Parking sensors

Cookie

Dealer is happy to fit the rear but says they have had problems with the front ones. Anyone had any issues with them?

Prices quoted through dealer? Mine is saying ~ $1k for both.

Do the front and rear sensors really help a great deal with parking?

Thanks

Dealer is happy to fit the rear but says they have had problems with the front ones. Anyone had any issues with them?

Prices quoted through dealer? Mine is saying ~ $1k for both.

Thanks

I had problems with the satnav/stereo at first. There is an additional wiring harness used between the satnav and front sensors; the 1 fitted was faulty. After it was replaced there was no problems.

I think the price was around $1k for both as well.

The front sensors help more than the rear, at least there you have a camera. Great when in tight places.

We're now getting both the front and rear sensors fitted. The dealer told me the front sensors hook into the speed sensor of the car, and automaticallly turn on if the car is travelling less than 10km an hour.

Is this true? I thought someone here said they had to manually switch theirs on and off.

Around 1k for front and back fitted sounds about right BTW.

In my humble opinion they do. You're quite high up in the Kluger, and not as likely to see an object low to the ground such as a pole or tap. You might see an object in the reverse cam, but if its off to one side, you might miss it completely.

I think the front sensors are very good to have. Its hard to judge the distance when you cant really see the end. Its great when trying to swing into a tight parking spot. 1K sounds pretty close to the mark. The front sensors have an on/off switch that you really need especially when you have already parked the car close enough for the sensors to come on and you want to stay in the car with the engine on. Believe me it happens very often and rather than having them beep away you can just turn them off. You have to remember to turn them back on though. What the salesman probably means that the sensors are automatically de-activated when doing over 10kmh which makes sense, you dont want them going off when travelling in traffic.

Hi Mikey,

Thinking of getting these front sensors installed. I have limited experience with parking sensors and have only seen them work once before. Can you please tell me more about how they work in the Kluger? I heard its only an audio guide with a series of beeps. How far do you have to be away from the object before it continiously beeps? I am trying to figure out what is the closest you can get to an object before it sends out the same beep?

With only two sensors on either side of the bumper is there enough 'coverage' at the mid point of the bumper?

Any insight you can share will great. Its always better to learn from real world application rather than from a salesperson.

Thanks,

Ray.

Mine are also genuine Toyota and in the same position as MRBISHI.

You can see them on the Toyota website under accessories.

http://www.toyota.com.au/toyota/vehicle/Ac...51_1732,00.html

Hi Mikey,

Thinking of getting these front sensors installed. I have limited experience with parking sensors and have only seen them work once before. Can you please tell me more about how they work in the Kluger? I heard its only an audio guide with a series of beeps. How far do you have to be away from the object before it continiously beeps? I am trying to figure out what is the closest you can get to an object before it sends out the same beep?

With only two sensors on either side of the bumper is there enough 'coverage' at the mid point of the bumper?

Any insight you can share will great. Its always better to learn from real world application rather than from a salesperson.

Thanks,

Ray.

Attached are a couple of relevent pages from the manual.

Hi Mikeboy,

Which manual? The pages you posted are not in the manuals supplied with the new car. Is this the Toyota Workshop Manual?

Those pages were from "Front Corner Parking Assistance System Owner's Manual". There is also a separate "Reverse Parking Assistance System Owner's Manual".

They came with the car, as these were both fitted on delivery.

Just to let you know, the warning buzzer for the front is somewhere under the dash and the warning buzzer for the rear is somewhere at the back of the car so you know which sensor is activated.

Thank you for your reply. I have had the front sensors fitted just under two weeks after delivery of the new car but no manual was supplied. Recently, they did not activate (had them switched on) when test parking which was a little disappointing. Did you have similar experience/s?. Will ask Toyota to supply the manual and meantime will test as per the page you kindly posted.

Those pages were from "Front Corner Parking Assistance System Owner's Manual". There is also a separate "Reverse Parking Assistance System Owner's Manual".

They came with the car, as these were both fitted on delivery.

Just to let you know, the warning buzzer for the front is somewhere under the dash and the warning buzzer for the rear is somewhere at the back of the car so you know which sensor is activated.

I have ordered front sensors with the car, which I picked up the day before yesterday. The dealer supplied manuals (both for front and back sensors), demonstrated me the switch in the cabin, demonstrated (by walking in front of and behind the car) different tones sensors emit and insisted on doing 2-3 parkings with me to ensure I know how to use them.

So far they work OK; however I've got some questions, e.g. they seem to pick up obstacles near the front corners of the car earlier than those straight in front; I feel that that is the way they are positioned (so not to pick up the nudge bar); also when I stop in the traffic lights with front sensors on, sometimes they beep (looks like they're picking up a car ahead). Once they did not stop beeping when the car ahead departed; might be wrong here though because this car has so many gadgets inside! Didn't do it sinse.

Thank you for your reply. I have had the front sensors fitted just under two weeks after delivery of the new car but no manual was supplied. Recently, they did not activate (had them switched on) when test parking which was a little disappointing. Did you have similar experience/s?. Will ask Toyota to supply the manual and meantime will test as per the page you kindly posted.

• 1 month later...

This is part of email I received from Toyota Australia when queried about the parking sensor manual which was not supplied to me. In my email to Toyota I attached two pages of the manual kindly posted earlier by a member of this group

I believe the pages you have received come from some sort of installation manual which is only used by Toyota dealers as they install the parking sensors. As previously stated, we are happy to help with any specific questions relating to the system installed, but there is not an Owner's Manual as such available to the public. Reading the documents you sent, they do give a fairly detailed run-down of the operation of the sensors. Please also bear in mind the sensors are there to assist in parking, and do not take the place of commonsense and the usual caution that should be exercised whilst operating a vehicle.

Unquote

It is not crucial for me to have the manual but it would have been nice to have a complete set of manuals for the car

This is part of email I received from Toyota Australia when queried about the parking sensor manual which was not supplied to me. In my email to Toyota I attached two pages of the manual kindly posted earlier by a member of this group

I believe the pages you have received come from some sort of installation manual which is only used by Toyota dealers as they install the parking sensors. As previously stated, we are happy to help with any specific questions relating to the system installed, but there is not an Owner's Manual as such available to the public. Reading the documents you sent, they do give a fairly detailed run-down of the operation of the sensors. Please also bear in mind the sensors are there to assist in parking, and do not take the place of commonsense and the usual caution that should be exercised whilst operating a vehicle.

Unquote

It is not crucial for me to have the manual but it would have been nice to have a complete set of manuals for the car

I got a few pages manual when pickup the car, the front sensor is quite useful.

Newbie...

I had non-genuine sensors fitted by the Toyota dealer on their recommendation at the time of purchase. The back sensors auto-activate when selecting "Reverse", and do not function whilst driving. The front sensors are always on, unless you decide to manually deactive the unit (easily done / press of a button). I have a little sensor indicator next to my mirror (again, will provide photo's when I have a chance), that provides a graphical representation of which sensor is picking up the object and it provides distance from approx 1.5m onwards.

Pro's:

The car is definately big, Even after having the car for close to a month now I find it actually quite difficult to tell where the car ends, so I do really depend on the sensors when parking.

I have checked the accuracy of the sensors, and it is pretty much spot on.

Con's

I am yet to have my first service (complimentary 1000kms - I am already closer to 2K, but apparently you have until 5K to get it done). My *ONLY* gripe with this wonderful car is about the sensor kit - and I cant blame Toyota as it is not genuine. The problem is that the sensor kit picks up ghosts even at high speed. I often switch the sensor unit off when this happens, and then it is dead until you happen to either re-activate manually or it will reactive when next you decide to reverse. I make a point of keeping the car clean, and especially the area around the sensors clean - so really hoping they will get this sorted @ first service....

I suppose the two front / side on sensors have their place when you are parking, but the unit beeps when objects <50cm and the unit will therefore almost certainly detect your garage walls & hedges - not fun when the kids are sleeping / annoying preiodd.. In regard to the front side sensors I find myself unsure of the value...

I think one of the benefits of having sensors is to 1) avoid parking issues, and 2) avoiding crashing into a car in front of you for whatever reason. The front sensors only start beeping when you are about <1m away from the object. No matter what speed you are travelling at, you cover 1m pretty fast - so the lack of being able to configure the unit to say * beep once if an object is 3m away when travelling faster than 30kms * effectively voids scenario (2), leaving me to wonder why bother having the unit on whilst driving at all.

Considerations:

Toyota original tow kit sticks out quite a bit - measure this - the length will surprise you and keep this in mind when parking...

Overall, as annoying as the side beeps may be, I still recommend having the sensor kit - you need it for parking, and I am hesitant to rely on the camera for judging distance. Based on my experience, I would not include the side sensors if given a choice - more of a annoyance than a help. I called the dealer about "detecting ghosts", and he assured me they will have it sorted at service. I will ask a couple of questions about being able to configure scenarios on the unit, but dont believe I am going to like the answer. I would be interested in how the orignal sensor kits cope with above scenarios...

Hi Mikey,

Thanks,

Ray.

Hi Mikeboy,

Toyota insists there is no such manual available to public (I take it they mean owners). Would you be good enough to post the title page only ("Front Corner Parking Assistance System Owner's Manual") which I could onpass to Toyota emphasising the words "owners manual" and not a service manual. It would help my cause a bit (I simply want a full set of manuals for my new car). I fail to understand why is Toyota so uncooperative if there is such a manual and reading the posts here, it seems obvious it is available

Regards

Hi Mikey,

Thanks,

Ray.

Hi Mikeboy,

Toyota insists there is no such manual available to public (I take it they mean owners). Would you be good enough to post the title page only ("Front Corner Parking Assistance System Owner's Manual") which I could onpass to Toyota emphasising the words "owners manual" and not a service manual. It would help my cause a bit (I simply want a full set of manuals for my new car). I fail to understand why is Toyota so uncooperative if there is such a manual and reading the posts here, it seems obvious it is available

Regards

There are manuls available to public !

They come with every fitting kit.

Once sensors are fitted instructions are stored in the glovebox (As requested by Toyota)

That how it is done where i work................

Once sensors are fitted instructions are stored in the glovebox (As requested by Toyota)

That's where they were - both front and back...

That's where they were - both front and back...

B)

We're now getting both the front and rear sensors fitted. The dealer told me the front sensors hook into the speed sensor of the car, and automaticallly turn on if the car is travelling less than 10km an hour.

Is this true? I thought someone here said they had to manually switch theirs on and off.

Around 1k for front and back fitted sounds about right BTW.

This is true as you don't want rain/snow/dirt/splattered bugs triggering the front sensors when you're doing >10km/h which isn't really parking speeds but there should be a switch to turn them off for times when you're in the city and there's people walking in front of the car. They will turn back on if you restart the engine so default mode will be on. Though the genuine ones will not trigger a fault warning easily even if it did have bugs/dirt/snow on them so it's not as simple as the aftermarket people think by putting rear parking sensors to the front.

Btw, they are corner sensors, not front parking sensors so don't use them to judge how close you are to the car in front.