motors

iam a new toyota corolla owner and iam actually in the process of "pimpin" so to speak myne out....i had the 4ac motor as original in myne and now ive just gotten a 4afe motor ....but i was looking for sumthing more powerful and was wondering how much work it actally was to put in the 3sge ? if anyone has sucessfully put one in an ae82 corolla let me kno how it went is it worth it???? cheers bek

Edited by ae82luvin

you would want the 20 valve 4age out of the newer levins

the 3sge would require some work to get, best leave this to the celica and camry boys, the 4age uses the same mounts

a rule of thumb with toyota engines is that you look at the letter after the number, that means its pretty much a drop in, using the same engine mounts.

in the case of the older corollas, its an "a" series

Yeah do a 20valve- black top or silver top, different people will tell u what they favour, personally the black to is the better. SSS or ichbarn sell half cuts for $1600 from memory, exhaust needs to be modded from memory thats probably the hardest bit, and the expensive bit is paying some-one to do the wiring about $600.

You could always supercharge it....a GZE?

Good thing about these engines is how well they go in a rolla, you start puttin turbos etc etc in a corolla, and you will be forever spending money maintaining it.

Cheers Bec

you start puttin turbos etc etc in a corolla, and you will be forever spending money maintaining it.

Cheers Bec

stop spreading harsh rumors bec and taking away the fun from the guy ...... where would u ever get an idea like this :P :P :P :P

• 2 weeks later...

im havin some same issues my 86 rolla is aus model so its fun i get to mod it up from scratch cheaper than i thought actually all im stressing bout is the engine and ive researched it a bit and i dunno, if u go for a 4ag in any form might be hard to find as they imports but i wouldnt kno, so where would u even get the engine, anyone kno?

also, if u get a 4ag 16v can u tune it enough without putting on a turbo or charger so it runs like a rac engine or near to without damaging the engine? just curious, ps. corollas own -_- :P

i might know almost nothing about racing in general, but dont racecars (the teams with the big$$$) end up replacing their engines after each race? if so, then y would you wanna run your car that way?

not really, but they do take it to the limit every corner every lap for 20-30 something laps + time trials + trial laps.

i don't think they replace it every race. my old man's mate used to drive for beemar in the macau open, they recondition it 3-5 times depending on how the engine copes after a race b4 replacing majority of its components.

so where would u even get the engine, anyone kno?

http://www.sssautomotive.com.au/Engines/toyota.htm

i might know almost nothing about racing in general, but dont racecars (the teams with the big$$$) end up replacing their engines after each race? if so, then y would you wanna run your car that way?

depending on the motorsport i.e. drag racing, rally, circuit etc etc depends on what they need to do after a meet/race ..... i know for drag cars that different engine components only last X number of runs so pretty much the thing is being rebuilt regularly ...... During a rally even i doubt they would have time to rebuild the engine between stages but @ the end of a stage im pretty sure it would get stripped down and re-assembled ...... a friend of mine is a mechanic for one of the teams that runs in bathurst and after a weekend/meet they pretty much pull a majority of the car appart and re-assemble it to make sure everything is torqued correctly and that all is running fine

The 20v Silver/Blacktops have proven to be better straight out of the box (my mates clubman has a silvertop in it).

The 16v 4AGE's however seem to have more bang for buck if you have some cash to spend on souping the motor up. You're up for big $$$ apparently if you meddle with the 20v's.

wow awesome they actually have the 4a's on that site but they dont have the 16v :( i know almost nothing about the the 20v aside from its big has 20v and comes in black or silver :|

if ur really interested maybe pick up the phone n call as they may be able to get one or know were u can get one ;) ;) ;) ;) just a thought ......

Guest dong-soo
im havin some same issues my 86 rolla is aus model so its fun i get to mod it up from scratch cheaper than i thought actually all im stressing bout is the engine and ive researched it a bit and i dunno, if u go for a 4ag in any form might be hard to find as they imports but i wouldnt kno, so where would u even get the engine, anyone kno?

also, if u get a 4ag 16v can u tune it enough without putting on a turbo or charger so it runs like a rac engine or near to without damaging the engine? just curious, ps. corollas own -_- :P

uh... yah...

most REAL race cars are NA tuned... looket carerra GT3s for example, one of the worlds greatest cars and it is NA tune. basically a 3.8 porsche engine that is brought down to 3.6 capacity (for bore strenght from momory) and tuned very hard to have an amazing output.

my smallport 4age in my trueno is lightly tuned NA engine that i rebuilt, its surprising the things it can take down.

dont overlook NA tune, and dont overlook 16v 4age engines. a modded 20v and 16v can make the same power, just the 20v makes more from the factory.

16v engines were used in formula atlantic for 240ps. thats about 150ps per liter !! (im half asleep so dont rust my maths)

Guest dong-soo
nawww i dun wanna drive a subaru i wanna drive a toyota lolol

ey seriously annoyed here im researching the T series diff and i cant find info on them anywhere or where to even get one whats the deal?

t series is the diff used on all 4age equiped sprinters and also te71 and te72 "t18's"

your car doesnt need a diff upgrade yet. u can put in a 20v or 16 4age and u dont need to upgrade other than if u want an lsd or a better diff ratio (such as 4.3 to 1)...

dont over think. think of one thing at a time and focus on it.

for your sprinter just upgrade springs and shocks for now and learn to drive well with a 4a-c.. then in time focus on other areas such as a 4age and then think of diff.

but i was looking for sumthing more powerful and was wondering how much work it actally was to put in the 3sge ? if anyone has sucessfully put one in an ae82 corolla let me kno how it went is it worth it???? cheers bek

Bek, to answer your question - a 3SGTE has been put into an AE82 ([Mikey] from the early Toymods days) successfully but from memory, required quite a bit of work, work that shouldn't be done by someone who doesn't or wouldn't know how to do it themselves.

Edit: just did a quick search on Toymods and found this thread - http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.p...te+ae82+corolla.

Edited by lucida

• 2 years later...

hey, i have a 94 model corolla with a 4afe engine thats been turned into a stock car. i was wondering is there any way to get more power out of the engine as i cant go to the 4age? im thinking mabe a piggy back ecu, bigger injectors an some kind of cold air intake.

hey, i have a 94 model corolla with a 4afe engine thats been turned into a stock car. i was wondering is there any way to get more power out of the engine as i cant go to the 4age? im thinking mabe a piggy back ecu, bigger injectors an some kind of cold air intake.

this is interesting :-

Toyota never made a wide-valve angle 7A-GE based on the 7A, but many enthusiasts have created one using a combination of 7A-FE parts (block, crank, rods) and 4A-GE parts (head, pistons). Likewise, an unofficial supercharged "7A-GZE" could be built from 7A-FE and 4A-GZE parts.

hmmm a 7a-gze keke