Caltex Vortex

I was watching the V8s the other day and on Ingall's car it had 98 beside the spnsorship Vortex logo.  Then when i went to Caltex Stations they also have 98 beside the Vortex fuel logo.  Is it 98 Octane?

Yep, Vortex is now 98 octane ... they changed Ingall's number to 98 just for the Eastern Creek round as part of a promotion of the new Vortex fuel.

This is because of the halt in sale of lead replacement fuel, many oil companies are upgrading these now unused pumps to 98 octane and Caltex used the timing to launch the Vortex98 brand (I don't klnow much about it but I guess it is Vortex95 with added toluene to raise the RON). Hopefully this will lead to there being more 98 premium available in regonal Australia...

I was watching the V8s the other day and on Ingall's car it had 98 beside the spnsorship Vortex logo.  Then when i went to Caltex Stations they also have 98 beside the Vortex fuel logo.  Is it 98 Octane?

Yep, Vortex is now 98 octane ... they changed Ingall's number to 98 just for the Eastern Creek round as part of a promotion of the new Vortex fuel.

In addition, safeway will also be offering the same fuel (Vortex98) under its brand name.

Otherwise 98RON/Optimax users will go to Coles only and Safeway/Woolworths will lose customers.

I've just filled up yesterday with Vortex 98(48.55L - the rest previous from an BP ultimate).I'll see how much kms i can get from one tank. ;)

BTW - The only places I've seen Vortex 98 in Sydney is at the 2 M4 service stations B)

Edited by lorman

I've just filled up yesterday with Vortex 98(48.55L - the rest previous from an BP ultimate).I'll see how much kms i can get from one tank.  ;)

BTW - The only places I've seen Vortex 98 in Sydney is at the 2 M4 service stations B)

Just Filled up this morning, I did 572km before the fuel light went on. :) .

I avgerage about 580 to 600 with the other 98ron based fuels.

Mind you on this tank of Vortex 98, i had 2 races, 1 against a 92 SX rolla hatch and a 93 Civic sedan with a DC3 Integra Type R transplant!!!

I've just filled up yesterday with Vortex 98(48.55L - the rest previous from an BP ultimate).I'll see how much kms i can get from one tank.  ;)

Mind you on this tank of Vortex 98, i had 2 races, 1 against a 92 SX rolla hatch and a 93 Civic sedan with a DC3 Integra Type R transplant!!!

Any pinging with Vortex98? DC3 TypeR :blink: what is that? I know there is a DC2 and DC5, and how was the Civic's performance?

:lol:

Any pinging with Vortex98? DC3 TypeR :blink: what is that? I know there is a DC2 and DC5, and how was the Civic's performance?

not too sure about integra model numbering, but i think a 94-96 motor....

Pinging, i didn't notice.

The race against the the civic was a complete drivers race!!!! door handle to door handle stuff!!!!! :D . I let him go after i was in 7000rpm in 2nd! (roundabout was coming up!) got to a set traffic lights and we talk for 30sec... both parties we very suprised with what we did!!!!!