The STUPID thread

theDefiant1

Back when people had CRTs, some offices would have a tinted screen placed in front of the CRT to stop it hurting ur eyes, blah blah blah, I also noticed with that, when someone is looking at the screen from an angle, and not straight on, they cant see anything, similar to the screens on ATMs.

Now when driving, especially a powerful car, its easy to get up to speeds without feeling it, how ever your passengers **** themselves when they see the speed, is there some way to put this kind of tint/film on the dash's display so that the front passenger cant see the whole cluster, or can see it faintly?

So basically you want to speed without the passengers in the car seeing that you're speeding......

psh, why woud i do that?

well its more of a case of them whinging, about me doing 10 k over the limit on an empty highway, can't kill me right? :blink:

well more like 120 on a 110 road, which plenty of people on here do.. i know thats no excuse.. but still.

Edited by mmm_sx6

Today, while filling up with BP98 as I always do. I started wondering. Am I really getting 98? I remember reading on another forum that overtime the additives in fuel wear out(in the underground tanks) eventually and you aren't actually getting 98 and the full benefit of the fuel unless it's fresh.

How true is this??

So let's so I put petrol into a bottle and put in some fuel doctor and let it sit (capped) for a month or two and over time the additives in fuel doctor will wear out and it will be just 'petrol' without any special chemicals?

Cheers.

I'd be guessing that the fuel wouldn't be sitting in the underground tanks longer than a week. It's 98 your putting in your car, unless the station mixed the tanks. Servos have to order the fuel days in advance, and just like a fruit shop they have to guess what they need, any extra can't be sent back. So the extra fuel usually goes into another tank. Typically they try to make sure the lower octane fuel doesn't go into the 98 tank. You'll also find the 98 is the minimum legal requirement (much like how 1kg of apples can weigh more than 1kg), you'll also find that the octane is over 98 too.

I'd be guessing that the fuel wouldn't be sitting in the underground tanks longer than a week. It's 98 your putting in your car, unless the station mixed the tanks. Servos have to order the fuel days in advance, and just like a fruit shop they have to guess what they need, any extra can't be sent back. So the extra fuel usually goes into another tank. Typically they try to make sure the lower octane fuel doesn't go into the 98 tank. You'll also find the 98 is the minimum legal requirement (much like how 1kg of apples can weigh more than 1kg), you'll also find that the octane is over 98 too.

Thanks for the reply man. Appreciate it. Clears up few questions :)

another one from me.

does using an aftermarket brake/clutch fluid damage the ABS module? i use the recommended (dot3) for my car but my question is do you HAVE TO USE genuine brake fluid for your car?

cheers

reason why im asking is i was told by someone that using an aftermarket fluid maybe has a different compound and since the ABS module is quite sensitive, it will damage the module which will result in $$$$$$$$$$$$

does using an aftermarket brake/clutch fluid damage the ABS module? i use the recommended (dot3) for my car but my question is do you HAVE TO USE genuine brake fluid for your car?

reason why im asking is i was told by someone that using an aftermarket fluid maybe has a different compound and since the ABS module is quite sensitive, it will damage the module which will result in $$$$$$$$$$$$

You can use any aftermarket branded brake fluid that you want provided that it complies to the specification, in this case it is DOT 3 or higher. Higher rated fluids are completely backwards compatible with lower graded fluids and mixing them is okay, but it's best to reduce this as much as possible to get the best results.

The only exception to this case is DOT 5 fluids. These are not compatible with systems where DOT 3 or higher is recommended. These should only be used where DOT 5 is specified as this brake fluid is made of a different composition which can gel when combined with other types of brake fluid.

DOT 5.1 though is compltely safe with DOT 3 & DOT 4 though as it's composition is basically the same.

Could somebody please explain to me what this is? I know it says 'Performance Flash Chip,' but is it all just a lie?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-08-Toyota-Aurion-OBD-Performance-Flash-Chip-/320550156342?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aa2473836#ht_5109wt_939

Just do a few minutes of searching in the Aurion section and you will get your answer, countless people have asked this question and has been answered heaps(DJKOR really hates this question :lol:). Just think about it this way. I will put a lemon on ebay for sale and say that by squeezing this special lemon on your ECU you will gain extra power and use less fuel.

So yes, these things are bullsh*t.

Could somebody please explain to me what this is? I know it says 'Performance Flash Chip,' but is it all just a lie?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-08-Toyota-Aurion-OBD-Performance-Flash-Chip-/320550156342?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aa2473836#ht_5109wt_939

Just do a few minutes of searching in the Aurion section and you will get your answer, countless people have asked this question and has been answered heaps(DJKOR really hates this question :lol:). Just think about it this way. I will put a lemon on ebay for sale and say that by squeezing this special lemon on your ECU you will gain extra power and use less fuel.

So yes, these things are bullsh*t.

LOL.. my bad :/

That performance chip gives less power improvement than me painting my brake calipers and engine cover RED.

psshh.. Painting anything on your car red would bring you closer to the 10sec mark :P

Painting your tyres red will give you +20kw but painting your car red will give you +100kw. Putting red stripes on your car will also give you +50kw

I painted everything in my car red and now it has OVER 9000 KILLER WASPS

Edited by A Buff Hamster

another one from me

when u format your computer, whats the best way to free up the space for a clean install

1) full format (you have to wait for 1000000000000000000 years)

2) delete the partition and quick format

cheers

p.s. i did notice that from vista up, u cannot do a full format... would this be the delete partition and quick format option?

another one from me

when u format your computer, whats the best way to free up the space for a clean install

1) full format (you have to wait for 1000000000000000000 years)

2) delete the partition and quick format

cheers

p.s. i did notice that from vista up, u cannot do a full format... would this be the delete partition and quick format option?

Full format is almost NEVER needed. full format overwrites the entire disk as empty, which as you noticed, takes ages. But it's not reqired, because a quick format just marks the disk as empty without spending all the time writing over everything, so as far as the computer is concerned, it's empty. End result is the same, but the time taken is massively different.

In short, if you're putting Windows on it, just do a quick format!

this is what a much older, (english 2nd language) relative once asked me: "what kind of a person is that kind?"

**edit**

ok this is my own stupid question regarding digital cameras.

400k-pixel = 4 megapixels?

Nah dude, 4,000,000 pixels = 4 megapixels.

400k pixels = 2/5 of 1 megapixel.

howcum when i press start a new topic in the stupid thread it creates the topic in the lounge instead ? thanks

OMG are you serial?

400k pixels for still shots is all you get from the jvc hdd camera. looks like ima keep my fuji digital cam coz that 1 is 4megapixels

Ebay and other online shopping question.

When you reach checkout sometimes you are asked for a discount code/coupon or whatever, but if you haven't shopped there before how can you get the code?

Is there a cheat of some sort on the net?

Or is this a toooo stupid question?

Did my ABS activate today? I never had them turn on before. Some idiot ran in front of my car today and I slammed on the brakes from about 20KM/h and it made a rumbling noise. Would that have been the ABS?

Edited by Silver-Aurion

Rumbling noise? Could it have been the sound of the tyres? Hard to tell really without hearing it to be honest. I know when I brake hard I get a rumbling noise from the tyres as they're close to the limit of adhesion, and I know it's not ABS because I don't have it, it's just the sound of the tyres making contact with the road under the pressure of the weight of the car times the force of the g forces involved, and I take it as an audible warning that I'm at the very limit of the tyres traction.

Is it possible for you to record this sound for us to hear so we can make a more informed reply? I can make a recording of the sound I'm referring to if that's any help, so you can tell me if it's anything like it?

Did my ABS activate today? I never had them turn on before. Some idiot ran in front of my car today and I slammed on the brakes from about 20KM/h and it made a rumbling noise. Would that have been the ABS?

That's ABS. I have only activated ABS 5 times so far and make VSC beep once.