TRD Aurion

Plugger

What are Toyota doing??

There's been plenty of hype about the TRD model to be released later this year to challenge the HSV and FPV cars.

Now I hear toyota are cutting down the power of the engine to around 235 kW. This will surely not deliver the knockout blow to Holden and Ford that I was expecting.

They say it will be a step up from the Aurion sportivo, not a step across from an FPV or HSV car.

Why would they bother then??

It's pretty dissapointing really.

What are Toyota doing??

There's been plenty of hype about the TRD model to be released later this year to challenge the HSV and FPV cars.

Now I hear toyota are cutting down the power of the engine to around 235 kW. This will surely not deliver the knockout blow to Holden and Ford that I was expecting.

They say it will be a step up from the Aurion sportivo, not a step across from an FPV or HSV car.

Why would they bother then??

It's pretty dissapointing really.

235kW is not to be sneezed at after all the current 911 only puts out 239kW and weighs only 100kg or so less than an Aurion and look how it performs.

Have a look at what power gets through to the wheels. I haven't seen the figures for front wheel drive but I know a mid 80's Porsche rear engine rwd (so not too dissimilar to front engine front wheel drive) only loses 10-15% so 235kW at engine would be 199-211kW at the wheels where as a front engine RWD loses approx. 30% (again this figure is a little old - mid 90's engineering) so to have 200kW at the wheels would need 285Kw at the engine. So what the TRD gets down to the asphalt may not be too far from the HSV and FPV.

Anyone with more accurate %'s feel free to correct me, and yes I know that the % for power loss is not an exact science and open to much debate but short of doing a rolling dyno and then ripping the engine out and bench testing it, it is a fair indication

Edited by jps137

yeah, was quite disappointed this afternoon when taking a boring lecture, so decided to read today's Herald Sun, toyota didnt aim to take 'step across HSV or FPV', but an UPGRADE on Aurion Sportivo... I personally think it is meaningless, then why they dont just sell the supercharger, for us to upgrade our Aurion ourselves? Maybe then more people might be interested? hrm... coz the price set is around $55k i think...

But who knows, toyota said that these arent confirm YET, everything still might change(read from paper), so i should wait till then, ask toyota to sell me tat supercharger!!! wakakaka!! :clap::clap:

Edited by dannywss

I remember reading somewhere that the TRD was meant to be a better/refined drive, not HSV V8 killer. eg. like a BMW's are to drive compared to a Commodore.

I remember reading somewhere that the TRD was meant to be a better/refined drive, not HSV V8 killer. eg. like a BMW's are to drive compared to a Commodore.

Why would it take on FPV/HSV when its a FWD V6 :blink:

Edited by Doug12

Well I havent read yet thats its 235kw... Ive heard it wont be a V8 killer (as you would expect) but not that it has 235kw. Not that it matters, as someone said you lose less power through a FWD config, so the XR6T with 10kw more does the 100 in 6secs with 100kg more weight and less power TO THE WHEELS then the TRD Aurion is going to do well.

Edited by aussie_camry

Why would it take on FPV/HSV when its a V6 :blink:

The Typhoon from FPV is a Turbo six,

Is it FWD....................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Is it FWD..........................................................................................................................................................................................................

No it's not..................................................................................................................................................

but then Audis which are FWD or AWD (depending on model) are regularly compared with Mercedes and/or BMW both RWD and are seen by most to be direct rivals in certain classes (eg A4, C-class and 3-series)

The TRD Aurion will be compared with the FPV and HSV items whether we or Toyota like it or not for the simple facts that

i) it's a large car

ii) it's from a the company's performance arm

iii) it's made in Australia

Edited by jps137

Come on people lets not rubbish the TRD Aurion we at least want TRD to stay around long enough to release a TRD Corolla and who knows perhaps bring in the next generation Supra or a TRD Celica

Is it FWD..........................................................................................................................................................................................................

No it's not..................................................................................................................................................

but then Audis which are FWD or AWD (depending on model) are regularly compared with Mercedes and/or BMW both RWD and are seen by most to be direct rivals in certain classes (eg A4, C-class and 3-series)

The TRD Aurion will be compared with the FPV and HSV items whether we or Toyota like it or not for the simple facts that

i) it's a large car

sorry to burst your bubble but its NOT AWD and it IS FWD so at best it will be an alternative to FPV/HSV not a replacement...

Why would it take on FPV/HSV when its a FWD V6 :blink:

Don't remember saying that it was taking on the HSV ? They were aiming it more towards the Liberty GT (as someone else mentioned).

i) it's a large car

sorry to burst your bubble but its NOT AWD and it IS FWD so at best it will be an alternative to FPV/HSV not a replacement...

Northy

No bubbles burst here. Doug12 was actually asking if the FPV Typhoon was FWD not the Aurion

I believe it's matter of the new, lower figure, being appropriate for the chassis.

During testing they may have found the higher output developed too much torque steer and was just a mess in cornering. Remember being supercharged, low down torque would be delivered in spades. Not something that always agrees with a FWD in the twisty stuff.

The lower output would give less torque steer and add a more welcomed finesse to it's handling, it still will be fairly quick. But not in the FPV/HSV Territory.

I would rather handling over power. You get quicker lap time too. If you saw the two mustangs on Top Gear recently you will see the difference a well sorted car makes over one with just raw power. Linear power is another important factor than top Kw and Torque numbers. :P

I would rather handling over power. You get quicker lap time too. If you saw the two mustangs on Top Gear recently you will see the difference a well sorted car makes over one with just raw power. Linear power is another important factor than top Kw and Torque numbers. :P

A good example is also the SS vs. MX5 in the BFYB few issues ago. MX5 still got around the track at about 98% (I think) of the pace of the SS despite having less than half the power.

They have stated that it will not be comparable to the HSV/FPV, so all I was saying is why bother making a car that is a small step up from the Aurion. Everyone got excited about it (just read past threads) and it looks great too, although when we are dealing with cars of this ilk, POWER is high on the list. Who cares how it handles, that's the mentality at that level. That's all I meant by it.

I couldn't give a jacks crack about the power, I put my foot down on my car the other day and nearly ended up on the side of the road, scared the **** out of me, had to change my pants when I got home.

Really when you think about it no point having the power under the bonnet if you can't get it down onto the tarmac. I agree on that.

People who think this car is at all similar to HSV and FPV products obviously have little understanding of the vehicle architectures.

Also, forget what youv'e been fed by the Toyota marketing machine, it's not about KW kids, it's about Nm.

Of-course Toyota can turn the Aurion engine into a much powerful engine than HSV/FPV. But too much power for a FWD will cause the car to rock if you step it to the floor when start off, and there's also some issue in cornering. Anyone had driven an ES300 would realize that. Toyota always consider quality first follow by reliability.

Also, forget what youv'e been fed by the Toyota marketing machine, it's not about KW kids, it's about Nm.

i still think that they will get spanked by the 520nm the LS2 churns out....

• 2 weeks later...

i still think that they will get spanked by the 520nm the LS2 churns out....

I think the LS2 gets spanked by the 630nm the E63 churns out. The supercharged V6 is not competing with the LS2!