Handling Nicely

CAP

This week I had my TRD front strut tower bar and rear stabiliser bar fitted, I had a little problem with the rear stabiliser at first ( It wasn't tightened enough and moving around under load-sounded shocking!) but now it's all good.

The car now corners flatter, turns in sharper and just feels so much more planted and safer whilst going through curves. Gone is the nervous twitchiness and pronounced body roll it had before - understeer is reduced. I'm running on standard Ascent/Conquest/Levin dampers - So I'm certain that it should feel even better with the stiffer Sportivo units. For those who love the twisties - I highly recommend this as the next upgrade after your springs, whether you choose TRD, Whiteline or C-One (Strut Brace).

Here's the pics.

I bet it handles great now! Gives it that little edge it needs to feel right no doubt.

When I looked at the second photo :o I wish my undercar area stayed that clean, mine looks like its had hot tar spilled all over it. :lol:

Great stuff though! You make 1zz owners proud! :D

If you dont mind me asking, how much did it all set you back?

Just a quick question for you, Zeerolla, after seeing your pics ... good stuff, by the way!

I notice you have a Remus muffler on your car, can I just ask what that one cost you and what difference its made to the car (performance/sound)?

Cheers.

Thanks for your help too E-gene - I know I ask alot of questions!

How do I keep my car so clean... Well I always wipe down the engine bay with chamous whenever I wash the car, I also hose down the undercarage with high pressure - especially when I've been on a dusty or gravel road - I know It's almost obsessive ! :lol: Plus, I mostly catch public transport during the week - so I drive it mostly on Weekends.

Skitzo/Cougs - I got them from Typhoon Motorsports - Thornton Cres, Mitcham VIC, Kcorro introduced me to them (www.tomsracing.com.au). Shipping from o/s took a month.

Front Strut Brace was $330 ( The C-One unit is cheaper, just as good if not better and looks quite cool - polished alloy ) - I wanted the TRD because it is finished in the Gunmetal.

Rear Stabiliser was $200

These may change with exchange rates, so Just speak to Eric and Scott.

Fitting was an additional $75, Although If you have a trolly jack and stands you can do it yourself - biggest challenge is to undo the bolts holding the stabiliser - Very tight.

Let them know you're from the Forum, they might be able to do a little better.

Buddha - The Remus was $850, not cheap. In terms of sound, at Idle and cruising it's close to standard - Just deeper and throatier, Only when you sink the clog does sound louder, but again not too loud just throatier and meaner. It doesn't drone. In terms of performance - It's increased mid-range torque (2000-4500 rpm). You notice it when you short shift and the car easily pulls in higher gears. Eg, You can cruise at 60km/h in 5th and easily gain speed when accelerating.

Just a quick question for you, Zeerolla, after seeing your pics ... good stuff, by the way!

I notice you have a Remus muffler on your car, can I just ask what that one cost you and what difference its made to the car (performance/sound)?

Cheers.

I can help on this question too :D

As IZZ-FE said, the car sounds similar whilst at idle, but somehow has that throatier sound to it, you really notice the exhaust whilst revving hard and high, sounds great! It doesnt drone at all and responds to how your driving, if your driving slow and softly.. the exhaust wont give off much noise, if you drive hard and fast then you will get a very nice tune out.

Performance wise, I felt it helped a little bit, but when you hear the responce the car gives when you accelerate it may just seem to make things seem better and not to much at all. :lol:

But remus developed the exhaust well, it SHOULD give better results, havnt been on a dyno to check however.

Buddha - The Remus was $850, not cheap.  In terms of sound, at Idle and cruising it's close to standard - Just deeper and throatier, Only when you sink the clog does sound louder, but again not too loud just throatier and meaner.  It doesn't drone.  In terms of performance - It's increased mid-range torque (2000-4500 rpm).  You notice it when you short shift and the car easily pulls in higher gears.  Eg, You can cruise at 60km/h in 5th and easily gain speed when accelerating.

Cool, thanks for that IZZ-FE, and sorry to you and Zeerolla for mixing the two of you up! :blink:

Buddha - The Remus was $850, not cheap.  In terms of sound, at Idle and cruising it's close to standard - Just deeper and throatier, Only when you sink the clog does sound louder, but again not too loud just throatier and meaner.  It doesn't drone.  In terms of performance - It's increased mid-range torque (2000-4500 rpm).  You notice it when you short shift and the car easily pulls in higher gears.  Eg, You can cruise at 60km/h in 5th and easily gain speed when accelerating.

Cool, thanks for that IZZ-FE, and sorry to you and Zeerolla for mixing the two of you up! :blink:

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

alright im ready to get me a front and rear struts... perhaps whiteline? does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should go?

I'm in Melbourne (Glen waverley) on weekends, and Geelong during the week.

And another question, with adjustable damper rate shocks, can all 4 be adjusted without removing the wheels? or is that dependent on what I get?

I thought the Whiteline rear swaybar is 22mm? The same as the TRD unit. It definitely is thicker than stock and slightly heavier.

Coughs do you mean strut bars or strut inserts? Whiteline only have a front strut bar. If you want a rear strut bar you need to get the TRD unit. Whiteline don't make their own struts or shocks, they use Koni Yellows adjustable shocks in their kits. The fronts are externally adjustable via the strut tops and the rear would require you to remove the wheels i think. They do have coilovers though if you have the greens, around $3000 but this setup is excellent.

Coughs do you mean strut bars or strut inserts?  Whiteline only have a front strut bar.  If you want a rear strut bar you need to get the TRD unit.

sorry i noob. hehe.

I'm ready to get front strut tower bar and rear stabiliser bar fitted, but dont know where to go.

you are saying i can't get rear strut via whiteline, what other brands do you recommend? Also, where do you suggest I go to get these parts?

hmm might have to pay Typhoon Motorsports a visit, but they seem to be quite dear.

Imek - You can purchase TRD stuff from Bruce @ TRDsales.com He is very helpful and has many international customers.

Cougs - I got Whiteline stuff from Revolution Racegear Wollongong and they shouldn't be expensive. Some other places also sell Whiteline products, just have to ask around but make sure they are genuine. With prices you can visit the Whiteline webstore and get a rough idea so you won't get too ripped off. Try these websites:

Suspension parts info

Whiteline

I've got the same setup but using Whiteline Control Springs ($320) (lowered 35mm), Strutbrace ($179), Rear swaybar ($190) and front camber bolt ($80).  Total cost approx. $770 not incl. labour.

How much was the labour then ?? :lol:

Some of our fellow club members have got the Koni sports suspension?? What is that??

1. Is that the one from Whiteline?? Is it from the Whiteline suspension kit??

2. By the way, any idea what's the Whiteline suspension kit about??

:rolleyes::lol:

Basically the Koni Sports Shocks can match either Koni/Kings or Whiteline Springs. The Whiteline setup is matched with control springs, front and rear swaybars, camber bolts, front strutbar, polyurethane bushes and new bump stops.

Labour costs depends on how much stuff you want to have fitted and varies a lot so better to check with your workshop.

Zee

I've got the same setup but using Whiteline Control Springs ($320) (lowered 35mm), Strutbrace ($179), Rear swaybar ($190) and front camber bolt ($80).  Total cost approx. $770 not incl. labour.

How much was the labour then ?? :lol:

Some of our fellow club members have got the Koni sports suspension?? What is that??

1. Is that the one from Whiteline?? Is it from the Whiteline suspension kit??

2. By the way, any idea what's the Whiteline suspension kit about??

:rolleyes::lol:

Konis come into 2 sport grades

red - short stroke sports

yellow - damping adjustability

I've got the Yellows, and are pretty great if you like to tune your ride. If your going for alittle touge fun or some twisties i set mine to about either 1/2 or 3/4 stiffness. But on the streets driving to and from work or just crusing i set the damping to 0 all the way soft for comfort.

Whiteline kits are AUSTRALIAN tuned kits for our cars. If you want suspension done I say buy true blue. They have experience like no other and continualy test their settings to match our conditions that we live in.

I'd preffer whiteline anyday over TRD, TIEN etc.. simply becuase they were properly designed for our driving pleasure.