High-end Speakers

selyaT

Audio buffs unite :D

My good ol' Alpine Type S component system has been pumping hard for quite a long time, I bought them in December '05. I'm pretty sure they have reached the end of their days though, on the driver's side the tweeter is fizzing and crackly, and the woofer component is punching like a school girl. Passenger side is not too bad but the overall experience is pretty poor and I think it's time for an upgrade regardless.

I think spending around $600 give or take should get me into some pretty good gear. Here are brands that I've heard are quite good:

- Alpine Type-X

- MB Quart (like Micky C and Micky T)

- Focal

- Rainbow

Please lend me a few ideas or suggestions as to brands and, if possible, model numbers that could help me out :) Thanks!

JT

With that budget, I'd be looking seriously into the Alpine Type X speakers. They are very similar to the DynAudio speakers worth $1000. I dont like the mbquarts/focal sound because they are way to bright whereas the TypeX speakers are nice and warm!

But if you do save up a little bit more I'd be definitely looking at the Dynaudio range! :D.

Hi Type X will be finished soon, as I checked the US and China website where they are into DDLinear.

I was thinking to getting the type X, but I ended up with MB quartz in the premium range.

WHile the rest of my gear are alpine.

I will keep posted, cos I am getting my install tomorrow.

The guys from Tower audio said the Type X has much more bass than MB Quartz while the MB gives better clarity.

I dont like the mbquarts/focal sound because they are way to bright

I would have to agree with you there. I'm not the biggest fan of them, they are highly regarded though.

I'm gonna go do some pricing :) Maybe I will get my hands on a runout model set of Type X's if joeyee is right about them discontinuing the line

hey there i would recommend rockfordfosgate as im a rockford fan try the 6inch 3 way splits 250watts they come with 4 tweeters and the cross overs $289 at automotiv in merrylands sydney

you will not be dissapointed as i have the same ones and they are crystal clear

Thanks for all the responses!

Two more brands: Eclipse and Infinity... anyone?

Also apparently the biggest bargain around are the Blaupunkt VPc172 RRPing for about $350. I read the review in a magazine a few months ago and just found it, snot 4's issue 148 Feb 2007 - "SQ worth $1000 for $349", can't really argue with that headline lol.

Still I've always been an Alpine tragic...

SPX-177R

SPX-17REF

Edited by Tayles

Ok just to let you know, Type-X are not discontinued, there are new models coming out though. However DDlinears have been discontinued a little while ago.

And those TypeX will definitely still be the pick of the group.

Are there any car audio shows that happen up in the ACT? They are the absolute best to experience the sound in real life application rather than in store which most of the time sound horrific.

Alpine Type X and the Rainbows would be my pick from that bunch. Boston Acoustics are absolute quality too. I don't think you would be dissapointed with any of those choices man. Just make sure you get an adequate amp in terms of quality and performance too :)

Audio shows are rare as hen's teeth here :(

Thanks for your recommendations BB, and don't worry, I'm covered in the amp department :)

Leaning towards Type X or the Blaupunkt one (readily available)

I got a set Focal K2, 2 ways at the back and im getting Focal Polyglass V2 series splits very soon. For the price of Focal V2 it is definitely worth, awesome mid bass, while tweeters are clear and crisp. The Focal K2? damnz they are even better....sound like lil subs 10 inche subs.

Cant wait to get it finished....

Yay

Make sure you budget in a good install. Sound Deaden if you have not already :blink: . In terms of the speakers that your looking at, you are looking in the right direction.

My rant about installs is almost crazy, but since your looking at high end speakers then I'm sure you know what your talking about.

hv some focal splits down the front, cause when i installed my audio i was in a bit of a tight budget but the guy managed to put in the focal splits and im very happy with it as for my dad he is a big fan of mb quartz and said a lot of good things bout it, soon to hv some mb splits on my car so i will let u know how tht goes but im pretty sure u'd prob hv bought ur gear before i can tell u :P

Hi Guys,

As you are aware, Alpine US and Alpine China and Alpine Japan has dropped their Type X speakers. Australia is always months behind in Alpine products and I beleive the Type X will be discontinued.

I have my stereo installed yesterday, Ful Alpine EXCEPT I WENT for MQ QUARTZ premium speakers.

I am always a fan of Alpine, (my last car had full alpine with type R speakers 4 years ago.

But I can realli hear the difference with the MB quartz when I play any concert and DVD movies.

Although the MB Quartz lacks the punch of the alpines, I think you can offset that by having high powered subwoofers.

Right now im looking at 2 set of split but i don't know which one to get: What do you guys think?

These?

165 V2

Technical Details

$449 (Aust)

6-1/2" Two-Way Component System

2-way component system. with TN47 inverted-dome tweeters. 2-way separate crossover

12 dB/oct. (3.5kHz).

Adjustable tweeter and mid range level.

Power handling: 150W max, 75W RMS.

Frequency response:

60Hz-20kHz.

Grilles included.

These are our best-selling speaker for the last three years. Upgraded in early 2006 with some minor tweaks, they now sound better than ever. Powerful rich bass matched smoothly to smooth clean accurate tweeters. Our best salespeople for these are the people who have bought them already. These are a warm-sounding set of speakers which will give you years of listening pleasure. Take one out of the box and look at the construction, and you will see that you get superb quality, from the cast metal basket to the stainless steel motor assembly and the quality crossover components. This speaker was created by sound engineers, manufactured in France using the latest technologies which are unique to Focal.

Or these:

24dB Audiophile passive network w/ cast aluminum housing

Aluminum former

Die cast concealing ring

Foamed rubber surround

Hard-anodized parabolic aluminum cone

Inverted titanium dome ceodymium tweeter

Neodymium motor structure

Proprietary cast aluminum basket

Midrange Diameter 6.5"

Midrange Depth 2.7"

Tweeter Diameter 1.1"

Tweeter Depth n/a

Frequency Response 60Hz - 22kHz

Power Handling 100 Watts RMS

200 Watts Max

Crossover Low-Pass (LP) 12dB

High-Pass (HP): 24dB

Sensitivity 89dB @ 1 watt/1 meter

Grilles Included Yes

Mounting Hardware Yes

Shipping Weight 11.2 Lbs.

(5.1 Kg.)

What do you guys think? Price wise they are similar, but the focal are bit more...

hey there i would recommend rockfordfosgate as im a rockford fan try the 6inch 3 way splits 250watts they come with 4 tweeters and the cross overs $289 at automotiv in merrylands sydney

you will not be dissapointed as i have the same ones and they are crystal clear

Hey where abouts is automotive in Merryland? never seen it or heard it...?

cheers

Where are you getting this info that the type X are being discontinued? I was told there are new models coming out.

Edited by Un4given

I guess if Alpine Japan does not sell them, this means the type X will be discontinued.

Maybe they only release the Type X for Europe and Australia market only.

By the way, the MB Quartz provides a much better sound than the Alpines I had on my previous car.

Its a lot crisper and especially when u listen to slow beat vocal music.

Speakers power rating are useless in terms of working out how good/bad they sound like. It is a *guide* to matching amps but then again it isnt all that useful too. You can put an amp of xxxxx watts to a speakers of xxx watts and not blow them up if you set them up properly. An example would be like firstly my stock speakers that i had running off an big alpine amp. They are rated at 30w rms but i was giving each of them 80w rms and they sounded awesome. At the moment my current splits are rated at 80w rms i think but i'm running them with 400wrms for the last 12 months. Nothing has blown up. :)

So with speakers, you have to use your ears to see which you like best and not your eyes to see what the specs are. But like i said before, focals are too bright for me.