Revs speeds, 1991 paseo

Daffy01

Ok i just got a 1991 paseo, and i noticed the rev idle speed it around 1200 mark. Is it normal, as i see that the redline is at 7k, as normal cars only have a 6k redline???

And what things should i be looking out for?? And body kits and stuff, any ideas for them??

Thanks

TRD.jpg

Hey, although I'm not the Paseo genius on here I did own one and i think 1.2k is about normal for when its cold - in fact thats about standard for most cars.

In terms of mods you have eBay, and a few shops do stuff for them (like X Racing).

Google around and see what you can find! Your Pas looks pretty nice though, maybe lowerage, exhaust and/or an intake (SRI or CAI)

Mine idles about 1500 when cold and 900-1000 when warm which I would call fine, I don't even know what the factory spec is for idle but it sounds right for a little 1.5L. Your car is nice looking it must have low K's, I'd be too embarrassed to post up a pic of my 91 Paseo here it looks like a wreck compared to yours.

EDIT: Yeah they rev high wikipedia says 100hp @ 6400rpm, although I probably wouldnt rev my old Paseo over 5500... on the subject remember when I was into Dattos the enthusiasts on the forum would often say the stock 1.6, 1.8 and 2L Datto engines happily revved over 7000 rpm and some even 8000 although anything over about 4500 was only noise as the torque peaked then. Apparently they had a tough 'bottom end' which could handle the revs (?)

Edited by Paseo91

Mine idles about 1500 when cold and 900-1000 when warm which I would call fine, I don't even know what the factory spec is for idle but it sounds right for a little 1.5L. Your car is nice looking it must have low K's, I'd be too embarrassed to post up a pic of my 91 Paseo here it looks like a wreck compared to yours.

EDIT: Yeah they rev high wikipedia says 100hp @ 6400rpm, although I probably wouldnt rev my old Paseo over 5500... on the subject remember when I was into Dattos the enthusiasts on the forum would often say the stock 1.6, 1.8 and 2L Datto engines happily revved over 7000 rpm and some even 8000 although anything over about 4500 was only noise as the torque peaked then. Apparently they had a tough 'bottom end' which could handle the revs (?)

My 96 paseo use to get pushed to the Rev limiter on a regular basis, although peak power comes in a bit before it. The Toyota engine can handle it, but myn was a bit younger then yours :P

And yes the Datto's loved to be abused - one of my clients use to have one with a dual webber carb in his 500 that went hard, apparently they make very good rally cars.

Edited by Seano

Your car is nice looking it must have low K's, I'd be too embarrassed to post up a pic of my 91 Paseo here it looks like a wreck compared to yours.

lol, thanks mate, but mine has done 319k km's. And i got it for less then $2k. It had a lady owner, and serviced and looked after very well! The inside is mint too. Just a little dryied out on the dash, but what do you expect for a car that is 17 years old. :P

Your car is nice looking it must have low K's, I'd be too embarrassed to post up a pic of my 91 Paseo here it looks like a wreck compared to yours.

lol, thanks mate, but mine has done 319k km's. And i got it for less then $2k. It had a lady owner, and serviced and looked after very well! The inside is mint too. Just a little dryied out on the dash, but what do you expect for a car that is 17 years old. :P

319,000 ks!!! How did she do it? Keep it garaged at all times... mine has 259,000ks and has already been repainted on the roof. Hmm my interior looks almost new also, Toyota must have designed the interiors well

• 4 months later...

hey,

i have a 1992 paseo its done 168 000km

i prefer your colour over mine, ive got turquoise :(

ive found that mine idles high pretty much always just over 1000rpm

as for taking it over 5500 rpm ive found that mine runs best just after this so yeahh

oh and abouttaking it to the limiter, is that bad :S :P

hey,

i have a 1992 paseo its done 168 000km

i prefer your colour over mine, ive got turquoise :(

ive found that mine idles high pretty much always just over 1000rpm

as for taking it over 5500 rpm ive found that mine runs best just after this so yeahh

oh and abouttaking it to the limiter, is that bad :S :P

Cold morning should be around the 1300-1500 mark, warmed up and no lights/fan on should be around 900 and warmed up with some current draw should be around 1100. I wouldn't be hitting the rev limiter too often unless you're prepared to pay for some engine problems when they eventually happen. I never really find a need to go over 4500rpm, plenty of peak power to be found around there.

• 6 months later...

319,000 ks!!! How did she do it? Keep it garaged at all times... mine has 259,000ks and has already been repainted on the roof. Hmm my interior looks almost new also, Toyota must have designed the interiors well

WOW you think 319k is low mine has only don 147,000ks i bpught her a year ago and paid $4999 :( But i love her the engine still looks brand new and she runs like a train! idles at 1200 cold then drops back to 1000 when warm all the power is over 4000revs

hehe mine idles at 2000~, it was about 700-1000 when i got it but once i put in a couple of amps it kept feeling like its going to die, so i turned up the idle, solved my gear changing lag (its automatic) and dont get roll back anymore, well that much roll back. But slow as a slug when i got the aircon running max and music up pretty high (only when its in the middle of the day and doesnt distrub anyone) but i still love it.

Mines on 256000km and runs fine, engine is great but the body needs a little TLC

Hey guys, i just got myself a 96 paseo and i was wondering, is it normal for it to rev at 3200rpm while doing 100km/h in 5th gear? I think it's a bit too high but i could be wrong for a car this age. Based an older post in another forum, the rev for that speed is 2750rpm.

Hey guys, i just got myself a 96 paseo and i was wondering, is it normal for it to rev at 3200rpm while doing 100km/h in 5th gear? I think it's a bit too high but i could be wrong for a car this age. Based an older post in another forum, the rev for that speed is 2750rpm.

My car does the same. I would assume that as every Paseo had the same gearbox that they would all be the same revs per speed....

My car does the same. I would assume that as every Paseo had the same gearbox that they would all be the same revs per speed....

Sounds just fine for a C-series box, just about every FWD Corolla out there does 3-3.5 @100 in 5th (and they just about all run C-series boxes, although maybe with slightly different ratios or final drives to the Paseos/Starlets)

• 3 months later...
Ok i just got a 1991 paseo, and i noticed the rev idle speed it around 1200 mark. Is it normal, as i see that the redline is at 7k, as normal cars only have a 6k redline???

And what things should i be looking out for?? And body kits and stuff, any ideas for them??

Thanks

TRD.jpg

thats the same rims i have :)!!!!