Reversing Camera Image Startup

rzkman

Is there a way to disable the startup graphics? I am not sure if this is the reason why it takes so long for the reversing camera to come on.

Maybe I am impatient, but I find that I am already half way down my driveway by the time the reversing camera images come on the screen.

I guess it is just habit when you start the engine, put it in reverse and take off the handbrake, you just want to go...not sit around waiting for the image to come on.

Thanks,

Ray.

You are impatient Ray!

Yes I also want to disable the startup "I agree" screeen, but there is no answer to that at all (from this site or overseas).

I will be glad and thrilled if I am proven wrong ^_^

Two different things right Taka?

Disabling the "I agree" page before GPS can be used is one thing.

I am talking about the delay it takes between engine start and when the reversing camera will start working.

Yes I am impatient, but that is how I drive...and I suspect most people will do the same. Technology should work at my pace and not the other way around :-)

Two different things right Taka?

Disabling the "I agree" page before GPS can be used is one thing.

I am talking about the delay it takes between engine start and when the reversing camera will start working.

Yes I am impatient, but that is how I drive...and I suspect most people will do the same. Technology should work at my pace and not the other way around :-)

Ray, I'm the same and I here you loud and clear.

I've a 15 metre long drive way and I'm the high side of the road on hill.

I'm usually half way down that drive way after the roller doors gone up.

Until I think, STOP, there may be a walker or small kid behind.

Or even when I reverse from mycarpark at work, same trick.

The start up graphics were impressive in the show room when I was engulfed in IT visuals.

But now in the real world, they are just too damn slow towards releasing the rear camera display.

Yeepp, I'm impatient too.

Oh the Toyota logo. I got you there!

I reverse the Kluger into the garage so I do not see this problem a lot.

I thought when you put to R, wait 2 sec, it will come on. Was that 2 seconds too long???

The Grande of course shows the revering camera in the AVN, which comes on nearly straight away. However, KX-R and KX-S trip computer screens are more painful with the w@nk w@nk "Systems Check" animation that seems to drag on forever before the reversing image finally shows up.

Edited by pinzvidz

The Grande of course shows the revering camera in the AVN, which comes on nearly straight away. However, KX-R and KX-S trip computer screens are more painful with the w@nk w@nk "Systems Check" animation that seems to drag on forever before the reversing image finally shows up.

Not really. In my Grande, the AVN is blank as the "Systems Check" animation rolls through on the trip computer.

Only when it completes around 6-7 seconds later does the image show up on the AVN.

Its not 2 seconds Taka! :P

Edited by rzkman

I find the grande one pretty fast, fast enough for me anyway. Once i put it in reverse it just overides any other screens and the camera goes straight on. The only annoying thing is if someone plays around with the stereo then the reverse camera goes off and wont come back on again unless i take it out of gear then put it back in reverse.

Geeze, you guys need to chill out a little! :lol:

My car is in a lockup garage and the keys are pretty much always in the ignition. I open the door, turn the key, get in, seatbelt, footbrake off, put car in reverse and by that stage the system check is finished. If it's not, I'm happy to wait the second or two..... Its not like I'm in so much of a hurry that a couple of seconds waiting for it is going to be the difference between life and death.

Geeze, you guys need to chill out a little! :lol:

My car is in a lockup garage and the keys are pretty much always in the ignition. I open the door, turn the key, get in, seatbelt, footbrake off, put car in reverse and by that stage the system check is finished. If it's not, I'm happy to wait the second or two..... Its not like I'm in so much of a hurry that a couple of seconds waiting for it is going to be the difference between life and death.

Hehe yeah, perhaps you should wait for the oil to make its way around the engine before zooming off. :whistling: :P

I think we all need to slow down a little. Flying off in reverse is not a good thing unless you are in a smash up derby.

Ive only got a very short driveway and I always crawl out of it for fear of hitting someone or something.

All sounds nice about slowing down alittle. What about this, walk up to the car having a good look around the surroundings. Get in, and get set to turn the thing over, wait the few seconds for the dancing show to finish on the screen, then start moving. Yes it is only 5 seconds longer for the screen to be ready, but in that time the outside surrounding have now more likely changed. Is that making things safer? I think not.

I remember the days when DOS used to bootup, it told you every file that was being loaded. Now Windows just gets on with and boots. Are they running DOS still?

I can't see how anyone with a Grande has a problem.

After pushing the start button you need to put your seatbelt on and release the park brake.

Unless you don't use the park brake and are one of the many people I see putting their seat belt on as they drive down the road, it should be on by the time you select reverse.

I remember the days when DOS used to bootup, it told you every file that was being loaded. Now Windows just gets on with and boots. Are they running DOS still?

Well DOS didnlt have much to boot... these days Windows boot goes for ages telling nothing but this fancy graphics... Point is - when waiting I prefer to see some useful info if unavoidable. have no klue what does this "Checking system" in Kluger does.

After pushing the start button you need to put your seatbelt on and release the park brake.

Unless you don't use the park brake and are one of the many people I see putting their seat belt on as they drive down the road, it should be on by the time you select reverse.

My idea of the order of things would be: Get in the seat, put on seat belt, make adjustments, start the car, select gear, release the brake and start moving. From the starting of the car till the start rolling you shouldn't have to wait for the screen to start displaying what your doing.

My idea of the order of things would be: Get in the seat, put on seat belt, make adjustments, start the car, select gear, release the brake and start moving. From the starting of the car till the start rolling you shouldn't have to wait for the screen to start displaying what your doing.

So changing the order of things would solve the problem?

All microprocessor based systems take time to boot. The time taken depends on the way the software is read and what the system must check before being enabled.

If the program is kept in non-volatile memory and must be transfered to faster RAM at start-up, you have to wait. If the program is run directly from non-volatile memory, it will generally run slower.

If the system used for the camera is also a main component of the vehicles control, which may be the case with the small display screen, there would be a number of system checks performed before the system is released for other functions such as the reversing camera. This could be the reason that the Grande can display the image faster than the other models; I don't think that the audio/navigation system would need to perform any critical system checks before enabling operation.

Before we complain too much it would be interesting to find out how long other cars take to display the reverse camera image.

If the system used for the camera is also a main component of the vehicles control, which may be the case with the small display screen, there would be a number of system checks performed before the system is released for other functions such as the reversing camera.

So it might be a good idea not to drive - even forward - until this "system check" is done?

I don't think the system check takes that long in a car. Computer aren't that slow nowadays. The animation of system check is a gimmick, I don't think it is the actual time that it takes to check.

I don't think the system check takes that long in a car. Computer aren't that slow nowadays. The animation of system check is a gimmick, I don't think it is the actual time that it takes to check.

The animation of system check is very likely a gimmick. The animation is most likely shown while the screen hardare boots up and establishes communications with the main system.

The animation is just there to hide the bootup screen that all pc's have running in the background. Your losing sight of the fact that now you do have a reversing camera where as in your previous car you probably did not. Did you whinge to that manufacturer that the rear vision sucked no matter how long the car had been started....Noooo. Just be greatful that you can atleast see half your driveway when reversing instead of using the brail method like we all did in times gone by. So in responce to the original question,unfortionally no,there is no way of speeding up the time it takes to display the reversing camera at this time but hopefully in the future a different type of screen may become available and than it may improve.We are in the hands of the Toyota finance gods.

:whistling: If we have to stop that animation and the Toyota logo, we would have to write into the program in built in the system.

I wonder it can be accessed via the ECU plug in, like from the OBD port.

Some computer minded Kluger owner should make a program similar to those in the Toyota and see what option we can change!

Or you can ask the Toyota dealer to see what sort of option you can choose from their machine

I would be interested to find out how other cars with reversing cameras behave.

Esp models like Lexus RX, IS etc that should share common bloodlines with the Kluger.

I've given up on tweaking the Kluger to show the image quicker. I might ask about it at next service just for kicks...

Changing the habit of putting on the seat belt before pressing the Start buttons seems to have improved things.

I am reversing out of my parking spot in the shopping centre today. I thought the reverse camera is faster than this

This I take earlier outside in the garage.

click here

Edited by Taka