Mazda mx5 or mx6

i have just decided to get like a real sports car after i purchased my toyota (camry or celica). I was pointed towards the mazda mx5 and mx6 because these 2 cars i have heard are quite quick and relatively cheap...my question is are they as reliable as toyota engines?? like can they take a thrashing and still survive? i know mx6's are cheaper but what do you guys think....the mx 5 or mx6 in terms of reliability and inexpensive parts/repairs if they need replacing?

cheers

nick

MX-6 is not a sportscar! It's just a two door 626 with the sh!tty 2.5L V6 economy engine. There's a guy at the hillclimb with one whom micky_tee and I are beating by 3-4 seconds per run.

MX-5 is a low-weight, stiff chassis with 50-50 weight distribution, revvy engine and RWD... That's a sportscar. You won't be disappointed with any variant. micky_tee's class record just got PWND by a bloke in a 1.8L model MX-5 with slicks (but no 141kW VVTLi).

Guest ddonggae

mx5 is a great car, get one.

they rival the toyota ae86 and beat it in EVERY aspect except for engine.

bp and b6 engines are hard to get parts for, and the output of the 1.6 going on power to weight is comparable to a 4afc engine.

other than that the mx5 is one of the worlds highest regarded cars.

The chassis in the MX-5 can easily handle more power, thats the only thing that is letting it down. I'm sure a 13B twin turbo would fit into that car :spiteful:

Don't even get started about the Ae86 being almighty... :ph34r:

I'm still laughing at all the people paying Takumi tax on it...hope I didn't offend anyone :yahoo:

Don't even get started about the Ae86 being almighty... :ph34r:

agreed.

mx5 outclasses it in almost every aspect !

It is also at least 2, and up to 25 years NEWER than the AE86.

AE86 lasted till 1987 in Japan, MX5 started in 1989. Of course the newer car is going to be better

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

a supercharged 1UZ V8 fits in the MX5... kind of... see Bullet cars ;)

Yeah seen em inthe flesh. Noice. CES does all the exhaust work for Bullit. Basciallly a space frame chassis from windscreen forward which makes it easy to fit V8.

MX5 is a great handling car but underpowered. What about a 2zz powered MX5??? that with a few mods(CAI, Exhaust) would be a very fun car to drive.

The mx5's are renowned for their handling ability, I agree. I've seen a fair few undergo turbocharging. Perhaps that's worth investigating as well.

a supercharged 1UZ V8 fits in the MX5... kind of... see Bullet cars ;)

Uber

mx6 coming with turbo and 4WS. its dependes which one suit u more, mazda parts can get very expensive sometimes.

i would personally rather buy sorer or supra. just better cars ;) the both coming twin turbo and none turbo. and ***! they both go hard :P

mx6 coming with turbo and 4WS. its dependes which one suit u more, mazda parts can get very expensive sometimes.

The older, boxier MX6 had turbo and 4WS, and they were HORRIBLE. The later MX6, which was badge-engineered into the Ford (anal) Probe, was non-turbo V6, and a hell of a lot better. Just a bit overweight tis all, but an excellent cruiser/tourer.

i would personally rather buy sorer or supra. just better cars ;) the both coming twin turbo and none turbo. and ***! they both go hard :P

i would prefer a supra bt supra cost more than 10gs....gen1 mx5s now go for less than 10gs...

Edited by wishbone

thanks for the input so far fellas.....come to think of it....does toyota make sports convertibles apart from the Mr2 spyder....coz the mr2 spyder is way out of my price range!!