Lowering

depends

Hey all,

I've had my 05 Corolla for a little while now, and wouldn't mind lowering it. But what puts me off lowering it is a bumpy ride. Before this I had an Integra VTi-R, and it was lowered big time. Sure, it looked good, but the ride was bumpy.

Is there any way I can lower my Corolla but still have a smooth, comfortable ride?

Cheers!

Hey all,

I've had my 05 Corolla for a little while now, and wouldn't mind lowering it. But what puts me off lowering it is a bumpy ride. Before this I had an Integra VTi-R, and it was lowered big time. Sure, it looked good, but the ride was bumpy.

Is there any way I can lower my Corolla but still have a smooth, comfortable ride?

Cheers!

I don't think low and comfy go hand in hand somehow...

Expensive shocks?? Koni's or similar????

Im having the same problem.. I don't know what to do..

By the way, it's probably wort noting (having an ek civic before my corolla sportivo), that the reason your integra was so rocky was probably because your shocks were fully worn out from (most likely) your King Spring SuperLows. Putting lowered springs with the shocks you have now should be fine.

My best option so far looks like buyng Pedders springs (that I have heard are alot more of a smoother ride than King Springs) and putting them in myself or with a mate cause it's too expensive getting it done by pedders.

That's my opinion anyway - im not a pro :P

By the way, it's probably wort noting (having an ek civic before my corolla sportivo), that the reason your integra was so rocky was probably because your shocks were fully worn out from (most likely) your King Spring SuperLows. Putting lowered springs with the shocks you have now should be fine.

My best option so far looks like buyng Pedders springs (that I have heard are alot more of a smoother ride than King Springs) and putting them in myself or with a mate cause it's too expensive getting it done by pedders.

Pedders springs are King springs. They make them, paint them red and sell them to Pedders. Putting any lowered Springs on stock shocks in your Corolla will wear them out in a minimum of 10 000k's depending on how many K's you have already done. If your lucky they may last as much as 25 000k's but by then they will be leaking and your ride will be like a soggy lounge chair with handling to boot.

Kings springs are about $230 and KYB replacement struts(direct replacement of factory strut) are about $600. Or if you want koni's they're about $1100. These are the prices I can get these items for. RRP is a lot more than the prices I have quoted and these prices above I do for fellow TOCAU members only.

i will keep that in mind for when the time is right, SB :P

just wanted to clarify... are the kyb struts are made to suit the lowered springs or are they basically the same as the stockies?

Edited by J_J

You can get genuine stock shocks for about $76 each (trade) if I remember correctly...

You could just buy new ones every 25,000kms instead of expensive brands :lol:

you sure on that trade price??? Cause RRP for front struts for the sportivo was something like $330 each last time I inquired? that's a mighty big disc for trade!!

What about using stock springs with slightly stiffer shocks?? I'm kinda considering that at the moment as one of the options, or put up with the stiffer Teins sitting at home.

you could if you like but prolly need to change the badges on your car from Corolla to "Hilux" :toast:

King Lows on Standard shocks would give a decent ride still...

You are kidding right? :blink:

It's horrible... so much so that I'm thinking of going back to stock wheels and springs. I can't justify forking out for Koni's on a secondhand corolla...

Pedders springs are King springs. They make them, paint them red and sell them to Pedders. Putting any lowered Springs on stock shocks in your Corolla will wear them out in a minimum of 10 000k's depending on how many K's you have already done. If your lucky they may last as much as 25 000k's but by then they will be leaking and your ride will be like a soggy lounge chair with handling to boot.

Yer... no. I disagree man. Pedders are a linear spring (just like the stock springs) meaning that they are the same thickness all the way through whereas King Springs start and finish thinner and get thicker halfway through.

I HIGHLY doubt their painted Kings... and a lot of people would get 15'000 - 25'000 easy out of stock shocks easy!!

As I said, I'm no pro.. or stubborn :P.. but Iv been doing abit of research for the last couple of months and that's what I've found

Mate like I have posted on this topic a thousand times before but some people dunno how to use the search button which does start to get annoying with multiple threads doubling and tripling up on the same subject.

Pedder have only just started making thier own springs but not they still sublet some manufacturing of some springs out to the likes of Kings.

FYI King springs are both linear and progressive. Here is how they stand...

ZZE 122/3

KTFL 105L - linear (front lows)

KTFL 106L - progressive (rear lows)

KTFL105SL - progressive (front super lows)

KTRL106SL - progressive (rear super lows)

ZRE152R

KTFL119 - linear (low front)

KTRL120 - progressive (low rear)

All King springs are linear for the front and progressive on the rear apart from super lows to obviously try and give a softer ride. So yes you are half right about Kings springs. as for getting 15- 25 000km out of stock shocks on lowered springs you would only get that kind of mileage out of them if you put the springs in the car when it was brand new. Throw some springs in when you have already done say 40 000k's and it's a different story. Shock life will be shortened dramatically with the addition of springs at say this many k's. The more K's you have done before you put springs in the shorter the shocks will last with lowered springs.

hopefully this info will help in your research. :idea: