sexiest of your choices,Theres nothings better than driving a well made prestegious European car(my collegues would agree driving beemers & puegs),The sound & feel of its well made handmade like engines ,the feel of its precision race like suspension,the international airport lounge like interior 'Its an alpha' simple :huh: but alot of Euro cars are plagued by lack of service providers & Hard spare Parts & in the ned it all comes out ur pockets from a gradual trickle to a downpouring...

Good luck on your new buy, sorry ur not staying with the Toyotas,try lexus or importing the Verossa (maybe)

thanks for the input guys im taking my time on this one, i would stay with toyota theres only a few i like e.g. supra, soarer tt, but to find a good example is hard and im sort of over there shape now. The aristo il look into thanks.

As for the s15 someone made a good point where i would just be pouring more money into it to make it go harder plus there everywhere in melbourne, and no offence to anyone but alot of tools drive them lol.

The teg type r is great little screamer but this car will be a daily driver and after a while i think the track feel and real on normal roads will get on my nerves, as for the tuning i would also feel im stuck with another n/a stivo drama but the parts are readily available but $$$$.

Then theres the b4 if you ask me still my top choice its got everything leather, awd, twin turbo that sexy as boxer engine the only thing is turbo lag but i have researched this and apparently it can be resolved with ecu tuning at mrt for a pretty good price too bringing you to around 170 at all fours which would bring me a grin from ear to ear.

The alfa is another choice its just a hot italian car which i hear goes really well too. But the parts and servicing are apparently $$$ but then again how much would it cost to keep a b4 serviced and running well? Also i hear the alfas are plauged by problems, someone pull me up on this if im wrong

phew so there ya have it

I love the Alfa V6. With your money, you should be able to buy the 3.0 litre version, which is still fabulous. I driven my friend's 3.0 V6 GTV, although a bit cramped inside (I'm not big either), the driving positions and pedal positions are great.

I was in the market for GTA once, so what I can suggest you do is find out what the owner is like, because Alfa demands strict attention. If the person bring his car to service to Lance Dixon Alfa, most likely its well taken care example.

Lance Dixon is the best service centre for Alfa in Melbourne approved by all Melbourne Alfa enthusiast. I'll get back to you for this alfa romeo website I found to be useful.

http://alfaowner.com/Forum/

As always ever-cautious, also check insurance prices before buying a car. Given your choice in cars, I don't imagine that being too much of a concern, but I do remember insurance for my stivo being a third of the price of a tegra.

Aristo FTW!!!!

Damm it Dylan!!! always stealing my ideas LOL

I hear they make pretty awesome tow vehicles too ;) :ph34r:

but basically... BEST SLEEPER EVER!!!

I can here the kiddies in the other cars now... 'daddy did you just get beaten my an Avalon?'

I think S15 wins in the looks department, for its price and performance its a very good deal.

But ive always had a soft spot for MR2s and the mrs, cars that are light allows more useable power with every mod too.

cheers :D

thanks for the input guys keep it coming. The only thing danz that puts me off the alfa is its maintenance costs involved and the obscene amounts of $$$ you have to spend on services. The b4 on the other had woulldnt be that severe plus i know a mechanic at sti docklands :D

looking at tegs but i would only go for dc5's just purely on looks and there a much newer car

Yeah the Alfa running cost is very high.

One of the Alfa owner that I met strongly reccomend Selenia oil for Alfa and nothing else. The 3.2 V6 requires 6 litres of oil, and per litre of Selenia suited for that 3.2 V6 cost you $20 (Sold per can of 1 litre). Of course you would want some extra of litre just in case u need to top up.

Service is standard European car service price, $400 - $500 per 10,000km. But I supposed you would want to change the oil every 5000km, which u can do yourself, then bring in for service each 10,000km.

These cost figures would be the same if not similar for the V6 3.0 Litre cost of maintenance.

yeah you can pik them up for that much but usually stock as a rock and i really dont want to go crazy on mods which is what you usually do to get power from them and usually its the case of not knowing if its been thrashed and in the in get whipped by a vl with mod boost, my hearts pretty set on the liberty b4 havent really found anything that can offer bang for ya buck like it and normally driven by conservative drivers (hopefully)

yeah you can pik them up for that much but usually stock as a rock and i really dont want to go crazy on mods which is what you usually do to get power from them and usually its the case of not knowing if its been thrashed and in the in get whipped by a vl with mod boost, my hearts pretty set on the liberty b4 havent really found anything that can offer bang for ya buck like it and normally driven by conservative drivers (hopefully)

Aristo... :whistling:

If you want bang for your buck and cheaper services and insurance etc.. try the XR6 TURBO.

There hovering the mid 20s now, plus you can still have a bit of fun with the backend :spiteful:

its easy to gain power aswell.

Food for thought as they say.

Hrmm tough choices.

I'd be inclined to say S15 or Teggy type r. If you're after some driving pleasure, a nice jdm s15 or DC2 teggy would both give it. Myself, i would probably have gone for the teggy but only a DC2 type r as they're the ones with an lsd, thin windscreen, minimal sound deadening etc (the dc2 is still the fastest 1/4 miler stock for stock against a dc5 type r or type s due to it's lightest weight of the 3 and lsd for launch).

Regarding the track oriented setup not good for daily driving...i guess it comes down to personal response but for me, i've had Tein type HA coilovers in my car for about 2 months now... The first two weeks i felt every little bump but now, i only notice biggish ones. My body/mind has somehow gotten used to the small dips and bumps and i just don't register them anymore.