Anyone addicted to Clay?

DHC09

I'm addicted and I think it's unhealthy. I really love using it and seeing the results, but when I use it, I get this hate feeling for it because I am really tired of having to use it.

Despite that hate, I still keep coming back for more. Is there a particular word/s to describe this addiction?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm addicted and I think it's unhealthy.

And there's something slightly worrying about the fact that this here addicts support group does more to convince us to continue the habit!

I'm an addict from way back :P have made no attempts at "curing" this addiction... :P

Always have at least 1 full claybar in my detailing ****nal, along with numerous bottles of quik detailer and final inspection (buy when their on sale ppl!)

claybars are great - clay the paintwork, windows, wipers, rims :P yes, im an addict.....

• 1 month later...

I see we have some new members in our little addiction group.

Will start todays sessions with something that happened a few weeks ago: was at a mates place and admiring how smooth the wood carving he recently bought, while a normal person would say "its smooth like a baby's bottom", I however, in true addict form said "...this feels freshly clayed..."

Yes, I still have a long way to go....

OMG I have become an addict too! :P i tried on half my bonnet then ended up having to do the full front part of my car! wax goes on soo easily and feels soo smooth!

one thing i have though is that sometimes after the claying there are some that stick on the paint in little spots and i find that i need to rub it abit harder to get it out. am i doing something wrong? or is it just the subborn dirt that holds that bit of clay back?

regardless i'm pretty happy with the finish! :)

byebye scratches and blemishes!

• 2 weeks later...

Another addict signing in lol.

maybe 3-4 weeks ago a mate and myself had a go at "claying" our cars.

Like DHC09 it was our first time so we were in shock at the difference it makes, the roof was the highlight lol

so this is my car, the reflections of crap everywhere kinda do the car no justice in the pics...so just look at the bonnet lol

4434039419_762e937eb6_b.jpg

and my mates roof lol....so stoked at how smooth it was...we kept sliding microfiber towels along it lol.

4434807130_3283fb210d_b.jpg

and his door...

4434802998_692da21126_b.jpg

so i have question. how often should you clay your car? i had a skim through the thread and i may have missed it.

its just my car looks like ***** after the rain these last two days + build up over the weeks and i wasn't sure if

its ok to go nuts and clay again.

cheers guys,

Phill

people recommend the start of every season. the first time is always the worst cuz the cars been hit with contaminants but the ones following should be more easier =)

man that rooftop is shiny as... too bad some parts of mine were etched (to the primer) with bird droppings bcuz my friend didn't look after it well =(

well done mate! :D

If your car lives outside I would recommend every 2 months. If it lives inside then every 4 months.

Another recommendation is to use the whole bar. Not only will it be faster and work better but if someone decides to throw your bar out between your uses then you wont have wasted your time being a tight ***** like me.

oh yeah did anyone after they were claying, had to rub harder to get off all the small specks of clay that was stuck on the car? :blink:

Your not using enough lube or spending enough time on foreplay(prep). Either way, she needs to be more wet before you massage vigorously enough to get it off.

Don't leave her in an unsatisfactory state. If you are going to rub her down do it right. The more time you spend massaging at an optimal lubrication level the better returns you will get when its time for your polish.

The same should be said when starting, let her warm up to an optimal level before you go hard and give it to her.

i thought i was doing it right, i was just following the boxes instructions, glide it over until its smooth and i reckon i used heaps of quik detailer. just had the habit of not lifting the clay off so it sticks there =_=... but the parts where i was sure the clay DID NOT stick still had some specks of clay on it. next time i'll do it i'll show it to u guys.

regardless, the finish showed up really well. i enjoy actually washing my car now knowing it won't scratch it like the stupid brush from the jet wash

i thought i was doing it right, i was just following the boxes instructions, glide it over until its smooth and i reckon i used heaps of quik detailer. just had the habit of not lifting the clay off so it sticks there =_=... but the parts where i was sure the clay DID NOT stick still had some specks of clay on it. next time i'll do it i'll show it to u guys.

regardless, the finish showed up really well. i enjoy actually washing my car now knowing it won't scratch it like the stupid brush from the jet wash

Wow. that wasn't the reply I was expecting at all. You must be very innocent minded.

Yeah, next time you do it to her then get some shots. Even some Point Of View video with a cam while your doing it would be nice.

Can i just say wow. I decided to buy a clay kit and give it a go. My jaw dropped when i stood back. It was like looking in a mirror, amazing and i still go to polish and wax it. Here's some pics.

P1100169.jpg

P1100170.jpg

damn, i'm jealous man, all you guys cars colour look really mint, mines got all chips and scratches and bird dropping itchings over it :(

Mine has a few chips on it to. Tho i use to work in a pannel shop and before i left i got very small pot of my paint so some small touch ups were made then a quick cut and polish blends em in.

so i have question. how often should you clay your car? i had a skim through the thread and i may have missed it.

its just my car looks like ***** after the rain these last two days + build up over the weeks and i wasn't sure if

its ok to go nuts and clay again.

Can't remember where I saw it originally, but it works for me, is after washing the car run your fingers over the car while they're wrapped in cling wrap. If it feels rough then time to clay. I find I need to clay the roof and bonnet every 2-3months, and the side panels every 6 months (horizontal surfaces seem to collect more crap). I also keep the old dirty clay bars for doing the windows.

• 1 month later...

+1 addicted to clay - just tried it for the first time and the results are amazing. The only problem now is that all the little imperfections in the paint are more obvious as the rest is so glass like.

buff it out more, r u saying some clay is getting stuck in the little cracks and stuff? thats what happened to mine, thats why u follow up with scratch X to buff them out :)

Good tip - I was so excited to get to the wax stage that I forgot to get the Scratch-X out. At first I thought the white dots on the bonnet was the undercoat but it was the clay getting caught in the small imperfections. I got most of that out with some elbow grease but there are also some chips that have been painted over by the previous owner that are now more obvious, its really just the bonnet section that's taken the worst of it and its not too bad but as I said its just the fact that the other bodywork is so clearly reflective now that highlights the imperfections.