Aircondition STINKS

I use my aircond pretty often and owes swtich between recirculating and the other one

so which one should i use?

Depends which air you judge to be cooler... Say you jump in your car on a summers day after it's been sitting there for 3 hours in the heat. It's hotter inside than outside right? So you start driving with the windows down to let the hot air escape whilst starting up the air-con using fresh air from outside. The air con will blow hot air for a while too, when it starts cooling down, it's time to close the windows and let it fill the car with cool air. When you're satisfied that the car is full of cool air (cooler than outside) then switch to recirculated air so the air con takes cooler air from inside and makes it even cooler, rather than taking hotter air from the outside and cooling it to the same temp as is already in the car. The key is to remember to turn it back to fresh air when you reach your destination instead of leaving it on recirculated air.

Does that make sense? :blink: Hope so

I use my aircond pretty often and owes swtich between recirculating and the other one

so which one should i use?

Depends which air you judge to be cooler... Say you jump in your car on a summers day after it's been sitting there for 3 hours in the heat. It's hotter inside than outside right? So you start driving with the windows down to let the hot air escape whilst starting up the air-con using fresh air from outside. The air con will blow hot air for a while too, when it starts cooling down, it's time to close the windows and let it fill the car with cool air. When you're satisfied that the car is full of cool air (cooler than outside) then switch to recirculated air so the air con takes cooler air from inside and makes it even cooler, rather than taking hotter air from the outside and cooling it to the same temp as is already in the car. The key is to remember to turn it back to fresh air when you reach your destination instead of leaving it on recirculated air.

Does that make sense? :blink: Hope so

Tqs alot bro..i'll try that starting from now =D

tqs so much :yahoo: toca members r great ey..u post up asking for help..heaps of ppl pile in helping you out

tqs so much =D

You may need to give the car a good wash especially the vents near above the bonnet. This happened to me when a cat actually did climb up on the bonnet and peed there and I could not get the smell out. Cats like to go on to the bonnet for warmth and sometimes the Tom cats have a little squirt to mark their territory.

Also I always leave the vent open and the only time I put it on recirculate is when I am behind an old Brisbane City Council diesel bus spewing out heaps of black smoke or behind an old magna with shot rings.

For your own health I don't think you should drive around on recirulate.

Mine smells like ratbag minge, so i just drive with the windows down, that way u can hear an intake if u have one as well :yahoo:

yeh when i first bought the car (was brand new) my sister was like do u have rats in ur aircon or something lol........ive had it for 2 yrs n it still smells...its slowly died down but people still notice it - i dont nemore coz im always in the car so im used to it!?

I have a new 2007 model and I get that problem some of the time. Yes it also happens for the first few seconds, then disappears.

It also happens on my Camry Altise V6 previous generation. 2001, 2002, 2003 something?

No idea WHAT it is, I don't really care all that much either. It goes away after a few secs.

I have a new 2007 model and I get that problem some of the time. Yes it also happens for the first few seconds, then disappears.

It also happens on my Camry Altise V6 previous generation. 2001, 2002, 2003 something?

No idea WHAT it is, I don't really care all that much either. It goes away after a few secs.

Mine does too..it smells for like prob a while..then its gone..

=( why is it like that

a toyota mechanics told me to turn the a/c off and have the fan on full with the windows down for 5-10min before you arrive at your destination so you are blowing the moisture out of the a/c unit. The smell is all the moisture that the a/c sucks in while its operating and got trap inside when you stop the engine....apparently

Edited by dimsim8

• 3 weeks later...
a toyota mechanics told me to turn the a/c off and have the fan on full with the windows down for 5-10min before you arrive at your destination so you are blowing the moisture out of the a/c unit. The smell is all the moisture that the a/c sucks in while its operating and got trap inside when you stop the engine....apparently

Also, air contains more moisture the closer you are to the coast. Probably explains why the Canberra boys aren't complaining

Anyone knows where the aircond filter is?

Search

• 3 weeks later...

some Toyota places do the air con service (i think thats what its called),

they just bring out a machine and place it in your cabin n let it run for a few minutes while they spray a disinfected spray through the outside vents

the machine is suppose to clean out all smells & bacteria in the air and air con system :blink:

they just bring out a machine and place it in your cabin n let it run for a few minutes while they spray a disinfected spray through the outside vents

the machine is suppose to clean out all smells & bacteria in the air and air con system :blink:

I'll bet they charge an arm and an leg for the privilege too. I'm thinking a can of glen 20 would do the same thing.

i most certainly did have that problem in my corolla..

man.. it was terrible.. i sprayed glen20 and that fixed it for some time, then it would come back again a few months later... its weird though, coz it comes and goes, depending on certain conditions..

i put the air conditioning on in the supra the other day, to demist the windscreen... faaarrrkkkk it was wretched... i'll have to try the glen 20 remedy again and see what happens.. air conditioners suck like that..

I'll bet they charge an arm and an leg for the privilege too. I'm thinking a can of glen 20 would do the same thing.

hahahaha yeah it does cost a fair bit, i think it was around $80 or more :blink:

• 1 year later...

I just browsing around and found this video on youtube about cleaning the car air conditioning system. Luckily, the model of the car he's doin is our Corolla :D. Not sure what model is that, but its Left handed. The cabin air filter is located behind the glove box:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhgGEeNrGM8