The STUPID thread

theDefiant1

Iphone 5 should be releasing in 6-7 months time :)

it wont be, it will be a '4GS' (similar to the 3GS)... it wont be a whole new platform.

Yep. And it should have that new NFC chip in it. Not a seller for me though. If I want to upgrade to it, I'll do so after I compare what extras it has.

I guess it was one of those impulse things. I'm either going to love it or hate it. After using a Droid phone for quite a while now, at least I've got some ground to make a comparison on.

ah i haven't got an iphone 4 ..i'm waiting until it is cheaper, im planning to get it ''outright'' on ebay.. this stage i still like the function on my phone and how it allows me to know how many minutes im talkin on it :whistling:

Bit late now, but I recently went through a phone dilemma. I was in phases of "Yeh iphone would be awesome, is there any other phone that can do so much"

I finally found the Samsung Galaxy S and I'm the first to admit it's not perfect but a good alternative to the iphone.

My reasoning behind this was:

Coming from nokia's all my life I want something with a battery that can last (I can also upgrade the battery if I so choose)

I wasn't fussed about the camera having no flash, it's a rather decent camera and if I wanted some decent photo's I'd use an actual camera

The AMOLED screen seemed like a good thing to have

And my recent dealings with Samsung have all been excellent.

So the Galaxy S was my choice as it suited my wants and needs, the iphone and other phones (smart phones) are good phones but each one has slightly different pro's and con's which work for all different types of people. Like cars, the product (in this case phone) must tick all the boxes you set for it.

In conclusion once I made my decision I've never looked back, love me phone because I did my research and found the perfect phone for me.

Bit late now, but I recently went through a phone dilemma. I was in phases of "Yeh iphone would be awesome, is there any other phone that can do so much"

I finally found the Samsung Galaxy S and I'm the first to admit it's not perfect but a good alternative to the iphone.

If you don't mind me asking, what don't you like about the Samsung Galaxy S?

I'm pretty much sold on getting an Android based phone, my flatmate has a HTC Legend, and I like it from what I've seen of it. I also like how easy it is to make my own applications on Android.

So for me it now comes down to working out which one to get, and I'm open to anyones experiences with Android based phones.

Thanks.

what does the JDM wakaba leaf represent/mean?

L-plate. Why anyone would put that on their car over here, I have no idea, other than it might look "cool" to people who don't know what it really means....

If you don't mind me asking, what don't you like about the Samsung Galaxy S?

I'm pretty much sold on getting an Android based phone, my flatmate has a HTC Legend, and I like it from what I've seen of it. I also like how easy it is to make my own applications on Android.

So for me it now comes down to working out which one to get, and I'm open to anyones experiences with Android based phones.

Thanks.

Well the only thing about the Samsung Galaxy S I don't enjoy is the camera doesn't have a flash considering that a lot of phones do. But I do love the Swype thing where you just swipe your finger across a qwerty keyboard (on screen) and it spells the words for you. I believe that currently no other phone has this. My mate has the latest HTC Desire HD (i think its called) and its battery needs charging every day. With my phone I can go for about 3 days without a charge, and that involves calling, texting (a lot) bit of browsing the net and occasional game.

All in all the battery life sold it for me and the Swype is just the icing on the cake

what does the JDM wakaba leaf represent/mean?

L-plate. Why anyone would put that on their car over here, I have no idea, other than it might look "cool" to people who don't know what it really means....

x2... its just done by stupid people trying to get more 'JDM points'

I doubt you would see japs driving round with 'L' plates on their cars to get 'AUDM points'

• 2 weeks later...

my powder coated rims are beginning to fade already :(

the areas that are fading would be mostly in the spokes where they meet the center hub (if that makes sense?) i also see that on the other rims, the same part that had the smoother finish has not begin to fade yet...

bad PC job? should i return it to the guy to get them to do it again?

only problem is i'm going to spend more money to get the tyres off and back on to the other stockies... *sigh*

what do i do? only been less an a month i believe since i got them PCed

I'm not a fan of powercoating for rims. When subjected to heat often, it has a tendency to fade or discolour. Are you getting more fading on the front wheels by any chance?

Well here are some pics...

This one shows overall where the fading occurred... (this is actually the good rim - less of the fading but still some tiny pin holes)

CopyofDSC01254.jpg

Some pin holes on a spoke

DSC01249.jpg

Some fading in between the spokes

DSC01244.jpg

DSC01245.jpg

DSC01250.jpg

Some examples of "mirrored finish" areas

DSC01246.jpg

DSC01253.jpg

DJKOR: yeah i researched a bit on PC vs. paint but i chose PC for a couple of reasons. one was the durability and two was that they are not prone to cracking like painted wheels are. I was aware that the colour will fade over time but i reckon that depends on where and how often you maintain the colour. I park my car undercover 90% of the time so the colour should not have faded this soon. 1 year... maybe acceptable but not 1 month.

Ronnyboy: So when i bring it back what should i tell them? like they may bull5hit to me saying, oh the colours prone to fading etc. but i know that those tiny pin holes are not meant to be there. it looks like when they sandblasted it, they didn't clean the excess off properly hence there is sand roughness like finish on certain areas of the rims. I did notice there was some roughness on some parts of the rim wheni picked them up but i disregarded thinking it was the rim itself. But the colour underneath says otherwise? sand = yellow colour?

i just want to go in prepared as i don't want to be knocked back thinking its my fault the rims are fading so soon. i have tried to research online how bad PC products would look like but all i get is how good they are compared to painting them plus peeling and cracking if not heated properly etc...

also would they have to sandblast and powder coat them again, or would they just do another coat on top to mask the imperfections?

cheers guys

They will have to strip and sand blast again. Those faded spots actually look to me like not enough PC was applied to those areas. The pin holed area shows signs of a contamination of the alloy prior to PC'ing, ie oily residue off fingers etc. Most if not all PC should be UV stable, Its used almost all the time in the metal/construction industry, and colours fastness is one of the benefits of using PC. Sometimes you may get a little white hazing, which can be polished off easily, but fading in one month, hell no, there is something seriously wrong..

Ronnyboy: So when i bring it back what should i tell them?

Pretty much what you see. Tell them the paint colour is fading and theres little chips in the paint work after a month or two..

Yes, they will have to sandblast it again....

Not sure if theres any sort of sealant you can put on the wheels after its painted.. that might also help down the track..

thanks for the input guys, yeah i did ask him to send me information on how to maintain powder coated rims, but he never sent me the email...

i will definately go to them tomorrow and ask for the job to be done again

Kenshin - Found this online not sure how useful it will be.

Care of powder coated finishes

Powder coated surfaces require routine cleaning to remove dirt and grime. This will ensure the decorative and protective properties of the coating are retained. The frequency of such cleaning will depend on many factors but should be carried out every six months. In industrial and coastal environments, cleaning should be carried out more frequently, paying particular attention to areas not normally washed by rain. The best method of cleaning is by regular washing of the powdercoated surface with a soft cloth or sponge, using nothing harsher than normal bristle brushes with a solution of warm water and mild detergent. Surfaces should be rinsed with fresh water after cleaning to remove all residues. Do not use strong solvents such as lacquer as they will damage the coating.

• 2 weeks later...

Would attaching heatsinks to a car amplifier (which runs somewhat warm) be worthwhile provided I can get the heatsinks cheap?

Attaching heatsinks to heatsinks will provide some additional cooling ability, but the effectiveness is reduced a fair bit in comparison to having a efficient heatsink in the first place. I would personally be working towards improving it's ventilation.

Would attaching heatsinks to a car amplifier (which runs somewhat warm) be worthwhile provided I can get the heatsinks cheap?

Attaching heatsinks to heatsinks will provide some additional cooling ability, but the effectiveness is reduced a fair bit in comparison to having a efficient heatsink in the first place. I would personally be working towards improving it's ventilation.

The only downside of having amps under a seat. Given I have 12v + GND sources very nearby, I could probably wire up some low speed case fans without too much trouble (or the fans + additional heatsinks).

Hrmmm... more money to spend.

Now, I'm not so knowledgeable on the subject, so I have a stupid question.

As we know, Wivenhoe Dam here is a good deal above it's 100% capacity. They have mentioned that it can take up to 200%. Now when I hear that, I would assume that despite being above capacity, it would be engineered to withstand that right? So if the rain has eased down, wouldn't it help to wait for the floodwater to subside and gradually release some water? Or is it too much of a risk.

Or is there something about dams that I don't really understand.

Now, I'm not so knowledgeable on the subject, so I have a stupid question.

As we know, Wivenhoe Dam here is a good deal above it's 100% capacity. They have mentioned that it can take up to 200%. Now when I hear that, I would assume that despite being above capacity, it would be engineered to withstand that right? So if the rain has eased down, wouldn't it help to wait for the floodwater to subside and gradually release some water? Or is it too much of a risk.

Or is there something about dams that I don't really understand.

Capacity when referring to a dam is usually in relation to where either the flood gates sit, or where levels are designed to sit to maximise usable capacity but minimise evaporation, hence why you can have a figure significantly above 100% during flood times but still not overflowing. Wivenhoe can hold up to ~220%, but it isn't supposed to hold anything above 100% for more than a week (one of the reasons why they opened the gates and are doing timed releases with the tides now before things get worse).

Does anyone know (or have instuctions) on how to change the Gearshift light bulbs on a Gen 5 Camry? for some reason ALL the Letters(PDRV12) lights have gone off.

I have checked the fuses under the steering wheel and under the bonnet but they all seem to be fine.(unless the fuse is located else where)

I know how to get the centre console trim off (the one with the cup holders), but i cant workout how to get off the gearshift cover off to see the lights.

The Dealer quoted me $110 for them to do it.....

I would like to know why my Internet is slow, no me and bro haven't download anything, only surf the net and that's all. We also planning to get a new Internet provider to but not sure what's good out there, any one has a good Internet provider that it's worth the money and unlimited dl etc thanks :)