Panel Filter

g'day

Can anyone recomend a panel filter for the Stivo? I know TRD has one but it looks like a normal paper filter. K&N say they don't have one made for the Sportivo?

Yesterday I removed the "snorkel" from the air box and was really surprised what a difference it has made. With a panel filter I think it will be amost as good as a CAI (or am I dillusional?). So recomendations for a panel and where to get it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

the trd 1 is nothing like a paper filter, its an oiled filter and im my opinion its pretty good i have 1 and took the pipe out also, it does make it feel alot better :D

anyways i think u can get a k@n 1 but the trd 1 would probably be just as good if not better

i am using toms and yes you are right the trd looks like the original filter but in pink. toms is like the k&n and i am using it because i like my stuff to be jdm. usa is good but if i can get it made in japan then i will.

i have the ascent. from ascent to levin there is a water bottle behind the fog lamp cover. i removed this. the sportivo does not have this. i am trying to find out what the water bottle is for.

i also removed the snorkel. my car now *tries* to scream. my revs go higher and 2nd gear goes out to 110. when i am outside i can hear it sucking from 5 metres away.

when i turn the engine off you get the cool sound just like the trd cai.

go for the toms! it is dry and you can wash it. it is guaranteed for 120,000 or 150,000 km.

Edited by kcorro

i believe this "water bottle" you speak of is the resonator. It reduces the induction sound (to meet standards), but at the same time, it restricts some of the airflow.

when it is removed, you will find that your induction noise is much more obvious, especially at the lower revs.

the trd 1 is nothing like a paper filter, its an oiled filter and im my opinion its pretty good i have 1 and took the pipe out also, it does make it feel alot better :D

anyways i think u can get a k@n 1 but the trd 1 would probably be just as good if not better

Ok, now I'm confused. One of you says it is paper and the other says it's cotton fibre like a K&N. Which is it?

Who told you K&N don't make one? They do, and a few members here use them. Another brand worth looking at is BMC, made in Italy, similar to K&N but better suited to N/A cars that use high rpms like the Sportivo. The part no is 307/04. I purchased mine from Car Shine, but they're also available at Autobarn.

TRD has 2 different types of filters for the Stivo like what Briony said. I have K&N and its the same filter for 1ZZ-FE engined ZZE122 Corollas. TOMS would be good i guess but realistically the panel filters won't give much gains. The CAI is good because of the piping reaching down for cool air.

I think the Stivo setup also has a "water bottle" since its got the same airbox. I thought they are for draining water that might accidentally enter? And when you remove the snorkel, is that the removal of the whole piping leaving just the airbox, or just the plastic bit at the wned of the intake pipe?

Edited by ZEEROLLA

K&N filter is the same for both 1zz and 2zz engines as mentioned. I've got one on my car and I noticed an improvement in the car's performance albeit a small one. Light throttle response is better as well as when your cruising you use less throttle and it seems more effortless to sit on 100kph on the freeway. CES and I are currently (once exhaust production is up and running) trying to develop a replacement pipe for the air pick up for the standard air box. We will test it on the dyno etc to make sure it is effective and try to achieve a good increase in power with it. Will post results when they are available.

Cheers Silvabullit. :D

TRD has 2 different types of filters for the Stivo like what Briony said.  I have K&N and its the same filter for 1ZZ-FE engined ZZE122 Corollas.  TOMS would be good i guess but realistically the panel filters won't give much gains.  The CAI is good because of the piping reaching down for cool air. 

I think the Stivo setup also has a "water bottle" since its got the same airbox.  I thought they are for draining water that might accidentally enter?  And when you remove the snorkel, is that the removal of the whole piping leaving just the airbox, or just the plastic bit at the wned of the intake pipe?

i called it a water bottle because that is what i thought it was but now i know it as a resonator. it is a big container so for sound it makes more sense.

the stivo does not have it. so when you go to install cai into anything but a stivo you need to spend time removing the resonator (water bottle).

even if it was to take water that might accidentally enter there is little point in collecting that water into a container and then slowly dripping it from some tiny holes in the base. might as well just drop that water out without having to strain through a container.

i removed the snorkel and the flexible pipe up to the air box. the flexible pipe is covered with pvc. when the pvc is removed the pipe is furry material like marine carpet. the furry material is only glued on. just tear it off with your hands but be careful not to hurt yourself because it does have coils of plastic wire through it.

if you want to draw in air from behind the fog lamp just go to a pool shop of industrial vacuum cleaner shop and get the large piping. run this from behind the fog lamp up to the air box. i am not going to bother with this but will be keen on seeing what ces come up with.

i have the ascent. from ascent to levin there is a water bottle behind the fog lamp cover. i removed this. the sportivo does not have this. i am trying to find out what the water bottle is for.

i also removed the snorkel. my car now *tries* to scream. my revs go higher and 2nd gear goes out to 110. when i am outside i can hear it sucking from 5 metres away.

i believe this "water bottle" you speak of is the resonator. It reduces the induction sound (to meet standards), but at the same time, it restricts some of the airflow.

when it is removed, you will find that your induction noise is much more obvious, especially at the lower revs.

It also does helps the motor be efficient. It's a tuned part of the induction system on weaker less flowing engines to improve bottom and top end. The resonator will get air redirected into the pocket while off or light throttle and as soon as you mash the peddle it will give it a better feel as there was air ready to be shot into the combustion chamber. Removing this may or may not give you more power depends on your diving style, temp etc.

they spent countless hours desining such a little thing to get the right ammount of air flow etc for the resonator its not like they just placed it there to shut it up.

It also does helps the motor be efficient. It's a tuned part of the induction system on weaker less flowing engines to improve bottom and top end. The resonator will get air redirected into the pocket while off or light throttle and as soon as you mash the peddle it will give it a better feel as there was air ready to be shot into the combustion chamber. Removing this may or may not give you more power depends on your diving style, temp etc.

they spent countless hours desining such a little thing to get the right ammount of air flow etc for the resonator its not like they just placed it there to shut it up.

I actually agree with you to a certain extent. I think the piping being tinier right before the airbox also serves a purpose, it accelerates the air going through and the snorkel too. Like they positioned the snorkel there to pick up air coming in through the space between the bonnet and headlight, and also helps acceleration of air through the piping. That's what i think it does anyway.

I do know Honda cars have very well designed standard airboxes and even some racing Type-Rs and Civic Vti-Rs use the stock airbox.

Gravityfreak, There are two types of TRD panel filters (not including the CAI).

The TRD USA filter is a cotton gauze. Looks like a paper filter. This one is oiled & requires regular cleaning with the TRD cleaning formula.

The filter from TRD Japan is a paper filter. This one is not oiled and is not intended to be 'washed'. It can be cleaned by air or shaking etc...

This filter provides the greater flow (in our experience) & therefore the most improvement.

The TOM'S filter is a foam filter. These are washable but (again in our experience) do not provide the flow of the TRD Japan filter.

The TRD CAI is another story again.

We are agents for all of these items in Australia should you need more help.

Cheers

Bruce

Gravityfreak, There are two types of TRD panel filters (not including the CAI).

The TRD USA filter is a cotton gauze. Looks like a paper filter. This one is oiled & requires regular cleaning with the TRD cleaning formula.

The filter from TRD Japan is a paper filter. This one is not oiled and is not intended to be 'washed'. It can be cleaned by air or shaking etc...

This filter provides the greater flow (in our experience) & therefore the most improvement.

The TOM'S filter is a foam filter. These are washable but (again in our experience) do not provide the flow of the TRD Japan filter.

The TRD CAI is another story again.

We are agents for all of these items in Australia should you need more help.

Cheers

Bruce

Thanks Bruce,

I am thinking of using a high flow filter K&N or TRD (panel) and then running a large diameter pipe from my air box (removed the snorkel already) down to where the CAI would normally draw the cold air. I can't believe that this wouldn't be 9/10 as good as a CAI as even with just the snorkel removed and the OEM filter in place, there is a noticable improvement in power. If you or anyone else wants to tell me I am dreaming and why - please do.

Cheers,

GF

• 1 year later...

K&N filter is the same for both 1zz and 2zz engines as mentioned. I've got one on my car and I noticed an improvement in the car's performance albeit a small one. Light throttle response is better as well as when your cruising you use less throttle and it seems more effortless to sit on 100kph on the freeway. CES and I are currently (once exhaust production is up and running) trying to develop a replacement pipe for the air pick up for the standard air box. We will test it on the dyno etc to make sure it is effective and try to achieve a good increase in power with it. Will post results when they are available.

dudes..I bought a K&N filter last night for 100bucks...part no 33-2252...and it doesn't fit in the airbox...i.e cant close the lid :(

I search the part # from K&N site and that is the part # they suggested.

Its about 10mm higher tnan the stock..

Now I have to return it for replacement..

anyone knows the correct K&N panel filter part# for 1zzfe built nov2001?

Thanks

dudes..I bought a K&N filter last night for 100bucks...part no 33-2252...and it doesn't fit in the airbox...i.e cant close the lid :(

Thanks

It will fit. I had that problem when i first bought my panel filter too. U just need to apply some pressure when trying to close the airbox. The rubber edging on the K&N filter will flex a bit and it will fit. Just need to apply some pressure.

Thanks

It will fit. I had that problem when i first bought my panel filter too. U just need to apply some pressure when trying to close the airbox. The rubber edging on the K&N filter will flex a bit and it will fit. Just need to apply some pressure.

thanks bro..!!

WOHOOO...YES FINALLY GOT IT IN!!! 33-2252 It is ;)

Edited by 1zzfewagon

ITG make a great tripple layer foam panel filter for the sportivo too... friend just had to trim 10mm off the end of the lip on the filter to fit... was a tight fit too but better midrange response by feel of the seat driving.

Being foam too no heavy sparaying of oil that "MAY" clog the air flow meter as some people have experienced with the cotton gauze ones. This was fitted to a friends car, not mine for warranty reasons

http://www.fuelsaver.com.au/itg.php

Thanks

thanks bro..!!

WOHOOO...YES FINALLY GOT IT IN!!! 33-2252 It is ;)

No probs.. ;)