Camry V6 in MR2

jps137

I have read that in the USA installing the 1MZ-FE in the SW20 is a popular option in lieu of installing a turbo engine. Has anyone done this here? and if so what are the results (performance, handling and costs) vs. other engine options?

Sounds awesome! The V6 Camrys were no slouch. I imagine the V6 would be rather heavy though. Have you found any examples?

Here are some examples from the USA but I do not know of any in Aust and I was after some feedback from Australian owners (ie. people who like to go around corners quickly not just in a straight line)

http://www.bryanf.com/MR2/index.htm

http://www.v6mr2.com/

the gear ratios play another important part... i don't know about the V6 auto but the I4 auto is verrrry smooth and cruising rather than performance and response based...

with the 1MZFE (and 3SFE 3VZFE etc).... F heads are designed for better fuel economy ie more torque low down... the performance G heads (3SGE 2ZZGE etc) are designed for performance ie more revvy engines with higher power at the top end...

with the 1MZFE (and 3SFE 3VZFE etc).... F heads are designed for better fuel economy ie more torque low down... the performance G heads (3SGE 2ZZGE etc) are designed for performance ie more revvy engines with higher power at the top end...

Ay. I've found if I let the V cruise along at 2k it's a smoother ride, but if I push her to knock a gear back and get up higher in the rev range she kind of struggles... and makes me think my fuel needle is dropping rapidly

... a v6 into the spyder...

i think it's too big for it...

would need to rework the whole chassis for the v6 to fit it, and it will affect the perfect 50:50 layout on the spyder...

super charging, or even a turbo is be a better option than a transplant

• 3 weeks later...
... a v6 into the spyder...

i think it's too big for it...

would need to rework the whole chassis for the v6 to fit it, and it will affect the perfect 50:50 layout on the spyder...

super charging, or even a turbo is be a better option than a transplant

From what I had read the cost of the V6 transplant for a SW20 was comparable with Turbo-ing (properly)