Cold Power Loss

Hi all,

Hope this hasn't been covered previously. I searched and checked the previous topics but couldn't find anything. Please point me in the right direction if it has.

This is actually my gf's 03 Corolla Sportivo that's having problems. Now as mentioned in the title, when the car is cold and for the first 20-30 seconds it will bog down when trying to take off from a standing start. Particularly bad up a hill.

Some history: She had owned the car for a week and was unfortunate enough to run up the back of someone, the radiator was slightly bent and replaced and the airbox has a crack from the battery support bracket and was also replaced.

Have tried cleaning the AFM which did nothing to solve the problem and she's going to get it to toyota soon.

The car operates fine once warm, appears to have plenty of power and engages lift no worries. Only bogs down and is gutless when cold.

Thanks

Nick

The engine will not allow you to engage lift when its cold.

as for the rest of the bogging, lets see what the others have to say bout that.

Edited by negatron

Cool, thanks. I think i read on here that the ECU won't allow lift until 60' C? Plenty of good info on here.

When i'm talking about bogging down i mean from idle speed. Reverse out of drive, put it in 1st and go to take off and it just limps forward at less than 2k RPM. Foot flat to the floor makes no difference. Like it's running very rich for some odd reason.

The other thought i had was a coolant temp sensor not talking to the ECU??

When i'm talking about bogging down i mean from idle speed. Reverse out of drive, put it in 1st and go to take off and it just limps forward at less than 2k RPM. Foot flat to the floor makes no difference. Like it's running very rich for some odd reason.

My'n does the same thing, although I have a CAI so its expected. Is her car completely stock?

Edited by Seano

My car also does the same thing, I think most cars experience this problem. As its not warm enough yet, your fluids will be more viscous/thicker. Unless of course it was normal since day one that she owned it, if not then you might have a problem.

Interesting to know it happen's to others. No cold air intake here.

I understand most cars are a bit sluggish off the line when cold but this is more exaggerated than any other car i've driven when cold.

She's not sure whether it did it prior to the bingle as it was only a week, then close to 6 weeks without the car.

Would like to know who many others have experienced this.

Also interested as to why you guys think the cold air intake has something to do with the problem?

EDIT: Forgot to add. She lives at the bottom of a rather steep hill on a busy street. The lack of power can be pretty dangerous so i'd like to try to reduce the impact it has.

Edited by nick evans

One way to get around the problem is maybe to start the car a few minutes before you actually start driving to bring it slightly up to temp.

The cold air intake is a bit of a problem with the lower rpm due to the 'lag' and the size of the piping. I usually give my car a little squirt to 4K rpm before reversing out as I find that it frees up the car quite a fair bit.

Sounds like it's worse than what people with a CAI experience, it sounds like it just won't move at all, or there's a very big delay in response on take off.

I would ask Toyota to run a diagnostic and also give particular attention to the MAF seeing the airbox was damaged in the accident.

And as silly as it sounds, may also be the incorrect grade of engine oil in the motor.

Its normal, happens to mine all the time when its cold.

Its easiest to let it warm up a little bit, but when i've been in a real hurry i've found that its works to give it a big rev and slip the clutch out and it wont bog down as much. Not much you can do to stop it really, just warm up before tackling the hill.

I took my snorkel out, and have found that on cold/cool mornings, the car is sluggish, especially when in low revs in any gear. My suggestion is stay in gear longer (not too long, m'kay), and see if the car becomes more responsive. That may tell you the crack in the airbox is too big... or something...

Good to know other people get it i guess.

It's got the mesh air flow straightener pre AFM.

I really don't think you should have to warm up a 5yr old performancish car before driving it.

I think it needs a trip to Toyota for diagnostics.

Has anyone else who's experienced this tried to get Toyota to remedy it or diagnose the issue before?

I really don't think you should have to warm up a 5yr old performancish car before driving it.

You don't have to, but it is advised to take it gently for the first few minutes, which is pretty much the same thing.

Why don't you try taking straight to 8K rpm when its cold?? I'm sure it won't even make it pass 7K, cause the engine is cold.

It's got the mesh air flow straightener pre AFM.

I haven't tried to drive the Sportivo with the mesh before, but I would get the 2zz fin and see how that goes. I'd try that before getting Toyota to do a diagnostics on it.

It sounds like it hasn't had the recall work done if it still has the mesh type straightener as its one of the items that gets replaced....

So the 2ZZGE motor is meant to have the straight fin type air straightener?

Or are you talking about model codes. The ZZE123 was recalled and had the air straightener changed?

What other recalls should have been done. And do Toyota keep a record of this when the recalls are performed?

Thanks for the advice so far.

So the 2ZZGE motor is meant to have the straight fin type air straightener?

Or are you talking about model codes. The ZZE123 was recalled and had the air straightener changed?

What other recalls should have been done. And do Toyota keep a record of this when the recalls are performed?

Thanks for the advice so far.

Yes the 2zz engined Corollas (zze123) had the single fin in the airbox just before the MAFS.

Other unofficial recalls included the clutch adjustment (if needed) and brake rotors (if needed). And Toyota should have a record of what recalls have been done. Also, you could look on the drivers side, where the A piller comes down into the door opening to see if you have the recall sticker. Thats where mine is, so if anyone else knows of other locations...

Quick question -

I don't think any recalls have been done on my car, cause i can't find a sticker.. And my car is now 4-5 years old and out of warranty..

If i go to toyota and request the recall be done to my car, are they going to try charge me for it as i'm out of warranty? or what?

Cheers Guys

Quick question -

I don't think any recalls have been done on my car, cause i can't find a sticker.. And my car is now 4-5 years old and out of warranty..

If i go to toyota and request the recall be done to my car, are they going to try charge me for it as i'm out of warranty? or what?

Cheers Guys

the particular recall that the guys are refering to i.e. the new ecu and air filter straightener (wat ever u call it) was a compulsory recall as the car isnt ADR approved if the recall has not been done. So for this recall no toyota will not charge u.

Regarding not having the sticker neither did my car even though i personally dropped it off to get the recall done ...... ur best bet is ring up toyota customer service and ask them to check for u if the recall has been done or not as u couldnt find the sticker.

for all the other stuff like gear selector cables, clutch adjustment etc these unless the dealership is being kind u will get charged for them.