When the engine is cold for the sportivo

Vhao

hey guys

ive got this issue with my sportivo. i wanna see if other people have the same problem. i have a 2004 corolla sportivo, done about 65000kms.

The problem is that..when the engine is cold and i step on the gas (planted to the floor) the car still wont move. it's as if the car is struggling. Its like a carburated motor like wen its cold it kinda chokes...the only mod that could affect this issue is a TRD CAI

i know that i should not rev the engine when its cold as it is bad for the car, but once i try to rev up the car, it like doesnt really rev up. after a while, the car is fine.

thanks, Vhao

Yeah i have same issue as well but that is good because it protects the engine i would think. I remember i use to thrash my old 4age 20v when it was cold a lot and i think it is the reason why it ended up blowing black smoke but who knows. I have a CAI as well on my sportivo and when i try revving it when cold it makes a strange noise like it is trying to suck in air into the intake but it is failing or something. So i just don't hit it hard after i start it up simple.

yeah i think its normal with CAI. but my case is a little different. i usually let the car warm up for like 5 mins when its really cold. the car is not drivable when it is cold. anyways in my case. i instlled my CAI like 5 months ago. i never had this problem. use to go normal when it was cold. and in like the last month it started happening so thats why i wait till it warms up now everymorning. anyway the problem seems to be getting worse everyday. got my car booked in at toyota this monday. gonna leave it overnight so they can do the cold start. hopefully they can sort of fix it. i dont mind the warming up period but just seems to be getting worse. im not taking any chances.

Hell, I don't even have a CAI and on a cold day while the engine responds shortly after starting, it's definitely not happy. Very chokey in the mid range while in 3rd. Gives me a bunny-hop kinda feel, which is okay when a large busted gal is by my side. Does anyone know of a large busted gal to sit by my side early in the morning?

after a while, the car is fine.

So what's the problem? Let it run for 5 minutes and then drive it (when the sucking noise stops). It won't be cold then

I was under the impresssion letting your car idle on start up clogs your engine with ****, and that gentle driving till the car reaches the right temp is the best bet :help:

With a CAI the lower end suffers quite badly.....so from your experience northy, would the PFC help change that problem??

my car drives the same weather its stone cold or at running temp and I its due to the PFC, when i put the stock ECU back in i have the same issues as everyone else when cold.

yeah i think its normal with CAI. but my case is a little different. i usually let the car warm up for like 5 mins when its really cold. the car is not drivable when it is cold. anyways in my case. i instlled my CAI like 5 months ago. i never had this problem. use to go normal when it was cold. and in like the last month it started happening so thats why i wait till it warms up now everymorning. anyway the problem seems to be getting worse everyday. got my car booked in at toyota this monday. gonna leave it overnight so they can do the cold start. hopefully they can sort of fix it. i dont mind the warming up period but just seems to be getting worse. im not taking any chances.

It is normal with the CAI. Toyota can't do anything about the problem as the only way to fix it is with a different ecu or with the stock air box.

Cleaning the filter and MAFS might help a tiny bit with the cold starts getting worse.

after a while, the car is fine.

So what's the problem? Let it run for 5 minutes and then drive it (when the sucking noise stops). It won't be cold then

I was under the impresssion letting your car idle on start up clogs your engine with ****, and that gentle driving till the car reaches the right temp is the best bet :help:

I too was under that same impression that you should jsut gentle drive until it reaches normal driving temp....but i would strongly say its not just in sportivos....you will find it in most cars that if you just start it and thrash it...it will bunny hop for sure.....my 2 cents..

i read sumwhere that the ecu cuts it...

it doesnt allow the engine to hit the pwr ban when its cold... when its warm then it will come..

Yeah that's not a problem that's an engine safety feature. He's talking about normal driving after fitting the CAI