Anyone addicted to Clay?

DHC09

Finally got around to detailing my car over the week end. The finish is so smooth I need to be careful closing the tail gate otherwise my hand slips off and I end up head butting the panel. It's amazing how much extra grime the clay removes and how smooth it feels afterwards.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

does anyone know where i can get just the clay bar?

have the quick detailer just need the clay bar.

if buying direct from Meguaries i was quoted over $70 for the bar alone.

have also gone to all the auto accessories places in town and still no luck .

Such a good product and need to do the car again.

does anyone know where i can get just the clay bar?

have the quick detailer just need the clay bar.

if buying direct from Meguaries i was quoted over $70 for the bar alone.

have also gone to all the auto accessories places in town and still no luck .

Such a good product and need to do the car again.

dont worry, i feel your pain.

the quote you recieved that was $70 was for a professional detailers bar that is made in the states. they are expensive and just not worth your money.

meguiar's are bringing out a clay replacement package as outlined here http://www.meguiars.com.au/Whats_Coming_09.htm

but for now you'll just have to source claybars from other companies.

the following are links to places on the web in which you can source claybars alone.

http://www.zas.com.au/browse.php?brand=-1&...;imageField.y=0

http://www.chemguys.com.au/Clay_Bar_Altern...y_block_kit.htm

http://www.glowridaz.com.au/shop/index.php...ex&cPath=18

http://www.zainobros.com.au/prod18.htm

www.carcareproducts.com.au

cheers

might i add this may be the most cost effective yet

http://www.zas.com.au/product.php?pid=171 - $20 for x2 100g bars

Edited by Wixy

thanks Wixy have you tried the zas clay bar kit ?

wow sorry for the last reply.

no i havent mainly because i still have some meg's clay to go. however, its guaranteed that i'll be getting them as a meg's replacement, as from what i've heard, its the no1 meg's clay replacement according to some car crazy meguiar's fans in aust.

the clay you get with meg's clay kit is only 70g. this is 200g so its worth it.

HOWEVER i must say, most light/mild graded clay are the same - its only when you are after moderate to heavy clay is when brands really do matter.

• 1 month later...
wtf is clay?

Does it cover up scratches or something?

It's like a soap bar for your car. It cleans all the stuff that a simple car wash sponge/mitt cannot remove.

Can I get this stuff locally? Like in autobarn or something similar?

I'm in Sydney, if that helps. if not I'll have to get it online

You can get a kit that includes the Meguiars Quick Detailer and a clay bar from Autobarn around $35.00. If possible go for the ultimate quick detailer kit.

Can I get this stuff locally? Like in autobarn or something similar?

I'm in Sydney, if that helps. if not I'll have to get it online

You can get a kit that includes the Meguiars Quick Detailer and a clay bar from Autobarn around $35.00. If possible go for the ultimate quick detailer kit.

I just got home ... on normal days, I'd go out and buy it now. But with this bloody rain, there's so many dumb drivers out there, I dont want to risk some accident.

How much is the ultimate detailer kit btw?

Im not sure if this has been covered already. But what happens to the clay after you have used it? Do we chuck it away or save it for next time?

I usually cut my clay bar into 3 to 4 pieces and use them up like that. If your car is not too bad, you only need 1/4 of the clay bar. You kneed it out then use it. As it picks up contaminants, you fold it in half, kneed it out again, and repeat. After you use the clay bar for a bit, it will get to the point where you can't use it anymore. That's when you throw it out. Check out this video for the basic process, just ignore the product branding:

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

Im not sure if this has been covered already. But what happens to the clay after you have used it? Do we chuck it away or save it for next time?

I usually cut my clay bar into 3 to 4 pieces and use them up like that. If your car is not too bad, you only need 1/4 of the clay bar. You kneed it out then use it. As it picks up contaminants, you fold it in half, kneed it out again, and repeat. After you use the clay bar for a bit, it will get to the point where you can't use it anymore. That's when you throw it out. Check out this video for the basic process, just ignore the product branding:

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

Nice link there!!

Thanks again!!!!!!!

Damn this thread ... it's made me want to go and buy some clay now

Anyone know of any places doing discounts atm,?

i think it was mentioned in the previous pages, but if your near Parklea markets, there is a stall that sells the other clay bar kit from `Mothers which costs $29 and includes a small bottle of 'Carnauba wax... retail price for this kit is $45 @ automotive stores

i've used both Meguiars & Mothers and cant fault anything between them.. both work the same, just that one comes with wax and the other comes with a slightly bit bigger clay bar... Either way tho, you'll be cheerin' with the results

hope that helps

where can i get it??? :unsure: and how do i apply it <_<

I went to Super cheap auto this evening (late night shopping) and got myself a Quik Clay kit and some micro fiber cloths. I paid $35 for it, comes with:

• Clay bar (100g)
  • Quik detailer (473ml)

Unfortunately it's forecast to rain up until Tuesday, so I wont be able to try it out over the weekend :(

I'll post some before and after pics once it's done.

I've gone from addicted to clay, to addicted to detailing :wacko: The problem with only doing clay is that it highlights all the surface defects, so you want to get rid of them. Then once they're gone you want to keep the surface in mint condition.

Grab some Meguiars NXT 2.0 wax as well as the clay to finish it off. It's kinda cool when you get water beading to the point when you stop at an intersection after the car has been sitting in the rain for a while and a wave of water runs over the windscreen.

Edited by Kesawi

I've gone from addicted to clay, to addicted to detailing :wacko: The problem with only doing clay is that it highlights all the surface defects, so you want to get rid of them. Then once they're gone you want to keep the surface in mint condition.

Grab some Meguiars NXT 2.0 wax as well as the clay to finish it off. It's kinda cool when you get water beading to the point when you stop at an intersection after the car has been sitting in the rain for a while and a wave of water runs over the windscreen.

There's actually 2 types of 2.0 wax, which one should I get? and whats the diff?

• NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 Paste
  • NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 Liquid

Cheers

There's actually 2 types of 2.0 wax, which one should I get? and whats the diff?

The liquid waxes are mainly for when you are applying them with a rotary machine (whatever you want to call it), and the paste is for hand applications. I use the paste because I like to apply my wax by hand especially on a freshly clayed surface. That feeling is mint.

The liquid waxes are mainly for when you are applying them with a rotary machine (whatever you want to call it), and the paste is for hand applications. I use the paste because I like to apply my wax by hand especially on a freshly clayed surface. That feeling is mint.

How much does the Tech wax (paste) normally cost?

How much does the Tech wax (paste) normally cost?

I've only bought it once. Lasted me all of the winter months waking it weekly. Cost me like $50 at the time. Now winter is returning, I will have to get back into it. I don't like the Tech Wax during summer. Doesn't seem to last as long.