help needed SOS

bLk-StIvO

morning morning

yesturday i got the black paint , primer & the clear , i cleaned the eye lids sprayed the primer let it dry for a bit the sprayed on the black paint i let the paint dry and for some reason when it dried it went grey lol

so i sprayed the clear and it still went grey this time the whole thing , should i have sanded it down with fine paper

WAT HAVE I DONE WRONG

not happy jan

help me lol :help:

After watching the painting process on the whole front end/engine bay of a corolla, I learnt a few things, which may apply here:

1. Undercoat needs to be COMPLETELY dry before attempting to put paint on. (eg leaving a day between coats)

2. Paint needs to be done in layers, letting each one dry first. Mine is cascade blue, and the first coat came out almost aqua in colour. Successive coats, letting each one dry first, progressively darkened the shade.

3. Also each coat was ultra thin, avoiding horrible build ups/inconsistencies in paint thickness and thus, moisture...

4. Yes, sanding does aid the priming process.

Did this sound like your experience?

primer should be left for 1 week or so to let it harden. then apply paint. wait another week or so, so the paint can cure.

then apply your clear coat.. =D and after 1 week or so...AHHAHA polish and wax...long process? it works for 1/24 car models hahaha

Oh! and when applying coats.. apply them in thin light coats. with 5-10mins between each coat.. and spray at a distance of say 20-30cm away.

If you miss a spot dnt' try sprayin more on the spot, as it'll cause runs.. spray it over in the next layer =)

Edited by spookz

yep. I've had the same experience. You should let primer sit for the at least 24hours. use fine grit sand paper (wet dry) to lightly sand prior to painting over the prime surface. your finish will only be as good as your prime coat so it's about prep-work and patiences.

what everyone else said pretty much sums up my experiences.

Edited by qkslvr

If you're in a hurry use a hairdryer between coats but at least let the primer dry over night.

And one more thing, when applying the coats, make sure the surface isn't cold to touch. Again use the hairdryer if the room temp is cold.

Always remember to wet sand before the final coat for best results.

This was what I did anyway when I painted my eyelids.

Cheers.

Edited by Rainman

If it has gone grey then it has blushed due to the surface and air temp being too cold by the sounds of it. I can paint eyelids (sand,primer, colour and clear ) all in one day. It's all about technique and the methods you use. If you are unsure then dont do it and get someone who knows what to do otherwise you will make a big mess of it.