Kevin Rudd

Leroy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't that consistent with Leigh's inflation argument though? Eats into disposable income and limits consumer spending, thus lowering inflation? You won't be hearing me flame you if that's the case

Bingo - no flames.

Although raising taxes is a taboo topic for any government... doesn't win them anything in the popularity polls.

Better yet is that you don't have to raise taxes. Just DON'T GIVE TAX CUTS. Let the RBA do its thing first... instead of trying to be Mr Popular.

Edited by Leroy

Well I think the reason the inflation looks so high in that particular quarter is because the final rate rise came late, so it hasn't had time to take effect really. I imagine the target in the next quarter would be a nice drop in inflation and the housing market falling a bit etc.

I think it's a bit early to judge Kevin at the moment. The problems we're facing now (i.e. house prices/rent rates/mortgage rises/debts/inflation) is a result of the previous government not doing anything about it, long it was foreseen to happen but ol' Johnny refused to recognise it. Especially with the next election coming up he wanted to make the economy seem like all good and dandy.

I think Leroy is right in saying the lower class/mid class wants rates to rise just as the Government promised, but I believe that will slow down spending not increase it. I also think the Government should do all they can to avoid house prices going down due to the fact that if this happens, the rich will again use the money to invest into the fallen property prices and hold onto it until it rises again. This works in a cycle and causes rent to stay the same or go up more as people won't be able to purchases houses from the rich and are forced to rent, and leads to the old saying in many countries in this world 'the rich gets richer and the poor gets poorer'.

I believe us Australians are majorly struggling with credit debts. As Leroy said again, people think 'oh we can't buy a house, so we'll go buy a car and television instead'. These are what you call purchases with no returns, instead people should concentrate on paying off their mortgage (in reality guys, by the end of it you'll get house...and even if you don't gain much it is still worth it. at the end of the day shelter is shelter) or at least making a sound investment with likely returns such as blue chip shares.

I believe us Australians are majorly struggling with credit debts. As Leroy said again, people think 'oh we can't buy a house, so we'll go buy a car and television instead'. These are what you call purchases with no returns, instead people should concentrate on paying off their mortgage (in reality guys, by the end of it you'll get house...and even if you don't gain much it is still worth it. at the end of the day shelter is shelter) or at least making a sound investment with likely returns such as blue chip shares.

True. These are all consumption decisions of the general public so we expect these to be irrational. People do not always make decisions that are economically correct/viable. If they did we wouldn't have any problems to discuss :toast: For some reason, people here think that they "deserve" this or "deserve" that so they buy it, or, previously mentioned, they want to keep up with the Smith's and Jones'.

I think it's a bit early to judge Kevin at the moment. The problems we're facing now (i.e. house prices/rent rates/mortgage rises/debts/inflation) is a result of the previous government not doing anything about it, long it was foreseen to happen but ol' Johnny refused to recognise it. Especially with the next election coming up he wanted to make the economy seem like all good and dandy.

I think Leroy is right in saying the lower class/mid class wants rates to rise just as the Government promised, but I believe that will slow down spending not increase it. I also think the Government should do all they can to avoid house prices going down due to the fact that if this happens, the rich will again use the money to invest into the fallen property prices and hold onto it until it rises again. This works in a cycle and causes rent to stay the same or go up more as people won't be able to purchases houses from the rich and are forced to rent, and leads to the old saying in many countries in this world 'the rich gets richer and the poor gets poorer'.

Finally, an independent response! Thankyou, good sir.

First of all, I think you have misunderstood me. Lower classes do NOT want rates to rise, because it makes them poorer. And the whole point of raising rates is to slow spending.

Secondly, and more importantly, I refute that the economy was a ticking time bomb under Johnny. Rudd seems to have everyone convinced that we're all better off because Johnny was neglectful.

How is 12 yrs with not one major inflationary scare a bad situation? I like to think that that record speaks for itself.

Compare that with a new government trying to impress everyone with the lure of lovely tax cuts in its first year in office. How is that going to help? How is that going to make us any better off than what we were under the last - might I add, very stable - government?

(I'm also glad you agree that people should make their mortgages a priority instead of spending on disposable crap. But what I'm asking you, and everyone else, is how is giving the masses more money going to slow spending and inflation?)

I know that, and you know that...

...so why do it?

Come on Rudd supporters... show yourselves...

Dude he's clearly just trying to burn the candle at both ends and win public appreciation on both counts. It's politics.

Smart Rudd is Smart.

I'm waiting for the Dalai Lama to step down so he can come here and be our PM. That'd be epic.

There would be chaos with the economy as everyone will be too busy on the streets praying and promoting peace hahaha

Smart Rudd is Smart.

I'm waiting for the Dalai Lama to step down so he can come here and be our PM. That'd be epic.

There would be chaos with the economy as everyone will be too busy on the streets praying and promoting peace hahaha

We'd go back into the dark ages. That's so...cool.

I can finally meet Blackadder.

Bah, I'm not an economic nut.

But I like to voice my opinion on this little topic.

Kevin Rudd sure knows how to sell himself, I'd bet if he started telling people to re-finance with <INSERT FAVOURITE BANK> most people probably would lol

Tax cuts is what most people like to hear. Honestly I don't think an extra $50 a week will help that much, I'm probably going to get like $10 a week with those so called tax cuts and its probably going to go to straight to the M7 tolls. If you are running on such a tight budget then thats your own fault. If your not good with planning your finances then make sure you do your reading or consult a friend/professional on how to do it properly.

To all those families that are complaining that they are struggling, are you really doing everything in your power to stay on top of your finances? I would say most probably do not. If you do then I feel for you, and although everyone is in a different situation I sure most of them can do something about it.

I come from an Asian background and I've seen people that are not very well educated, have no professional qualifications still earn enough to cover everything. Only thing is they appear to work hard for it, something like 60 to 70 hours a week. You do what it takes to make it work, do not expect anyone to come to your rescue.

I absolutely hate people complaining about petrol prices yet drive a 5.7L V8 to work, I mean its a choice that you can make.

Drive a starlet and your insurance, subsequent running cost are practically halved!! Not that I drive one, lol.

Like I said pre election the Krudd govt will unravell all the good the Howard govt did within it's first half of term in office.

Krudd gets left with a huge surplus from the Howard govt yet cuts spending etc for instance to sporting clubs and community clubs(which are primarily benefitting the blue collar community). How do I know this?? I am involved in a couple of sporting clubs that under the previous govt put in proposals to get a chunk of money allocated to these such organisations. That fund has been slashed so drastically that the money left isn't worth applying for as their will just not be enough to go round. And no reason given as to why???

Krudd is cutting expenditure and jobs in the public servant sector to save money and reduce overheads? You hear a lot of how Krudd's govt is cutting this and doing that to save money etc but why??? When you have been given such a large surplus to start with and now cutting costs even more?? where is the money going??? Tax cuts makes me laugh as you will all get more in the pay packet but more will disappear out of the pay packet on mortgages, fuel etc to name a few.

The way I see it(and I don't care who or how you flame me)is the current govt is cutting expenditure in certain areas and trying to be seen as being proactive on issues such as environment, saying sorry and righting "wrongs" from the previous govt(supposedly) to make a big smoke screen to blind the general public of what is really going on. I hear it all the time of how Krudd is doing this and that I must admit he presents himself well to the public with his slick speeches and appearance but he is as cunning as a sh!t house rat and just a puppet in a bigger picture.

Cutting costs to save money when the budget is in surplus?? Obviously they don't trust themselves with all that extra $$$. It's like giving a teenage girl a credit card she doesn't have to pay back to spend in a clothing shop but telling her to spend it wisely? In a short time the card is maxed out and she has all she wants but doesn't have to worry about paying it off. That's the way the labour govt works. Get given the country in good shape, do whatever we want cause we can then in 3 years the country is a mess again in the event that they don't regain power the next govt can fix it up. Happens every time.....

As for the influence of unions behind the picture using Rudd, Gillard, Swan to get what they want(abolishing AWA's quick smart for one) and taking back the power they once held till Howard took it off them is happeing all over again......

That's exactly what Leroy wanted to hear :toast:

My sporting club was on the brink of getting a grant too but they got knocked back after the whole planning stage had taken place, I was under the impression it was local govt who made decisions like that though.

Anyway SB, well said

Edited by Tayles

From observations performed year by year, I've found that opinion can sometimes count very little in this world. The only loyalty I have is to myself and those around me. In saying that, one could say that I don't care, simply because one person can't change something on a large scale. 'People' can however.

Nice one SB!

ANother note, from a Defense perspective: ....

The cost cutting goes to Defense Force as well. The Howard Governemtn spends so much money on recruiting and trying to make the numbers up. Now there is major cost cutting. THis could potentially lead to the viscious cycle that the HOward goverment fought hard to claw back to 'normal':

- Less numbers

- Less training courses

- Less deployments

- Unhappy defense force....back at square one.

At least a good thing the RUdd Government did was to scrap the 'stop gap' HOrnet investment and go with the new fighter jets. Who knows when we'll get them though.

*Does not represent all personnel in defense force

Edited by RME1

Personally on a side note the Air force should bite the bullet and spend a small portion of what they are going to spend on new planes and buy up all the F111's sitting in the desert near Nevada for spare parts. Upgrading computer systems to compete with the latest and greatest is the easy part. Spare parts and the age of the aircraft were the reason they were scrapped and a lot of underhand deals too on the quiet. There are literally hundreds of them sitting in plane graveyards just doing nothing. They are a very solid plane and can be maintained with the technology available today easy as. ask the pilots off the record away from the media which plane they would rather fly!!!

They are the best fighter bomber we have ever had or ever will have. They can fly further, faster and carry more payload than any new plane on the market at the moment. Seeing as we are a remote location on the planet wouldn't it make sense to have planes of this ability?? the govt say it would cost too much but it is really only a small amount compared to buying new planes that to be honest no other country wants???

As far as the cost cutting on defence is concerned, Rudd lives a fairy land where I'm sure he thinks that we will never be attacked by some terrorist group or another country. Indonesia is on our door step and is a ticking time bomb. the unstableness of the country with the likes of the Islamic extremists(I'm in no way being negative towards Muslims cause I have a few who are very good friends of mine) and these splinter terrorist cells floating around it is only a matter of time. We've got stuff all planes, a handfull of tanks and heavy combat machinery, a few destroyers and friggits, and an army that is very small in number compared to the countries population.

In this day and age you can never be too certain what the future holds. Krudd is more interested in getting greenhouse emissions down and carbon offsetting for 15 plus years time instead of setting the wheels in place for the immediate future.

Once again, we're possibly only going to be here for 3 years so the next gov't can fix it.