E10 Ethanol Blended Fuel

Hi all....

Newbie here... I just wanted to get a feel on what people think about filling up their cars with E10 fuel.

I realise the cars must be compatible for E10 but just wondering what the general consensus is with E10 fuel.

Cheers...

I have used it only once so my comment is hardly statistically credible, but I remember it ruining my economy on that occasion. I don't recall any power loss. I've been meaning to use it again (from a better outlet), but I haven't the money right now to afford paying so much for a potentially inferior product ;)

I've been using Shell V-Power Racing (E10 Blend) since a few weeks ago, and I did notice a significant increase in fuel economy now pushing up towards the 600km mark as opposed to the 550-500 i used to get :P

I'd use the 85% blends they use in south america if I could

No you wouldnt.

Do some research, you will find exactly how different cars in South America are compared to here.

i tried out the E10 at shell a few weeks back.

i thought ethanol was supposed to make petrol cheaper?

wasnt impressed with the milage i got from a full tank either.

has anyone used the normal E10 (93 octane) in their sportivo .....

if you have, how did it affect performance / mileage?

will it bugger up our engine?

Edited by steinny72

has anyone used the normal E10 (93 octane) in their sportivo .....

if you have, how did it affect performance / mileage?

If you did use it I would be driving very conservativly as our cars stock require at least 95 ron.

i got E10 the other day just 10 liters to tide me over i could feel the car wasnt as responsive but it coulda been having a bad day but i got a discount on the fuel cause it had 10% ethanol in it only when i fill up at bp hornsby i get the discount though

and the stuff is gaurantee'd not to damage thefuel system so says the info i got in the store.

i wish i could get v power racing but no place around here seems to have it and i dont see it justifiable to drive out of my are just to get it.

and if you think south africa is bad try thailand thier cars apparently run on a fuel blend they dub just as benzene which is a fuel component here but in smaller quantity's and its extremly toxic

I noticed that a new United Petrol Station just opened up near my area, and this isn't just your normal United Petrol Station. This United is now selling Premium100 100 Octane Fuel with 10% Ethanol. I don't know what the prices are the same as Shell's V-Power Racing. I'm guessing it probably would be as it has more ethanol then Shell does (10% vs 5%). I'm a bit tempted to try it. My ZRE152 Corolla Manual probably get no benefits out of it.

Generally I only fill up ethanol once in a while or when prices for unleaded petrol sky rocketed for the week. I have noticed that on the Hyundai site, they recommend you that 1 in 5 tank fill is 100% petrol.

Even though Toyota says the new Corolla is compatibile with Ethanol blended fuel, its not wise to always fill up with Ethanol. Sometimes I noticed a bit of roughness when the engines revves.

Let me know on your thoughts.

I'd use the 85% blends they use in south america if I could

Deadset no joke here, there have been protests about the price of tortillas in Mexico.

Making ethanol out of various crops (incl corn) takes food from the mouths of the world's poorest.

They made us read an article about it in the Economic History course I have to do... Don't blame me, blame the crazy lecturer

i tried out the E10 at shell a few weeks back.

i thought ethanol was supposed to make petrol cheaper?

wasnt impressed with the milage i got from a full tank either.

I use Caltex E10 with a bottle of octane boost ~550kms per tank but I drive it pretty hard :nono:

I'll put 98 in around every half a dozens tanks though

Edited by snakesau

Deadset no joke here, there have been protests about the price of tortillas in Mexico.

Making ethanol out of various crops (incl corn) takes food from the mouths of the world's poorest.

They made us read an article about it in the Economic History course I have to do... Don't blame me, blame the crazy lecturer

Dude, tell me about it!! I was reading something crazy the other day about Venezuala... they pay around 2 c a litre due to huge government subsidies on fuel. Even though this leads to mass overcrowding on the roads, mass overpollution, and a phenomenal government budget deficit, they will not increase the price - purely because last time they tried it caused complete anarchy for weeks on end!!

Talk about an irrational mindset...

• 3 weeks later...
Even though Toyota says the new Corolla is compatibile with Ethanol blended fuel, its not wise to always fill up with Ethanol. Sometimes I noticed a bit of roughness when the engines revves.

Let me know on your thoughts.

yeah i have the new corlla and mum borrwed it and filled up with E10 since it says its suitable with corall and ive notice my accceleratio weak engine roars at a round 2000-3000 rpms whilst accelreating. im pretty sure its the E10. any 1 know if i should get the engine checked out by toyota see if its a mechanical problem?

People seem to be getting E10 petrol and V-Power Racing confused.

Both use ethanol, however one is 93 rated, and the other 100 rated.

Personally I only use Shell 100 Ron because of the nice little balls inside bouncing around when your filling the tank

Oh and it seems much more responsive

People seem to be getting E10 petrol and V-Power Racing confused.

Both use ethanol, however one is 93 rated, and the other 100 rated.

Personally I only use Shell 100 Ron because of the nice little balls inside bouncing around when your filling the tank

Oh and it seems much more responsive

I wouldnt put E10. I rather go up higher RON then trying E10. Heard many bad words already...hehe

Ethanol by nature disperses less energy compared to normal unleaded fuel. Although it has a higher RON of I think 94 as opposed to 91, this compromise does not yield to better mileage. So theoretically, E10 (10% ethanol blend) should give you marginally worse mileage as opposed to normal non-ethanol blended fuel.

Its purpose is probably weighted more on sustainability. It is a renewable energy source (biofuel). Every SINGLE effort counts when it comes to the environment.

Ethanol blended fuel should not damage any contemporary engines, although there are specific models of car manufacturers that are not able to run on them (mostly old models and supercars).

And, for you sports car owners, I would not recommend using Ethanol blended fuel unless there was some sort of non-ethanol fuel shortage world wide.

Manny

Edited by Emmanuel

Two dif experiances ...used E10 ethanol stuff few years agao from shell in a datsun powered morris Minor the car literally started idling rough snd stalling wihtin 10 minutes., I had to clean out the carby and put a carby kit on it twicve in the folowing month.

though in my last car a 4G63 engined RVR, I used the V-Power Racing , 100octane and got what I bleibve wass better fuel economy and certainly some mild benefits with power, it felt more smooth and effortless across the rev range.

dont know long term effects on fuel systems though....